STAR WARS/Mando Thread: My Jedi Academia Sept 22nd

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby kirito » Wed May 26, 2021 8:02 pm

i like that vader has a house where he just vibes. what else is he gonna do most of the time
the devil my opp
can't pay me to stop (it's lit!)
my god at the top (laflame)

kirito

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed May 26, 2021 8:04 pm

Yeah crazy to think Vader doesn’t own property, he’s probably a landlord too
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed May 26, 2021 8:08 pm

his vibe and voice and everything felt so "off"

rogue one slaps other than the leia/tarkin/vader stuff imo

mads mikkelsen gives a surprisingly good performance i think. his video speech scene is really well done, and i've probably said it before but the specific way he says "Death Star" is really good. like the audience will have heard that name a billion times by now, but he has to say it so it sounds like it MEANS something and he totally pulls it off i think.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Joker » Wed May 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Waaaaaiiiiiiittt a minute ...

Joker

Postby badhat_ » Wed May 26, 2021 8:15 pm

it was pretty weird when there were like key sequences in the rogue one trailers that werent in the movie

There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat_

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Wed May 26, 2021 9:09 pm

cutting any close ups of sickass tie fighters is unforgiveable
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Milk » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:49 pm

from quora (thank god for experts):

Why don't Jedi deactivate lightsabers to avoid being blocked?

Because lightsabers work the way George Lucas thought swords work, which actually does seem somewhat reasonable from a user-perspective if not a physics one, and there…deactivating your blade is generally going to get you killed.

When we teach new fencers how to use longswords, we usually start by teaching them parry, riposte. What my club calls “simple” parries. Really, they mean blocks. Interpose your blade in the path of his and stop it dead. Eventually we move on to better, but more difficult, parries, such as deflections, beats, and gathers.

Which leads into counters. A parry-riposte is a two-tempo action. Defend yourself, then attack. A counter is a single-tempo action. Defend yourself while attacking.

Whether executing a counter or some complex parry-riposte plays, it is extremely common to seek to control his blade in the process. That is, I may open with an attack I expect him to counter. It’s not a feint, I am trying to wound him and if he does nothing he’ll die, but I don’t put my all into it because, well, he’s not stupid. So he parries and offers the expected riposte, just as I wanted, so that I may gather his blade, control it, and from this position of control offend him without fear.

None of that works if I turn my blade off.

Now, much of this doesn’t work as well with a lightsaber because many of these actions are dependent on a crossguard. But lets try translating this into lightsaber, to see why turning off the blade isn’t a great idea, and we’ll do so in a manner that doesn’t require a crossguard.

I open with an overhand cut to his head.
He parries with a countercut. We are more or less mirrored.

I step in, rising my hilt to my left, pivoting around the bind.
I am inside his guard now, my blade held vertically, tip down, his blade outside.
I grasp his hands with my left to control him, and come my blade off his and cut around my head to strike him.
Had I instead turned my blade off for but a moment he would be inside my guard as equally as I his and we would likely have killed each other.

Newbies think only of offense.

Beginners are taught to think of defense and then offense.

Skilled fighters think of defense and offense together. How can I defend myself and offend him at the same time. So that blink-off counter you think so clever could very well allow him to offend you first.

And if I know you like to stutter your blade, I may offer an opening to provoke you to strike, parry, and in the moment your blade is gone change positioning so that when you reignite you will be both outside my blade and allow me to threaten you.

While this sounds odd, you can actually fence with a sword that isn’t there. One drill my club runs is shadow-sparring, and it’s really interesting when you get to the point where you can feel the blade in your hand, but more interesting is knowing where his is. I was running this drill with my saber coach, and I know his distance so well that when I failed to parry correctly I swear I felt his blade strike my knee even though both our hands were empty.

It was particularly funny that I swore and said he clipped my knee, and another student asked how I knew that, and I realized I didn’t know how to answer. I just did.

So in the same way, your enemy, if skillful enough, can fence with you even if your blade is not there such that you would be disadvantaged by reigniting it and he may thereby strike to you without permitting you to offend him.

Now it’s possible some niche circumstances may allow that a stuttered blade is useful, but not in the general case.

I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby Frank » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:01 pm

ah yes, quora, thank you internet experts
lv3 has a tiny penis

Frank

Postby kirito » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:24 am

props to the bad batch for having the guts to bring back literally the two worst star wars characters of all time
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby dark budlite supernova » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:10 am

kirito wrote:props to the bad batch for having the guts to bring back literally the two worst star wars characters of all time

I know basically nothing about this show but I'm having fun trying to guess who these two all time worst characters are. I'm gonna say Boss Nass and Elan Sleazebaggano

dark budlite supernova

Postby kirito » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:11 am

nobody who appeared in the movies unfortunately. the characters you mentioned own
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby davideotape » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:23 am

controversial opinion maybe but if a character hasnt been in a live action film or series its not a real character yet. main reason im bummed filoni is taking over the tv stuff now
oh, word?

davideotape

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:26 am

in theory i'm bummed, and i didn't like the direction that Mando went in the last few, BUT the ep Filoni himself directed ended up being really rad imo, and i've had next door to zero interest in the cartoons
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby kirito » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:44 am

on the other hand it was funny to see people gushing over ahsoka in the mandalorian when she was probably the most hated character of all time at her debut other than jar jar, even after 2 or 3 seasons of clone wars she was still derided as dave’s precious oc pet who has to be shoehorned in at every possible opportunity. i like her and i’m sure some people have always liked her, just saying it’s funny
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby kirito » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 am

the characters i mentioned in the bad batch aren’t like that. there’s no redemption for them.
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby Drinky » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 am

kirito wrote:props to the bad batch for having the guts to bring back literally the two worst star wars characters of all time

Are you talking about the two siblings from the last season of Clone Wars? If so, I mean, yeah they were kinda lame, but not exactly Ziro the Hutt level.

Drinky

Postby kirito » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:01 pm

the worst sin you can commit as a star wars character is being boring
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby hbb » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:24 pm

More like star bores!
hbb

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:33 pm

it IS more like that!

light rail coyote

Postby hbb » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:35 pm

That’s why I said it!
hbb

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:47 pm

i like zira the hutt and ashoka and also hando. fuck it i guess im a child. i dont really care about rex and all of these clone guys though
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored

Self Destructive Zone

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:48 pm

the best cartoon lore are non-jedi/sith force users. i wish the movies included them at all
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored

Self Destructive Zone

Postby kecapmanis » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:26 pm

rogue one is so much better than any of the other new star wars movies
kecapmanis

Postby easy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:15 pm

hbb wrote:That’s why I said it!

that’s why I laughed

easy
does it

Postby kirito » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm

newest bad batch whipped
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby kirito » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:52 pm

kirito wrote:newest bad batch whipped

if you stopped watching this show just skip straight to the last two episodes. show is on another level now
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby Drinky » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:58 pm

I was just thinking how bored I am with it now and how I wish Loki was coming out on Fridays instead of this

Drinky

Postby davideotape » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:13 am

Im kind of getting into the bad batch. Im definitely not getting some of the “easter eggs” and callbacks though. Like that blue dude was clearly someone sw-famous or something, right?
oh, word?

davideotape

Postby Bob511 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:32 am

davideotape wrote:Like that blue dude was clearly someone sw-famous or something, right?
Not really, just in these Clone Wars-derived series.
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby kirito » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:39 am

cad bane is a cool guy
the devil my opp

kirito

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone