Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby antoine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Also I guess Will's dad was an editor at the Atlantic or some shit. Privilege much Mr menaker???!! Also hes the least funny one.

antoine

Postby galactagogue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:29 pm

i kinda hate will now :( i like when he reminded me more of the radio kid from Wet Hot American Summer

Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby bongo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:42 pm

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby auspice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:00 pm

yeah the amount the chapo people split is insane. it's a big part of why the Bernie tour gave me weird vibes, obviously they were joking and trying to help, but when they're sitting on a stage raking in this $$$ from a primarily low-income fanbase and saying stuff like "you do the canvassing, let us worry about the Warren owning" it's kinda iffy.

like at most they basically work two days a week, sometimes once considering people skip episodes. I think it would be interesting to see how exactly they split the funds, like do they all have a set bi-weekly paycheck or do they pay themselves on an episode appearance basis? how much money goes into a general Chapo fund for events, merch and such?

auspice

Postby bongo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:02 pm

it’s beyond iffy. they’re grifters and they suck.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:20 pm

what’s the right amount for them to just give up to make y’all feel better about their earnings?
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:21 pm

lol all of it lol
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:22 pm

is there a podcast that's like cum town but just dudes pretending to be gay for 90 minutes? i listened to my first episode this week and it's about what i expected but they honest to god talk about politics too much.
it's the suspense that gets me

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:22 pm

i swear if bryan and brett start pulling in crazy money and everyone complains
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby auspice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:30 pm

I'm not complaining, it's not like they're stealing their money from anyone, they obviously have a sweet deal going on that any one of us would kill to have ourselves.

It's just a bizarre position they are in, especially given how heavily focused they can be on labor issues, because the actual labor that goes into the show they do is extremely minimal and they make a ton of money for it. Aside from being able to see what the monthly Patreon takeaway is, you'd think they'd be more forthcoming with the position they're in and how much they're getting paid from all this.

auspice

Postby separator » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:34 pm

mcwop23 wrote:lol all of it lol

separator

Postby harry mason » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:35 pm

it's the suspense that gets me wrote:is there a podcast that's like cum town but just dudes pretending to be gay for 90 minutes? i listened to my first episode this week and it's about what i expected but they honest to god talk about politics too much.

say no more

harry mason

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:39 pm

hell yeah
it's the suspense that gets me

Postby galactagogue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:55 pm

i mean im more so curious what it frees them up to do that isn't explicitly profitable or necessary in the usual practical sense. i'm not too interested in judging them for being popular (tho i do kinda hope they don't just blow it overwhelmingly on tons of hypocritically dumb/selfish shit)

if i had fuck you money like that i think i would indulge tho.
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby cool party » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:13 pm

auspice is extremely correct and i'm pretty sure me trying to make that same point like a year ago was part of what gave the thread its current title
cool party

Postby cool party » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:15 pm

i think it wouldn't hit me as much if we didn't know how privileged will is. like if they were just some working class schlubs generating this kind of income (i guess Amber kind of is, i think Felix is upper middle class, don't really know about the others) i would be more willing to "more power to them," but Will's family already has enough money for him to not work in his life so the idea that they actually need this kind of income is obscene

i agree that it would be more ideologically consistent for them to be more transparent, but they didn't come at this podcast from like a grassroots mutual aid style organizing culture where that might be more expected, they were just guys who were online a lot who started a media business that was more successful than they could've predicted. i think it's sort of similar to when people were asking these questions of independent musicians--there's no way to really tastefully answer the question without looking bad/like you *are* contravening your values.
cool party

Postby antoine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:25 pm

auspice wrote:I'm not complaining, it's not like they're stealing their money from anyone, they obviously have a sweet deal going on that any one of us would kill to have ourselves.

It's just a bizarre position they are in, especially given how heavily focused they can be on labor issues, because the actual labor that goes into the show they do is extremely minimal and they make a ton of money for it. Aside from being able to see what the monthly Patreon takeaway is, you'd think they'd be more forthcoming with the position they're in and how much they're getting paid from all this.

Yeah. It's also funny that the pomplamoose guy must be many times richer than any of these people.

antoine

Postby antoine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:26 pm

How much does patreon as a platform take anyway

antoine

Postby Skerple » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:27 pm

antoine wrote:
auspice wrote:I'm not complaining, it's not like they're stealing their money from anyone, they obviously have a sweet deal going on that any one of us would kill to have ourselves.

Yeah. It's also funny that the pomplamoose guy must be many times richer than any of these people.

no no no fucking no i forgot about this no

Skerple

Postby auspice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:30 pm

I just wanna re-stress that I really enjoy the podcast and don't think any of these hosts are terrible people or anything like that, despite bad takes some of them have had. It's just the nature of their situation looks kinda weird when juxtaposed against their fanbase and the reasons why they have fans in the first place. Given the amount of money they are making I hope they have real expansive plans for the future to make the most of it instead of just pocketing it until they all inevitably part their separate ways, split the fanbase and just become full-time streamers.

it's part of the larger issue surrounding the overall podcast bubble and the fact that people are able to make piles of money for "work" that amounts to having a conversation with their friends 1-2 times a week. given that they rely entirely on patreon and don't do ads it's not like Chapo are the main representatives of this issue (looking at you Bill "I'm gonna give my daughter a podcast while underpaying my workers" Simmons). given how much Chapo focuses on overall accountability in the internet age you would think they'd strive to be open and honest about how the money has impacted them/what they spend it on. I much prefer when people own up to being a in a privileged situation financially and what it affords their personal life instead of masquerading as working class.

