Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby razzle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm

yeah some of those archival dives are insane. I appreciate his commitment to it and him kind of gen x/millenial normalizing nu metal as musical canon like the boomers did with the eagles
At least we have

razzle
ok

Postby antoine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Numetal owns

antoine

Postby mattstan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:31 pm

I would never ever listen to anything he says about music but I love him and hope he never changes.
'I AM REAL'

mattstan

Postby virtuous » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 pm

I’ve done a lot of patreons but the street fight one is def the most bang for the buck for me. The shocktober/sports guys/holy roller stuff is all wildly good as someone that listened to TONS of radio as a kid.

Bryan is the absolute unironic “best dude”
virtuous

Postby surly » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:00 pm

auspice wrote:the point I was getting at was that these platforms exist purely to accrue capital through ad dollars, and when they get to a certain size, they can't just spontaneously remove or demonetize a popular channel in pure reaction to public demand if that channel isn't technically violating the rules they've outlined. Crowder sucks but his bullying of Maza was careful in that he never literally incited followers to harass Maza, nor did he resort to literal slurs to describe. instead, he fell back on hokey mannerisms to signal his juvenile homophobia, which is obvious to everyone who watched those videos sans the most robotic of corporate YouTube stooges.

so if YouTube decides the public outcry is too much and they have to do respond, they can't do so without altering their terms of service so that such a move now makes sense, and I believe they did so by expanding what constitutes "bullying" under their policies. the problem is that move therefore expanded the subjectivity of their definition to the point where it could theoretically allow a much larger subset of people to cry wolf on "bullying" for any video discussing them in a critical light, including, let's say, the same sorts of videos Carlos Maza made criticizing public online figures for their bullshit. this in turn led to many channels who had nothing to do with the Crowder/Maza channel getting demonetized/banned for the most innocuous of discussions over politics/culture/whatever

is the point that Maza didn't have a right to be upset and seek some sort of consequence for Crowder? of course not, he had every right to be mad, but these corporations don't give a shit about him or any of us at the end of the day. every move is calculated to fit a certain corporate image and please sponsors. it's not different from the years spent demanding that brand like Marvel do more for queer representation only for them to stick a gay guy into a five minute Avengers scene showing group counseling. this shit does not matter to them and when they do briefly give in you will only be upset with the actual results, because they are never coming from a place of genuine empathy.

this is all true, but i would argue the answer to this isn't "stop trying to police hate speech" but rather continue to push corporations and force them to hire people who can actually write and implement policies that meaningfully distinguish what is hate speech and what isn't
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby Cronos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:13 pm

surly wrote:
auspice wrote:the point I was getting at was that these platforms exist purely to accrue capital through ad dollars, and when they get to a certain size, they can't just spontaneously remove or demonetize a popular channel in pure reaction to public demand if that channel isn't technically violating the rules they've outlined. Crowder sucks but his bullying of Maza was careful in that he never literally incited followers to harass Maza, nor did he resort to literal slurs to describe. instead, he fell back on hokey mannerisms to signal his juvenile homophobia, which is obvious to everyone who watched those videos sans the most robotic of corporate YouTube stooges.

so if YouTube decides the public outcry is too much and they have to do respond, they can't do so without altering their terms of service so that such a move now makes sense, and I believe they did so by expanding what constitutes "bullying" under their policies. the problem is that move therefore expanded the subjectivity of their definition to the point where it could theoretically allow a much larger subset of people to cry wolf on "bullying" for any video discussing them in a critical light, including, let's say, the same sorts of videos Carlos Maza made criticizing public online figures for their bullshit. this in turn led to many channels who had nothing to do with the Crowder/Maza channel getting demonetized/banned for the most innocuous of discussions over politics/culture/whatever

is the point that Maza didn't have a right to be upset and seek some sort of consequence for Crowder? of course not, he had every right to be mad, but these corporations don't give a shit about him or any of us at the end of the day. every move is calculated to fit a certain corporate image and please sponsors. it's not different from the years spent demanding that brand like Marvel do more for queer representation only for them to stick a gay guy into a five minute Avengers scene showing group counseling. this shit does not matter to them and when they do briefly give in you will only be upset with the actual results, because they are never coming from a place of genuine empathy.

this is all true, but i would argue the answer to this isn't "stop trying to police hate speech" but rather continue to push corporations and force them to hire people who can actually write and implement policies that meaningfully distinguish what is hate speech and what isn't

I’ll take “end capitalism” for $200, Alex.

Cronos

Postby cool party » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:24 pm

surly wrote:continue to push corporations

yeah maybe if we say please our tech overlords will hire woke moderators
cool party

Postby surly » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 pm

Cronos wrote:
surly wrote:

I’ll take “end capitalism” for $200, Alex.

ultimately, yeah
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby MikeyJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:23 pm

make sure to add timcastIRL (tim poole podcast) to the weekly rotato

Do you think anyone but the most pretentious aristocrats could have felt that way before we trapped music in vinyl? I doubt it.

MikeyJ

Postby ten chimneys » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:12 pm

why
Sissy Spacerock wrote:IRL will only be inhabited by those of us who have learned to derive pleasure in suffering

ten chimneys

Postby MikeyJ » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 am

marketplace of ideas
Do you think anyone but the most pretentious aristocrats could have felt that way before we trapped music in vinyl? I doubt it.

MikeyJ

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:27 am

it's the suspense that gets me

Postby mattstan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:33 pm

antoine wrote:The newest This Is Sus about Billions was pretty dismal.

Enjoyed it!
'I AM REAL'

mattstan

Postby gambra » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Hitting F5 on the TrueAnon twitter every few mins for the emergency Ghislaine pod.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

gambra

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:47 pm

lol
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:10 pm

owned
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby sushi x » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:24 pm

i subbed during iowa through super and then unsubscribed because i have no income

sushi x

Postby gambra » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:36 pm

I just looked at the overall Patreon rankings and Second Captains (an Irish sports show) is wedged in between TrueAnon, Contrapoints and Cumtown which is absolutely hilarious to me. Second Captains are pretty well known here but are barely at the same level as frankly niche online creators.

gambra

Postby cool party » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 pm

lol how much of a sheltered privileged babby do you have to be to not realize that that literally just reflects people losing their jobs

"yes, i am sure this has to do with people finally acknowledging the problematic behavior of these podcasters, and in no way correlates with the massive economic trauma occurring during the exact same period of time"
cool party

Postby Cronos » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 pm

Look this is a direct result of them being mean to Liz Warren.

Cronos

Postby Skerple » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:27 pm

it's also still so much fucking money every month

Skerple

Postby Big Oil » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:51 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:

owned

all i'm getting from this is that the Chapo patreon numbers are a better indicator of the actual health of the economy than the S&P500

Big Oil

Postby goovis young » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:13 pm

honestly it's also a much better value than any big newspaper oped page
goovis young

Postby quilty » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 pm

imagine 30,000 people paying you for anything and that’s somehow the downside

quilty
ok

Postby came to wreck » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:03 am

dam 160k a month? how many ppl split it?

came to wreck

Postby saranclaps » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:08 am

what the fuck is jim cant swim
https://www.patreon.com/jimcantswim
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby gambra » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:16 am

Minimum 6 ways, possibly more. Core 5 + Chris for sure and I think there's other people they have "on staff" too like the people who made the Iowa doc with Chris.

gambra

Postby galactagogue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:35 pm

yeah the amount they make is pretty crazy. also considering the quality over all of what they do has seriously dropped but idk
it's not like they coerce people into $5 subscription.

i've never paid for a chapo ep in my life but that's cus i'm not a chump.
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby antoine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:42 pm

Never pay for chapo

antoine

Postby antoine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Them being rich is the ol Rage Against The Machine paradox redux. Honestly it makes me uncomfortable but hey turns out there's a huge market for being against markets.

antoine

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....