Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby shacky » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm

diego seems nice i hope landor casrissian gets to touch yabba
shacky

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 pm

damn i literally came here to post this once i realized it was a possibility

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby emotional fascism » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm

reversemigraine wrote:The 2-3 years leading up to ANH are probably where the universe is at its best, tbh, so I'm totally fine with this. Funny how much they're continuing to mine the unused Underground / 1313 stuff.

yeah. for me it goes back to when I was a kid and Star Wars was all that existed and the rebels vs the empire stuff was the most exciting element. still can't get enough of that part of the Star Wars universe.
emotional fascism

Postby shacky » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 pm

the texture of yabba is something i need to discover
shacky

Postby Viola Swamp » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:02 pm

k2so is the aspergers droid voiced by wash from firefly
Viola Swamp

Postby kirito » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 am

diego luna was good in the movie but they should ease up on some of the moral ambiguity surrounding the character and where the rebellion is at in that time period. dude murders some informant without hesitating and is fine with carrying out a political assassination ordered by rebel leadership in the movie and it's uncomfortable as hell and feels really wrong.
kirito

Postby davideotape » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:37 am

Cosigned. Hated this and thought it had no place in a world filled with pretty cut and dry goodies and baddies. This moral grey area is the kinda nonsense they’re always fighting against. TLJ touches on this a lot i think, and is a lot of what Rose’s character corrects.

kirito wrote:diego luna was good in the movie but they should ease up on some of the moral ambiguity surrounding the character and where the rebellion is at in that time period. dude murders some informant without hesitating and is fine with carrying out a political assassination ordered by rebel leadership in the movie and it's uncomfortable as hell and feels really wrong.
davideotape

Postby Poptone » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:16 am

kirito wrote:diego luna was good in the movie but they should ease up on some of the moral ambiguity surrounding the character and where the rebellion is at in that time period. dude murders some informant without hesitating and is fine with carrying out a political assassination ordered by rebel leadership in the movie and it's uncomfortable as hell and feels really wrong.

i...disagree. especially since part of Rogue One's mission was the dirty up the universe a bit, add grit and whatnot.

that moment where he has to kill his informant informs his character every bit as much as han shooting first i think
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:17 am

he's a scoundrel
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:26 am

like, i don't wanna watch a Bothan being tortured to death or anything, but those moments in RO really added a sense of danger and tension to the world.

and it's something RO explored in other characters, too - the moral or societal grey areas they exist in. is Saw Gerrera just a nutso extremist or do his tactics add value to the Rebellion? Chirrut has clearly tapped into the Force, but he's not quite a Jedi. Galen's an imperial officer but an unwilling and sympathetic one. K-2SO is a droid who is neither obedient or willing to defer to humans, something we haven't really seen in a droid before. etc. etc.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:37 pm

If they turn DIego into Dexter, then it's a problem, but yeah, within the context of Rogue One, I was fine with his character.

Star Wars needs its optimism, I agree, but even the ST has characters questioning the right thing to do.

I mean in some ways you can even draw a line from Leia being in the Rebel Alliance and a Senator, to a Senator in the New Republic, to once again leaving politics and becoming a full-time General in the Resistance.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby emotional fascism » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Poptone wrote:

i...disagree. especially since part of Rogue One's mission was the dirty up the universe a bit, add grit and whatnot.

that moment where he has to kill his informant informs his character every bit as much as han shooting first i think

yeah and it wasn't glossed over. he even mentions that he's done some awful things for the rebellion and didn't want to feel like it was for nothing.

"We've all done terrible things on behalf of the Rebellion. Spies, saboteurs, assassins. Everything I did, I did for the Rebellion. And every time I walked away from something I wanted to forget, I told myself it was for a cause that I believed in. A cause that was worth it. Without that, we're lost. Everything we've done would have been for nothing. I couldn't face myself if I gave up now. None of us could."
emotional fascism

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Been a while since we had any spoilers, but we're a year out now, more or less, so hopefully stuff will start to leak.

I'll post the links of some recent stuff and then spoiler cap the quick summary to save you the bother. I guess the URL of the makingstarwars link does contain a slight spoiler so I'll put it in spoiler caps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/ ... some_info/
https://makingstarwars.net/2018/11/does-kylo-ren-wear-a-helmet-and-does-bb-8-get-a-new-sidekick-in-star-wars-episode-ix/

- They are shooting on location in Jordan. People have claimed to see basically all the main characters there.

