books books books

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby staple » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:13 pm

is there a hpn group on goodreads?
does not want to say hipinion in a court of law
User avatar

staple
 
Posts: 7444
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:01 am
Location: the great white north

Postby dvr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:54 pm

staple wrote:is there a hpn group on goodreads?


there is this https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/90366.Hip_Opinions
User avatar

dvr
 
Posts: 7647
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Postby kid8 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:59 am

No there isnt.
Oh, I'm a failure, because i haven't got a brain.
User avatar

kid8
killer
 
Posts: 46941
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Normal Heights.

Postby Occlusion » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:27 am

Always on a physics kick. The two most recent embodiments of it are the two following. Just finished Sheldrake, which held more water than expected, and starting Rees now. Both are fun for dweebs.

ImageToggle Spoiler
ImageToggle Spoiler
User avatar

Occlusion
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Postby j-ol » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:51 am

hey abs are you able to procure a copy of joseph mcelroy's women and men? seems out of print everywhere
User avatar

j-ol
 
Posts: 6039
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Postby abs » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Alibris has a few listed, not sure of your budget: https://m.alibris.com/Women-and-Men-Jos ... matches=23
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
User avatar

abs
Queen Witch
 
Posts: 10256
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Ys

Postby i_am_agriculture » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:32 pm

j-ol wrote:hey abs are you able to procure a copy of joseph mcelroy's women and men? seems out of print everywhere

Is it not available from Dzanc anymore?
https://www.dzancbooks.org/our-books/women-and-men
User avatar

i_am_agriculture
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Postby j-ol » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 am

i_am_agriculture wrote:
j-ol wrote:hey abs are you able to procure a copy of joseph mcelroy's women and men? seems out of print everywhere

Is it not available from Dzanc anymore?
https://www.dzancbooks.org/our-books/women-and-men


they only ship to the US :'(

why is this book so rare/expensive
User avatar

j-ol
 
Posts: 6039
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Postby i_am_agriculture » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 pm

j-ol wrote:
i_am_agriculture wrote:
j-ol wrote:hey abs are you able to procure a copy of joseph mcelroy's women and men? seems out of print everywhere

Is it not available from Dzanc anymore?
https://www.dzancbooks.org/our-books/women-and-men


they only ship to the US :'(

why is this book so rare/expensive


I looked back at the reading group thread and a couple people said that if you email michelle@dzancbooks.org, they'll ship internationally. Pretty sure there's an epub floating around somewhere if you don't care about having a physical copy though.
User avatar

i_am_agriculture
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Postby j-ol » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:02 pm

thanks v much!! just sent an email.
User avatar

j-ol
 
Posts: 6039
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Huh, glad I checked this thread. I didn't know Dzanc did another print run of Women and Men.
User avatar

Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 30532
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby j-ol » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 pm

She emailed back quoting $25 for the book and $35 for the shipping, yikes. 60 USD is too much unfortunately. trawl used bookstores forever i guess.
User avatar

j-ol
 
Posts: 6039
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:01 pm

US to Canada shipping and vice-versa is insane. It's much cheaper to have something imported from the UK.
User avatar

Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 30532
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:52 pm

And I just got my shipping notice. Within the US it was only $5.
User avatar

Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 30532
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby bobby5 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pm

they only ship to the US :'(

why is this book so rare/expensive


Yep, it's kinda better to write your own book, isn't it.

It remembers me a time, when I was writing an essay all days long, during my preparation for exam.
bobby5
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:41 am

Postby j-ol » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:54 pm

bobby5 wrote:
they only ship to the US :'(

why is this book so rare/expensive


Yep, it's kinda better to write your own book, isn't it.

It remembers me a time, when I was writing an essay all days long, during my preparation for exam.


first of all, great post #3

i am definitely going to re-write women and men and i already have loads of improvements in mind, even though i haven't read it
User avatar

j-ol
 
Posts: 6039
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Postby bobby5 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Some lazy people, including me, prefer to order writing service of any paper work from 3rd parties, like rushessay online agency, that specializes on such writing services. It all depends on your own money, and how much you can afford to order qualified paper work from others. For me it's completely fine, cause I care about the result of these papers.
Last edited by bobby5 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobby5
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:41 am

Postby buriedinspace » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Anyone with any recs for me for some fiction? I read a ton of non-fiction but... feeling the itch for some fiction.

Some notes: would love something recent, because I'm weirdly in the mindset of liking to be part of a still ongoing conversation, I like short stories and most of the time prefer stuff that has some comedic touch to it. I went through a period of reading mostly stuff like Simon Rich and Sam Lipsyte, read a ton of George Saunders too, but even though that stuff is a nice corrective to the ultra serious non-fiction I'm usually reading, I probably am looking for something more substantive. I also used to adore Kurt Vonnegut. By the same token, though, I also read everything David Foster Wallace ever wrote and adored his short story collections and Infinite Jest. I spent a good portion of my young adulthood focusing on 'very serious novels' - I liked Crime and Punishment and stuff. The last novel I read that knocked my socks off was 'The Idiot' by Elif Bautman. I was considering reading 'Normal People' by Sally Rooney, just because I'd heard good things and it was in the Dropbox but would be curious if people had some other suggestions.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?
User avatar

buriedinspace
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: Queer Street

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:30 pm

My copy of Women and Men arrived today. It is large. I think all the women and men are inside it.
User avatar

Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 30532
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby kid8 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 am

Gross.
Oh, I'm a failure, because i haven't got a brain.
User avatar

kid8
killer
 
Posts: 46941
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Normal Heights.

