Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby furrowed brow » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:53 pm

Hey Colin, STFU!!

furrowed brow

Postby marta » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:10 pm

that MSW guy does not seem to have a healthy brain

i mean, even within the context of adults whose lives are oriented around star wars

marta

Postby quinine » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Amblin wrote:I'm biased because I worked on that attraction but it is basically the best and most awesome theme park ride ever

that lightsaber cutting thru the ceiling effect looks cool, hows it done? combo of practical effect and projection mapping?

quinine
ok

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Yeah, I liked that. Having almost no experience with this kind of stuff, I thought the simulation of laserblasts and explosions was pretty well done.

The final Kylo Ren animatronic was kinda clunky -- he moves like Mitzi from Showbiz -- but otherwise I thought that stuff looked all right too.

reversemigraine

Postby kirito » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:40 pm

quinine wrote:
Amblin wrote:I'm biased because I worked on that attraction but it is basically the best and most awesome theme park ride ever

that lightsaber cutting thru the ceiling effect looks cool, hows it done? combo of practical effect and projection mapping?

this is so awesome

kirito

Postby bluemovers » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:47 am

new Mando was pretty sweet

bluemovers

Postby shacky » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:29 am

yeah pretty much exactly the direction i wanted this to continue in

- dogfight!
- were we on tattooine at the start of the show too and i just wasn't paying attention?
- mos eisley was fun to see (is the cantina the set you were talkin bout amblin?)
- i liked the touch of droids running the joint now, the kid sitting in han's spot with his feet up was a bit much tho
- were those mechanic droids from phantom menace or from the SE, i don't remember, but they made them not annoying which was nice
- lol at "she has the high ground"
- this ep felt reeaally short and maybe a bit lacking in ideas?
Toggle Spoiler

shacky

Postby bluemovers » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:41 am

so were they introducing a new big bad at the end there, or is that someone we've already met?Toggle Spoiler

bluemovers

Postby shacky » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:47 am

someone new i think, i had no idea who it was sposed to be anyway

shacky

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:10 am

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2019/ ... alker-saga

You mentioned identifying loose ends from throughout the saga. How daunting does it become getting everything into a single movie?

I think that, by my last count, there were 24 character arcs in the movie. Twenty-four characters whose stories had sort of beginning, middle, and end. So it’s daunting, but also, we would tell ourselves that this is just the history of the galaxy. It’s not like we’ve got to make up some confection in order to fit in certain things. We said, “No, this is what happened. This is the battle that happened. This was the chance that they took. This was the plan.”

This is gonna be something hey.

I do love this from Terrio though:

These two twins that are caught in this tide of history, and their mother who died, and how they were separated and their father turned to the dark, and then, eventually, redemption was possible — that’s really human and really moving and something that is so emotional. I get choked up even talking about it, like a crazy person, but we lived in the world for so long and we cared about it so much that you can’t just talk about it with your head. You have to like talk about it with your heart, and try to feel the stakes of it and feel the human drama of it.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:13 am

I am also convinced that my thought about helmet vs helmet-less Kylo Ren may be true:

https://collider.com/kylo-ren-helmet-ri ... ce=twitter

Abrams: “Part of it is about his commitment to the Dark Side. As you’ll see, he’s becoming Supreme Leader…his focus has been a little bit more on practical matters. He’s assumed that position within the First Order. It represents his re-committing to the Dark Side, to the Knights of Ren, and then because of a very specific thing that he’s about to go do. As you see in the story, there’s a reason for it. It might not be clear at this moment.”

Driver: “Hopefully [in The Rise of Skywalker], there’s a good moment where you really see him. Maybe, I hope. We were talking to people before about masks and that’s such a huge iconography of Star Wars that we took for granted that we had to reimagine. What is it about someone who hides himself? Or presents a person to the world, but underneath is something different. Maybe there’s a moment in this [movie] that’s surprising.”

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:19 am

Yeah, I don't get the complaints about the helmet coming back.

Gluing it back together after the humiliation and rejection he experienced at the end of TLJ is an appropriately reactionary and regressive response and better reflects where his head is at going into this movie.

reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 am

(And where his head is at is inside his helmet.)

reversemigraine

Postby badhat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:48 am

we still doin baby yoda memes?

There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby tgk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:14 pm

reversemigraine wrote:Yeah, I don't get the complaints about the helmet coming back.