auspice

Postby antoine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:31 pm

On the one cushvlog where Matt grills he gives a really weak hand wave to his wealth and excuses the chapo enterprise from capitalism bc he considers himself an "artisan" as a podcaster. I dunno I thought that was kinda :? and he seemed really defensive about it.

antoine

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:32 pm

yeah patreon takes a shitload in
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby cool party » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:35 pm

auspice wrote:I just wanna re-stress that I really enjoy the podcast and don't think any of these hosts are terrible people or anything like that, despite bad takes some of them have had. It's just the nature of their situation looks kinda weird when juxtaposed against their fanbase and the reasons why they have fans in the first place. Given the amount of money they are making I hope they have real expansive plans for the future to make the most of it instead of just pocketing it until they all inevitably part their separate ways, split the fanbase and just become full-time streamers.

it's part of the larger issue surrounding the overall podcast bubble and the fact that people are able to make piles of money for "work" that amounts to having a conversation with their friends 1-2 times a week. given that they rely entirely on patreon and don't do ads it's not like Chapo are the main representatives of this issue (looking at you Bill "I'm gonna give my daughter a podcast while underpaying my workers" Simmons). given how much Chapo focuses on overall accountability in the internet age you would think they'd strive to be open and honest about how the money has impacted them/what they spend it on. I much prefer when people own up to being a in a privileged situation financially and what it affords their personal life instead of masquerading as working class.

very well said. the success of the podcast is based in large part off of their criticism of do-nothing media boomers like megan mcardle who adopt social darwinist policies, but themselves did nothing to achieve their wealth. this is where their terms "failson" and "faildaughter" come from. it's a criticism of a society that rewards capital and social standing more than labor.

so, it is not ideal that in the eyes of the media they are the standard bearer for a certain part of the left, but have all of these problems with not owning up to privilege
cool party

Postby auspice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:37 pm

antoine wrote:On the one cushvlog where Matt grills he gives a really weak hand wave to his wealth and excuses the chapo enterprise from capitalism bc he considers himself an "artisan" as a podcaster. I dunno I thought that was kinda :? and he seemed really defensive about it.

that's exactly what I'm talking about, that Bernie tour went waaaaay to their heads. like anyone else I love it when they dish on blue-check idiots but when you peak under the surface there's clearly a similar mode of thinking, but they probably excuse it because their political inclinations are vastly preferable to mainstream liberalism.

auspice

Postby antoine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Jack Pomplamoose is the real passive income generating capitalist pig. He sickens me. Patreon sickens me to an extent. I get how it's good in some ways for artists and "content creators" but the morality of it seems pretty grey to me. I guess in regards to how auspice framed it in relation to actual labor. Working class people don't have the option at all to crowd fund wages and theyre working many times harder and longer than any podcaster or youtuber. Unfortunately entertainment is valued above nearly anything in our culture so let's give the entertainers all our meager earnings as normie idiots.

antoine

Postby auspice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:40 pm

cool party wrote:
auspice wrote:I just wanna re-stress that I really enjoy the podcast and don't think any of these hosts are terrible people or anything like that, despite bad takes some of them have had. It's just the nature of their situation looks kinda weird when juxtaposed against their fanbase and the reasons why they have fans in the first place. Given the amount of money they are making I hope they have real expansive plans for the future to make the most of it instead of just pocketing it until they all inevitably part their separate ways, split the fanbase and just become full-time streamers.

very well said. the success of the podcast is based in large part off of their criticism of do-nothing media boomers like megan mcardle who adopt social darwinist policies, but themselves did nothing to achieve their wealth. this is where their terms "failson" and "faildaughter" come from. it's a criticism of a society that rewards capital and social standing more than labor.

so, it is not ideal that in the eyes of the media they are the standard bearer for a certain part of the left, but have all of these problems with not owning up to privilege

all that being said anyone could still technically counter this with the tried and true, "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism," AKA the iPhone defense. at the end of the day we all know we'd kill for this to our job

life is always just shitty/lucky dice rolls

auspice

Postby antoine » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Yeah but there's also mechanisms for generating income in the entertainment industry that are flat out not possible for working people. Royalties and intellectual property rights. Not that artists shouldn't be paid but theres a ponzi scheme quality to all that stuff. You do a short amount of labor and then earn off the product without doing anything. Eh I miss Napster.

antoine

Postby Spooky Jim » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm

I think about this question too in regards to musicians and artists as well. Is there any fair means in which a person can make a living as an artist or musician? I have a more complete thought on this topic but I am on my phone and too brain dead currently to type it all out.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby surly » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:37 pm

antoine wrote:Yeah but there's also mechanisms for generating income in the entertainment industry that are flat out not possible for working people. Royalties and intellectual property rights. Not that artists shouldn't be paid but theres a ponzi scheme quality to all that stuff. You do a short amount of labor and then earn off the product without doing anything. Eh I miss Napster.

this seems like a wild misunderstanding of what the vast majority of musicians go through in order to actually be able to eat, much less succeed financially
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby surly » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:44 pm

on the broader topic, sure it would be good if leftists who found a way to make a living promoting the cause can reconcile the privilege that money provides with their ideals, but at the end of the day we live in a capitalist hellworld where even if you had a decent paying job and retirement savings, it can all go away like that when the dipshit financial class causes an economic collapse. ensuring your own financial security and trying to provide some semblance of security to others is a balancing act, and i don't envy anyone trying to figure out where that balance is
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....