Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby evan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 am

Have fantasized about going my whole life, and on the 28th, I'm on a plane for a 6-day trip (followed by 6 in Taipei).

Tell me everything I should do/see within this span of time.

Thanks!

evan

Postby Debbie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:09 am

They have the absolute number one Best Buy in the world let me gather some info

Debbie

Postby Geoff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:15 am

It really is an awesome city, you'll love it Evan.

I go there every year (my wife's originally from Hong Kong, I used to live there when I was a kid), and am heading off there in mid April.

What kind of things are you wanting to do/see/eat?

I can give you a load of recommendations

Geoff
i like jazz

Postby wong » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:16 am

Hong Kong is the best.

wong

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:21 am

On Hong Kong island climb the Dragon’s Back and when you hit the road on the other side, catch a bus to Shek O beach.

Eat at Ho Lee Fook, I don’t know, drink and eat until you have nothing left to give.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby Water Bottle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 am

Hong Kong and Taipei are great.
The best food I had in both Hong Kong and Taipei was from street vendors whose names I don't know. Also, be sure to get a metro card as it's a super cheap and easy way to get around.

Hong Kong:

Food
Since You'll inevitably end up around Soho/Mid level elevators at some point, Lil Bao is in the area and does some good food.
Tim Ho Wan (cheapest Michelin restaurant in the world) was pretty good but the ladies toilets were grim enough to put half the party off their food.
Sijie Sichuan Restaurant was really good

If you want to spend a bit more Ozone @ Ritz Carlton is the highest bar in the world and has great views of the city.
Also expensive, and you can't book ahead, but afternoon tea at the Peninsula was lovely.

General touristy stuff that I enjoyed:
Victoria Peak
Big Buddha + the glass bottom cable car
Macau day trip
Great parks and hiking spots all over Hong Kong

Shopping:
Sneaker street/ladies market etc.
IFC, causeway bay etc. (more upmarket shopping)

Taipei:

The night markets here are great. Just go every night and eat till you're sick.
Went up Taipei 101 and had Din Tai Fung
Walked up Elephant Mountain for some nice views of the city
Chen Kai Shek memorial hall
Taipei Zoo was nice and has some cool animals that you won't see in many European or North American Zoos
Ximending is a cool area where teens/college kids hang out and is always pretty lively. Ate at Modern Toilet, which is a restaurant where everything is themed around toilets/bathrooms and had fun.
Get the shaved ice they do over there. Was there in the middle of summer and the ice monster near Taipei 101 saved me.

I kind of ran out of steam on this post, but I really loved Taipei. Probably the most pleasantly surprised I've been by a holiday destination in ages.

Water Bottle

Postby dusky » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:19 am

Hong Kong is a blast! The whole city on the Island is pretty small, and you should be able to cover most of it by foot and subway in the time you have.
Tai Hang was where we stayed and I really liked the neighborhood. There's a very neat public pool experience to be had there at Victoria Park and a bunch of cool little cafes and bars. We found a really cute little vintage shop in an underground complex there called "The Luddite," where we met some friendly, young locals who invited us to a rad little club called Midnight & Co. which you should totally check out If you're in to electronic music. It's in a very hip part of Central that you will undoubtedly end up in on some night. There are a TON of cool restaurants and clothing shops in that area.

Definitely go to Victoria Peak, around sunset if you can.

Sheung Wan was another favorite neighborhood.

Take the subway over to Mong Kok / Kowloon for a much more mainland Chinese experience. There are some great, giant markets indoor and outdoor.

And lastly, coming with my highest recommendation .. One of the days take the subway + bus around to the backside of the island to Stanley. It's an adorable little beach town great for on foot exploring and beach hopping. I was really shocked how cool it was given how few tourists there were, this was mid summer, however. It's a really nice break from all the city life, and only 40 min commute from the main city.
Last edited by dusky on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dusky

Postby cordoba » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am

that amazing building dru hill is dancing on in how deep is your love

is the Hopewell Centre aka 'The Big Cigar'

that's it. that's all i know.

cordoba

Postby bongo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 am

i think thats all you need to know
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby dusky » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 am

Here's a couple crappy phone photos I took in Stanley.. they give you an idea.
Toggle Spoiler

I don't have any photos, but there are also a bunch of cute little stepped alleyways and winding paths through the hillside neighborhoods that were very dreamy to walk through.