Postby Repo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 am

buriedinspace wrote:Anyone with any recs for me for some fiction? I read a ton of non-fiction but... feeling the itch for some fiction.

Some notes: would love something recent, because I'm weirdly in the mindset of liking to be part of a still ongoing conversation, I like short stories and most of the time prefer stuff that has some comedic touch to it. I went through a period of reading mostly stuff like Simon Rich and Sam Lipsyte, read a ton of George Saunders too, but even though that stuff is a nice corrective to the ultra serious non-fiction I'm usually reading, I probably am looking for something more substantive. I also used to adore Kurt Vonnegut. By the same token, though, I also read everything David Foster Wallace ever wrote and adored his short story collections and Infinite Jest. I spent a good portion of my young adulthood focusing on 'very serious novels' - I liked Crime and Punishment and stuff. The last novel I read that knocked my socks off was 'The Idiot' by Elif Bautman. I was considering reading 'Normal People' by Sally Rooney, just because I'd heard good things and it was in the Dropbox but would be curious if people had some other suggestions.


'The idiot' looks amazing, thanks for the tip!
I read that Elif Batuman is a huge fan of the russians (she wrote an essay about them and I suppose "The idiot" is a nod to Dostoyevski), so I'm going to recommend a russian author that I've discovered recently: Sergei Dovlatov.
I've read three of his books in a row, I'd recommend "Pushkin Hills" but all of them are awesome.
hope you dig it!
User avatar

Repo
 
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Postby Avalanche Lily » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Does anyone else read books of questionable worth that they foraged from Little Free Libraries

I'm currently reading a book called 'Half Moon Bay' and it's the pits
User avatar

Avalanche Lily
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:47 pm
Location: Lost in thought

Postby quinine » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:36 pm

I've never seen a book in one of those that was
worth picking up, no
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself
User avatar

quinine
ok
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: 0,0 / The Shinto Zone

Postby mondrary » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:51 pm

i found an old penguin edition of the idiot by dostoyevsky in one of these in chicago!
User avatar

mondrary
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:38 am

Postby Repo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 pm

mondrary wrote:i found an old penguin edition of the idiot by dostoyevsky in one of these in chicago!


best the idiot is elif batuman's, don't @ at me
User avatar

Repo
 
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Postby Zurich » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 pm

dvr wrote:
staple wrote:is there a hpn group on goodreads?


there is this https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/90366.Hip_Opinions


also

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/49-hipinion
User avatar

Zurich
 
Posts: 8563
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: new york shitty

Postby Throwback_Jones » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:26 am

Even withe most cursory glance, I'm recognizing some familiar names: joe, Eyeball Kid, Zurich, etc. Crazy.

Sadly, I don't have much to offer in the literature department. The books I'd recommend now are likely the same ones I would have recommended 10 or 20 years ago (A Confederacy of Dunces, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, A Simple Plan, etc.).
Throwback_Jones
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:42 am

Postby AdamThomas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Avalanche Lily wrote:Does anyone else read books of questionable worth that they foraged from Little Free Libraries

I'm currently reading a book called 'Half Moon Bay' and it's the pits



no, I like the idea though. The closest I come to that is picking up a book at a used book sale that I have no idea about. When you read a good one, it feels like a major discovery. I found My Life on Earth by Edward Harris Heth this way and I loved it.
User avatar

AdamThomas
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: u mad?ison

Postby AdamThomas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:28 pm

speaking of, who likes going to book sales? The university here has one twice a year and then the local public library has numerous throughout the year. Besides thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, they are basically the only places I shop for books (and records).
User avatar

AdamThomas
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: u mad?ison

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Related to the subject at hand, back in the mid-aughts when I worked at a major chain bookstore, I spent $2 on a remaindered hardcover edition of A.M. Homes's This Book Will Save Your Life. I liked the few of her short stories I had read previously, but found this novel unbearably smug.

It also just so happened that the remaindered copy I purchased was autographed. I don't know what became of my copy. Probably whatever happens to books that were sent to the landfill ten-plus years ago.
User avatar

Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 30532
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a is jump, alaska, apostrophe, ASH NERVE, average deceiver, baka baka, Bartatua, becky, beefbroth inthe shitpipes, blendercore, brittle, Brunch Buttsteak, buriedinspace, butter, camping, cam'ron hubbard, Clive, cooly, crisp butty, darger, denvermax, doormat, doublethink0, douchechill, draw, elo, Eyeball Kid, fakename, Feech La Manna, Frank, gallits, garbagetime, Getbetter, goofy's dead wife, Google [Bot], gskrap, hamilton, Hideaway Lights, honeypie, honkduh, hoopdog, important dentist, inmate, jalapeño ranch, jon, Julius Sumner Miller, KALM, kid pretentious, Kiki, KPH, Kuboaa, landspeedrecord, lemon rind, light rail coyote, Lil Gugger, Link, loaf angel, lockheed, Lonesome Hobo, Longarm, lordofdiapers, Lowercase Tea, mactheo, marble, marta, Meeps, mego, Merciel, Mister Modular, mmmbop, morgan blackdicks, moses, mworth, neck, new blood,, oh! it's max!, palmer eldritch, Paul, Pops Freshenmeyer, Pterri, quaker city, quinine, rankoutsider, ripersnifle, scarsdalevibe, Seamus, Shotfrog, shoulders technicolor, shrinemaidens, sigmonrunner, Sissy Spacerock, sniplets, Sobieski, southpaw, speakers, table for one, Tai-Pan, tgk, That Demon Life, The Sunken Place, theta, This Guy, unsandpiper, VHGisdead, viachicago, villalobos, waldojeffers1, warmjets, WeirdJungle, worrywort