boring leftist podcast thread

Let's talk hats

Postby Barthes Starr » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:26 pm

jefe górgory wrote:
came to wreck wrote:wow never knew ppl referred to it as 1/6 like its 9/11

For some people I think it is basically the second or third most important day since 9/11

this would make for a good thread
top 5 most important days in the 2000s and why
Barthes Starr

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:31 pm

badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby petrichor » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:37 pm

references to january 6th have truly overtaken charlottesville references as the cultural mill establishment equivalent of
virile wrote:have fun with your discourse bud!

petrichor

Postby jefe górgory » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:43 pm

Barthes Starr wrote:
jefe górgory wrote:
came to wreck wrote:wow never knew ppl referred to it as 1/6 like its 9/11

For some people I think it is basically the second or third most important day since 9/11

this would make for a good thread
top 5 most important days in the 2000s and why

My wedding and the birth of my four beautiful children, thank you very much.
in the process of making 100k off serie a fan tokens by socios

jefe górgory

Postby quinine » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:57 pm

bug chaser wrote:references to january 6th have truly overtaken charlottesville references as the cultural mill establishment equivalent of

ugh every time I hear some pundit say "since Charlottesville" or whatever I get completely discombobulated before eventually recalling oh yeah it's apparently a mainstream opinion that white supremacy wasn't a real thing in modern america until a suitable spectacle was manufactured for it

quinine
ok

Postby auspice » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:09 pm

quinine wrote:ugh every time I hear some pundit say "since Charlottesville" or whatever I get completely discombobulated before eventually recalling oh yeah it's apparently a mainstream opinion that white supremacy wasn't a real thing in modern america until a suitable spectacle was manufactured for it

yeah, I definitely hate being in the middle where you can simultaneously believe that the storming of the Capitol by MAGA idiots is an unsettling sign of how many within the capitol police clearly enabled that to happen and also that using the capitol siege as a full stop on all of the problems with this country as if they have nothing to do with Biden and our current politicians in office is really frustratingly ignorant. can only go insane from here.
Joker wrote:"I'm pooping and peeing and I love it!"

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby auspice » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:20 pm

fuuuuuuuuck

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:28 pm

man that sucks. that whole story is ludicrous. hopefully there's still some room to appeal or somehow get this seen by an impartial judge/court
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby auspice » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:39 pm

I think I remember him saying that his lawyers believe such a conviction can be easily overturned, it just means at least a year in actual prison while they work on the case. But yeah the overall precedent of this whole thing is terrifying.

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby quinine » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:50 pm

weird how the WSJ describes him as "disbarred attorney" without mentioning how he was disbarred based on testimony from a dude who has since admitted to making it up

quinine
ok

Postby Big Oil » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:11 pm

alaska wrote:i mentioned this already but kye is the only one of these ive listened to in the last 10 months in large part bc i hung out with sam a few times and he is so extremely chill and kind. just someone who manifestly wants the world to be better than it is and works really hard to make it that way. i know a half dozen plus people who have gone into nyc lefty media (including at least one bona fide sociopath) and hes probably the only one im like unmitigatedly happy for lol

this is great to hear and it 100% comes through in the show. i get being suspicious of that tone/approach, or even bored by it if you listen to podcasts primarily for fun bits and cathartic dunks (which is fine! i usually have to be in a certain frame of mind to listen to KYE), but it is the furthest thing from the NPR view-from-nowhere shit

Big Oil

Postby Big Oil » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:06 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:man that sucks. that whole story is ludicrous. hopefully there's still some room to appeal or somehow get this seen by an impartial judge/court

[CONTRARIAN ALERT]

i read the full opinion this morning (here if anyone is curious) and it's a very different story from the one that Donziger paints in public interviews. honestly Kaplan comes across as patient and reasonable and Donziger... comes off as a dissembling asshole and a bad lawyer who is in WAY over his head. if he were representing anyone other than himself in a bunch of these motions his actions would constitute malpractice multiple times over. the arguments about conflict of interest in the contempt proceedings sound damning if you hear him describe it, but if you actually look at his arguments and the facts of the case, they're all bullshit. one of his arguments about the special prosecutors in the case not being disinterested is that they served on the same law school alumni board as the magistrate judge... like come on, man.