Oh, and Tin Hau subway station is the one in Fallen Angels!

dusky

Postby Conetoaster » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Stanley is amazing, I used to live down there in the mid-90s. The bus round HK is a good time, the drivers are fairly suicidal.

Conetoaster

Postby evan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Geoff wrote:It really is an awesome city, you'll love it Evan.

I go there every year (my wife's originally from Hong Kong, I used to live there when I was a kid), and am heading off there in mid April.

What kind of things are you wanting to do/see/eat?

I can give you a load of recommendations

I am looking for a couple daytrips, though I'll probably go to Macau just to see what Vegas looks like in Asia. I don't eat beef/pork/mammals, but I'm definitely a fish/poultry eater. Love exotic, fancy desserts, food off the beaten path.

I'd like to get out for at least a day of nature-focused adventure in/outside of Hong Kong. Beyond that, I have a reservation here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... _Kong.html

evan

Postby joe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Just booked a flight!!!!! (For may 2019 lol)

joe

Postby dusky » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:23 pm

nice. just HK? how long?

dusky

Postby joe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:26 pm

10 days, might go to zuhai/Macau for a sec.

Currently 550 flights from SFO on Singapore airlines if you book via their app

joe

Postby dusky » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:30 pm

that's how much time i had. should be great, dude! excited 4 u

dusky

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:37 pm

what's the best way to do Hong Kong on a budget?

not like super backpacker shoestring budget but I also understand it's one of the most expensive cities so yeah, what do?
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby pocket shepherd » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Try not to miss out on the outlying islands if you've got time. Cheung Chau is so fucking chill to explore and the Lantau Trail is beautiful.

Temple Street midnight market is a treat. Also if you're looking for a hostel, Mirador Mansions is just as good location as Chungking Mansions but less busy.

I'd love to go back to HK
not now bernard

pocket shepherd
ok

Postby joe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:49 pm

dusky wrote:that's how much time i had. should be great, dude! excited 4 u

gonna be my first time east of the continental US! gf has been to HK a couple times and will be helping guide somewhat, but your reqs (and others here) got me v excited

Edit: west of the us!

Basically I mean I've never been to Asian
Last edited by joe on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe

Postby That Demon Life » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Not Hong Kong, but I'm going to Taiwan next year and I'm psyched. Never left North America before.

That Demon Life

Postby babycrime » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 pm

going for four days in two weeks. i'm thrilled, sounds like central is the place to stay, but good reccs here

babycrime

Postby evan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:41 pm

I should I add that I went in April and had the best time. Hong Kong is so wonderful. Definitely a terrible monument to income inequality, too. But damn did I have fun in Central!

evan

Postby toots » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Buy a fish from an aquarium and watch them cook it for you

toots

Postby Montague Terrace » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:39 pm

Headed there for two weeks of dissertation research

anyone know any museums/art galleries?

Montague Terrace

Postby joe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:42 pm

leaving in a week! staying in an airbnb in soho

joe

Postby Debbie » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:32 pm

Going to the best buy there next Thursday Absolutely STOKED to check out their yellow tag sales

Debbie

Postby dusky » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:51 pm

got a very cheap flight home from Taiwan with a hk layover that’s nearly a whole day. Will have an evening and breakfast in central next week.

dusky

Postby joe » Sun May 05, 2019 12:44 am

dusky wrote: a rad little club called Midnight & Co. which you should totally check out If you're in to electronic music.

Midnight and co. seems to have closed, but there is a nice place with a diy feel called 宀 Club (mihn) which is real fun. Hunee killed there last night. Love to use my octopus card to get around all day and then use it to buy beers from a vending machine all night.

joe

Postby dusky » Sun May 05, 2019 1:09 am

SoHo was an even bigger shitshow than I remembered. Wan Chai was extremely comforting. we got up at 6am and took a taxi up to Victoria peak to catch the sunrise before heading out. I have to go back. that was painfully short but so reassuringly sweet. next time I’m going to finally make it to the mainland as well.

dusky

Postby compatibility mode » Sun May 05, 2019 1:13 am

I turned a corner on HK last time I was there and appreciate it a bit more now.

compatibility mode

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....