- Sounds like Kylo rebuilds his helmet with red duct tape. The MSW guy said it might be a combo Ren/Vader helmet with a bit of Maul because of the red/black.

- Latest rumor is Poe & Finn go on an adventure, and Rose and Rey go on an adventure.

- Reddit guy who was at a marketing meeting says the film culminates with a battle between Kylo and Rey. I'm as shocked as you are.

- Film will be about 1 year after TLJ.

- Rey will have a rebuilt Luke saber. Will already be reforged, we won't see that onscreen

- in a way to try to top Porgs for cuteness, it sounds like there will be a tiny droid named something like "Dio" which will follow around BB-8 like a duckling after its mom.
Toggle Spoiler

- I honestly haven't gone out of my way to check for spoilers, so I might have missed something, but that's what I have to date.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:28 pm

I can just imagine the LFL meetings over trying to top the Porgs

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:29 pm

There was also something about Lando's daughterToggle Spoiler being a minor character, but who knows whether that's legit.
reversemigraine

Postby easy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 pm

adventures are sick seeming
easy
does it

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:40 pm

duckling droidToggle Spoiler sounds bad but of course when i see the movie I will love it
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby easy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:43 pm

I bet it’ll be (griffy newmz voice) chaaaaaarrrmiiiiing
easy
does it

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 pm

yeah some of the stuff sounds iffy but so far they've done good with these so i'm optimistic. i really hope we get some time with all 3 leads TOGETHER, and i guess that we get a nice clean ending to the trilogy without it feeling too much like they need to set up other stuff or whatever. honestly the end of TLJ would have kinda worked other than Rey not feeling like she has a full "luke saves his father" type arc
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 pm

I was very pro-last jedi in spite of it's faults but I'm gonna be honest and admit I'm not super optimistic about this one.
light rail coyote

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:53 pm

how did you feel about TFA? i feel like i always like it more than i remember when i rewatch it
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby badhat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:00 pm

i’m not optimistic abt this one precisely because i liked and respected the last jedi and am pretty resigned to this kneecapping a lot of its subversions and settling for something bland and agreeable and global market-friendly.
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby Amblin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:01 pm

that is exactly what makes me optimistic
Amblin

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Man i just like the other 2 so much and the trilogy wrapping up crappily will def taint them a little
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:how did you feel about TFA? i feel like i always like it more than i remember when i rewatch it

whoops I misread your post- I end up liking it less than I remember.

yeah this is exactly it for me. I love the new cast a lot, but the movie itself feels like it devolves a bit too much into "holy shit this is a STAR WARS movie" a bit too much for me. abrams seems like he was really obsessed with the overall mythology and connecting everything to the original in a way that detracts a lot from the ability to build a new story in this world. I mean, the entire maguffin is basically "rey goes on adventure to find the original star wars". the last jedi has it's problems but it's admirable in the way that it tries to push open space to tell a new story but based on TFA and abrams' other work, I'm skeptical of his ability to run with this other than just instantly revert back to the stuff that made TFA not really hold up that much on rewatch.

the last time I watched it, I was kind of surprised at how abruptly the movie slams to a halt every time harrison ford is on screen. his performance is fine but it's so self-consciously "look, he's passing the dang baton!"
Last edited by light rail coyote on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
light rail coyote

Postby Amblin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:04 pm

next year i can guarantee two things:

the mandalorian will be amazing

galaxy's edge will be amazing

so IX will just be icing unless somehow rian johnson gets to do rewrites/reshoots in the next year and it comes out like tlj
Amblin

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:06 pm

yeah the Han/Tarkin/CGI Leia/Kessel Run/etc stuff is by far my least favorite stuff in the new movies. (Han has some good moments though)

i DO like Luke and Leia in TLJ a lot though
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:08 pm

man i love this shit
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:16 pm

yeah that's probably my favorite sequence in the movie and it sucks that it splits them up so we can spend time with harrison ford reminding us that he was in a star wars movie before
light rail coyote

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Yeah weirdly I think the movie is the MOST like "THIS FEELS LIKE STAR WARS" right up until Han & Chewie show up :(

then maybe Rey sneaking around after she escapes
Rainbow Battle Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....