it's the same thing with the issue at the heart of his stated opposition to Kaplan's discovery orders (though he refused to comply with a bunch of orders, not just this one): he has claimed in interviews that Kaplan ordered broad discovery to Chevron of basically all files on his computer and phone, and that he has been violating the orders to protect attorney-client privilege. i really cannot stress what a bad-faith, utter bullshit framing that is. there were discovery requests, and later orders, for specific files and a privilege log for anything that was withheld (standard discovery practice), which Donziger ignored multiple times over. he was so negligent in responding to discovery requests that he waived privilege (and also based most of his objections on the First Amendment, which like what the fuck). again, i cannot understate what an immense fuckup that is if you are a practicing attorney. and even with all that, Kaplan fashioned a discovery order for his devices that did not let Chevron/its attorneys just search his computer as they pleased like he states in interviews. instead, Kaplan appointed a neutral forensic expert to collect the devices, image everything, make a report of custodians, etc., to negotiate which files would be searchable and potentially discoverable, and only then would the Chevron expert be allowed to search for responsive files.

there are little things in the opinion that make Donziger sound like an asshole too. the thing that stands out to me is that he was forbidden from selling or assigning his contingency fee in the underlying litigation after the RICO ruling. he did it anyway... to pay for executive coaching. from the correspondence and history recounted in the opinion, it sounds like the guy who coached him thought he was getting a piece of the Ecuadorian judgment instead of payment, not knowing that Donziger had no remaining interest in that judgment and no way of collecting on it.

death to Chevron, always and forever, but the idea that this is some conspiracy between Chevron and a bunch of article III judges to shut him up because he beat goliath just doesn't accord with reality in any way. frankly from everything I've seen, it seems like Donziger and his legal team fucked up a completely winnable case by doing fraud, and now his Ecuadorian clients either will never be able to enforce the judgment or will spend vast, unnecessary sums doing so because of his shitty lawyering.

Big Oil

Postby dragon jeans » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:42 am

dang - that's a bummer :/

dragon jeans

Postby helen just » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:18 am

send that post to chapo i guess!
helen just

Postby ashtrayheart » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:28 pm

who cares about donzingers aptitude as a lawyer or whether he’s an asshole or not. as you said in the last paragraph, fuck chevron. fuck the corrupt and willfully arcane hallways of “justice” in a broken court system designed to protect the most evil people in the world. you can suss out whatever details you want about the case but it seems irrelevant to the larger picture.

ashtrayheart

Postby dragon jeans » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:45 am

Also a valid point.

dragon jeans

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:05 pm

"If I had to hang out with Mike Lindell I'm going to like French Laundry one of those restaurants where you pay $200 for seafoam."

lol
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Anne Appelbaum truly is one of the biggest doofuses in all of media, just excruciating

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby kirito » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:34 pm

ripersnifle wrote:"If I had to hang out with Mike Lindell I'm going to like French Laundry one of those restaurants where you pay $200 for seafoam."

lol

this episode rocked
the devil my opp
can't pay me to stop (it's lit!)
my god at the top (laflame)

kirito

Postby dragon jeans » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:15 am

the chasten stuff was genuinely sad :(

dragon jeans

Postby auspice » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:16 pm

I had a dream last night that I was interviewing/being trained for a job at Chapo by Felix. we were in like a huge building though as if Chapo were its own media company and there were hundreds of people I kept meeting and pitching ideas to. Felix was a sweetheart in the dream and wasn't even cracking jokes or anything. At some point I had to do a challenge and I think I failed it.

why the fuck am I dreaming about Felix Biederman

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby auspice » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:18 pm

dragon jeans wrote:the chasten stuff was genuinely sad :(

was dying at all the "We will watch HBO and bant with you dude" jokes. whatever private side of Pete must have existed for Chasten to marry him must be gone now.

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby walt whitman » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:52 pm

dragon jeans wrote:the chasten stuff was genuinely sad :(

bahaha
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby dragon jeans » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:35 am

Idk I can’t get much schadenfreude about someone being in over their head in what is clearly an awful, manipulative, sublimating marriage (unless they did something really terrible to deserve it). He seems like a real herb but that ain’t a crime.

dragon jeans

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:32 am

The music in the No Evil Foods anti union video sounds like the Phantasy Star II soundtrack. Somehow very appropriate.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:21 pm

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby swamp angel » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:28 pm

lol that's pretty good. i know nothing about the guy, but he is really committed to spamming his book in twitter replies

swamp angel

Postby light rail coyote » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:31 pm

one of the only twitter bits that somehow gets funnier every time

light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:41 pm

yeah the Rick Paulus bit is legit funny

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:47 pm

he legit got me for a sec

Rainbow Battle Kid

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone