Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby hbb » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

That wonderful man
hbb

Postby mortimer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:01 pm

The turkeys in the background are a great touch
Last edited by mortimer on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 am

geoff, i hope you were able to redeem your code

this play-through is very enjoyable:

mortimer

Postby Geoff » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:39 pm

mortimer wrote:geoff, i hope you were able to redeem your code

this play-through is very enjoyable:

It worked. Thanks!!!

Geoff
i like jazz

Postby mortimer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:54 am

lol he watches full house on his iPhone

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:52 pm

ok i won't respond to my thread anymore but this video is great

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pm

But I do want to say the bit about whack a mole made me laugh out loud for half a second

mortimer

Postby Architecture » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:54 pm

try the data then reply

Architecture
ok

Postby mortimer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:28 pm

That’s a pretty fair video

Definitely not a graphics powerhouse but what they accomplished on a limited budget, as far as we can see, is pretty amazing.

mortimer

Postby chairkicker » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:31 pm

mortimer wrote:But I do want to say the bit about whack a mole made me laugh out loud for half a second

holy shit yeah

chairkicker

Postby Architecture » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:34 pm

mortimer wrote:That’s a pretty fair video

Definitely not a graphics powerhouse but what they accomplished on a limited budget, as far as we can see, is pretty amazing.

John Linneman over at DF is a known ‘Mue Head, so everything he says comes from a place of love. I was mostly posting that vid because it’s the most convincing argument for this game I’ve seen yet.

Not sure if I should dive right in or try to finish the remasters before III
try the data then reply

Architecture
ok

Postby mortimer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:47 am

holy shit this is coming out in a month

who else is about to run through 1 + 2???

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:05 am

i just saw this the other day and it's awesome

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:44 am

Finally showing the bigger city:

Btw... if you backed the Kickstarter check your email. They said they’re getting ready to ship and need address confirmation ASAP.

mortimer

Postby goofy's dead wife » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 pm

i beat shenmue i tonight... have a week or two before three comes out to play through 2.

these games are the best.

"I want to have a wedding that's shunned by society. I want to have a baby everyone disapproves of. I want to get nastier and nastier. I love that he accepts everything about me, no matter how far I stray off the proper path of a human being"

goofy's dead wife

Postby mortimer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 am

I can’t believe something I’ve waited half my life for is coming out in two weeks...

Though I guess I didn’t actively wait most of those years. I sort of figured this franchise was completely dead after the Shenmue MMORPG was canceled.

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:01 am

DOUBLE POST
Last edited by mortimer on Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:47 am

http://gameinformer.com/2019/11/06/insi ... henmue-iii

It’s 7:30 p.m. in Tokyo, and the weather is sweltering. We’re stuck in traffic on the way from Ys Net’s offices in Shinagawa City to a dinner reservation in Yokahoma’s Chinatown. Tokyo’s traffic system is still reeling from the typhoon, and our 30-minute commute has turned into a 2.5-hour crawl across the Yokohama Bay Bridge. Hot and frustrated, Yu Suzuki pulls out his phone and begins watching an episode of the NBC crime thriller The Blacklist. Suzuki is a big fan; he thinks the show is incredibly well made. Later on, we all watch the first episode of Fuller House and laugh about the absurdity of being trapped in a car with a legendary Japanese developer while watching American sitcoms. “Full House is the foundation of Shenmue,” jokes Suzuki. The car ride is surreal, but it’s another opportunity to pick Suzuki’s brain.

Suzuki finds a lot of inspiration for his games while watching television and movies. During the creation of the original Shenmue, Suzuki watched one movie a day, on average, for over two years. He cites films like Casablanca and My Neighbor Totoro as inspirations, not specifically for their story, but for what they taught him about storytelling and character development. Shenmue III is – after all – largely a character study.

“To be honest I don't play many other games,” confides Suzuki before dinner. “If you say you like Chinese food, you probably mean that you like to eat Chinese food, but what I like is the cooking of the food, not the eating. In most cases in the gaming industry, the guys who create the games also like playing games. But in my case, I really just love to create, so the way I develop is very different from ordinary game developers.”

Suzuki is referring to his attention to mundane details. Shenmue’s specialty is its focus on the minutia of daily life. Players are free to get lost in Ryo’s artificial world – to collect meaningless figurines and chug soda. Fans appreciate these unusual aspects of Shenmue, not because they fill some arbitrary in-game checklist or bring them closer to the game’s credits, but because these tiny details conjure a deeper sense of verisimilitude.

Shenmue’s world isn’t real, but it feels real.

“For Shenmue III, I wanted to create images so strong that you could smell the colors in the countryside,” says Suzuki. “For me, it’s very important to create those images where you can feel the moisture or humidity. If possible, I wanted to create a sense of smell in the game.”

Yu Suzuki isn’t a conventional game designer. Several times during our trip, Suzuki admitted that he doesn’t enjoy playing video games. In fact, before working at Sega, Suzuki had never played a video game. Better still, the designer only accepted Sega’s job offer because the company offered more vacation time than his other prospects. Orthodox or not, Suzuki is still a game designer who knows what he wants. He doesn’t care how other developers make their games; he knows what kind of game he wants to make. And Shenmue is unflinching in that vision to give players a window into the life of Ryo Hazuki – both the action-packed highlights and the quiet, simple moments.

“I think Yu Suzuki was at peak auteur status when he built the original Shenmue,” says Payton. “You could see him trying to innovate in so many areas – I think successfully in many of those areas. Whether it’s the kind of open-world nature of the game, or the need to plot out your day, or the ability to interact with the world in unique ways, they all added to the overall feeling of simulation. I think it was a little bit confusing for players and for critics, but like a lot of great art, as time goes on, we're able to look back and recognize just how special Shenmue was.”

With a relatively small budget, Suzuki looks to deliver another game that fits the mold he established 20 years ago. Shenmue III features a more refined graphics engine and some welcome improvements to the combat system, but the core experience remains full of the idiocrasies and daily distractions that Shenmue fans love. Yu Suzuki doesn’t care how the industry has evolved over the last 20 years. He knows what he wants. Moreover, he knows what Shenmue fans want.

Near the end of our trip, after we’d trudged through Japan’s Chinatown, Suzuki takes us to one of his favorite restaurants. We point at a picture of delicious-looking gyoza, but Suzuki waves us off and takes control of the menu. He’s going to order for us. After all, Yu Suzuki is a man who knows what he wants. We don’t eat gyoza that night, but the meal is incredible.

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:43 am

video with lots of activities including the VF parody and fishing

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:35 pm

I genuinely hope a few of you join me in this lonely thread on the 19th

mortimer

Postby broodstar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:36 pm

i meant to play the shenmue 1+2 remaster in preparation

broodstar

Postby mortimer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:12 pm

The Fool on the Hill wrote:Noice.

As a side note, here's a shoutout from the best selling rap group in France. Trigger warning it's terrible:

The lyrics go "I don't expect anything from men except Shenmue."

It’s kind of cool these guys are so into Shenmue. One of them just go to meet Yu Suzuki:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4vGruzqgoc ... 1b3aufg4xq

mortimer

Postby chairkicker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:20 pm

omg the forklifting looks so good

chairkicker

Postby mortimer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Last edited by mortimer on Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Got my shipping notifications btw

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm

Some dude got a leaked copy and is live streaming it. Not watching it:

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:44 am

I was in Newark yesterday and came very close to getting a ride to that shop...

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:15 pm

This just made me cry lol

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:07 pm

another tearjerker. the world needs more Yu Suzukis.

mortimer

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....