Gluing it back together after the humiliation and rejection he experienced at the end of TLJ is an appropriately reactionary and regressive response and better reflects where his head is at going into this movie.

whatever, he's barely helmeted in any of the trailer footage anyway

tgk

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:51 pm

shacky wrote:yeah pretty much exactly the direction i wanted this to continue in

- dogfight!
- were we on tattooine at the start of the show too and i just wasn't paying attention?
- mos eisley was fun to see (is the cantina the set you were talkin bout amblin?)
- i liked the touch of droids running the joint now, the kid sitting in han's spot with his feet up was a bit much tho
- were those mechanic droids from phantom menace or from the SE, i don't remember, but they made them not annoying which was nice
- lol at "she has the high ground"
- this ep felt reeaally short and maybe a bit lacking in ideas?
Toggle Spoiler

The last episode was very much seven samurai/magnificent seven crammed into 40 minutes. This felt more like an episode of the rifleman or wanted dead or alive, where the stakes were low and characters were introduced to give our hero someone to shoot. This show obviously has a larger plot, and is great at fleToggle Spoilershing out parts of the universe that were previously background, but I also watched every episode of the rifleman and most of wanted dead or alive, so I could probably do at least a hundred episodes that’s ere just like this because my brain is programmed in this very specific way
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored

Self Destructive Zone

Postby john plainman 2 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:00 pm

good episode. i like how they make this show feel like a comic book.

john plainman 2

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:17 pm

ah loved this weeks ep. sedaris was great

Pops Freshenmeyer

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:35 pm

fake poe was soooo 90s in a good way I guess

decent ep but it felt very low budget and I dunno if it progressed any of the mains at all?
I like the tusken encounter

Dave Berman wrote:A robot walks into a bar
orders a drink
lays down a bill
The bartender says, hey we don't serve robots
and the robot says, oh but someday you will
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby lockheed » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:ah loved this weeks ep. sedaris was great

that's crazy! she's really really good in the role for sure
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 pm

It absolutely looked the cheapest, but deliberately so? They set the tone early with the SFX of the opposing pilot and I WAS KINDA INTO IT.

I didn't realise 'the gunslinger' was Bobby Cannavale's son and also, that he is a diabolical actor.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:25 pm

Tusken scene was outstanding. Otherwise weakest episode by far. Pure filler.
I am fine with throwbacks but this might have been overkill.

Plot not advanced one iota by the end.

Stormtrooper helmets ohh ahhh but nothing behind it.

I liked the pit droids but then I cackled at them in TPM

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Amblin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 pm

I don’t get the filler complaint

It’s a tv show not a mini series

Amblin

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:12 pm

this was some fun ass filler

Pops Freshenmeyer

Postby BlackSugar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:13 pm

I kinda agree with spl. this ep felt like the same basic thing as the last one. show up somewhere, learn about a conflict, resolve it, fly away, baby yoda was cute. granted I was wasted while watching the last two, but has there been any substantial movement in the plot in the last hour that warrants an hour?

I mean I enjoyed watching all the things that happened in this episode and I was never bored. but the best shows seem to propel a plot forward with each ep and this seems to be meandering. and maybe that's just fine, but it feels like its plateauing and I keep waiting for the next thing
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Yeah. I guess the first 3 episodes had like no filler maybe that's why it was jarring. I was fine with a reset episode last time but I'm going to guess you could skip this episode entirely and it won't affect the season either 5.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 pm

I like the lack of driving plot or “what happens next” when it’s this fun and well done on a weekly basis. I dunno, it’s almost like refreshing in the current tv landscape

Pops Freshenmeyer

Postby loaf angel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:58 pm

i prefer the episodic nature. maybe everyone is just so used to serial TV at this point that stuff that's like "fly to a new planet, complete a task" isn't enough

you get a few set pieces, a few new characters. do it again next week
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby loaf angel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:59 pm

this kind of storytelling would definitely annoy the shit out of everyone if it was all dumped at once, every episode ready to binge at the start
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby pzadvance » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:02 am

“That’s my line” was some sub-“they fly now” bullshit :roll:

Loved Sedaris and the raiders scene and the general vibe of this being like a 50s western show was fun but agree we could do with a little more plot, pretty hilarious when you think abt it that the flagship first live action Star Wars series ever is just like a bunch of half hour self contained lil side quests. They know these were based on serials, right?

pzadvance

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....