:'(

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby rushedbehind » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:42 pm

Tar Pit wrote:should I play the first 2 Shenmue games if I never played them before or have they aged poorly?

I played Shenmue for the first time last year. I liked the atmosphere, but I found the forklift section unplayable. I get how people could be attached to the game though.

rushedbehind

Postby mortimer » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:48 pm

You should go back to it. It only takes like three or four in game days. Game ends soon afterwards. Shenmue 2 really ramps up the flavor.
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:46 am

perfection
mortimer

Postby endoskeleton » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 am

well that looks like it's coming together. i'm hyped

endoskeleton

Postby mortimer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 am

mortimer

Postby Fool » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:12 am

The little mechanical car game looks awesome

Fool

Postby mortimer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:53 pm

You ever just feel like someone “gets it”?

Suzuki (laughs). The answer is unclear and bad, but of course the story is part of the appeal of “Shenmu”, but I think the “world” itself is more attractive.​

You can play for the time being by just advancing the story, but if you follow only the story, I wonder if it will end up without enjoying 30% of what I made. I think it's a wasteful game to follow the story alone.​

I want to immerse myself in the world and play slowly because I'm thinking about the world. It ’s like a “trip”.​

Isn't that the case with an actual trip? The experience is different between a trip with money and a trip without money. If you don't have money, you have to think about what to do and what to eat. I think "Shenmu" is a journey.​

So immerse yourself in the world for about 30 to 40 hours. Then, what do you say, the world of the game soaks into your body.​

I think it's a game where “experience” is more interesting than “story” is good. The accumulation of small experiences creates a sense of Shenmu.​

The story is the same, but the experience changes depending on the player, so the person's “Shenmu” may be the only person.​

I want to create a play experience like traveling alone. What will remain after a solo trip, and what will remain after playing. That is “Shenmu
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:31 am

Shenmue Master (@ShenmueMasterFR) Tweeted:
Nos amis du site Phantom River Stone s'apprêtent à sortir le « Suka Pass » le 27 août prochain. Il s'agit d'une reproduction du Passport de Shenmue I qui fonctionne sous Android. N'hésitez pas à regarder la vidéo ci-dessous : https://t.co/z0gf4stra2 https://t.co/xk0zMiTtAS

Woah, someone ported the entire Shenmue passport. Up in 3 days.
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:27 am

This is from a 2013 interview.

Actually, I'm making what I want right now. I took all the best that was in Shenmue, all that “know-how”, dropped everything that I didn't like and was not interesting for me, and I'm making a new project. It will be a fantasy. Not China and not Japan, but a new fantasy world.

Here, I've already drawn characters for the game. I've drawn them myself. There are the protagonists, there is the sea, and there is a mountain and on the very top of it is a castle. It stands so high, to be able to see far away and watch for pirate ships that could attack the city. I like an artist Alphonse Mucha, and I decided to work in his style. Usually, designers are making all the illustrations for me, but this time I decided to draw them myself. This game already has a script, even the music

Why doesn’t this exist? I need it to exist.
mortimer

Postby walt whitman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:39 pm

Architecture wrote:I would argue that they were obtuse out of the gate

shenmue is still mad obtuse but will always be the pinnacle of open-world game design. the sight-seeing, exploring new rooms and buildings, interacting with objects, mini games, working, noticing how a whole neighborhood moves and breathes... the beauty of it was exploration for exploration's sake.

i don't think any game has rivaled the total experience of immersion found in shenmue
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby mortimer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:51 pm

walt whitman wrote:
Architecture wrote:I would argue that they were obtuse out of the gate

shenmue is still mad obtuse but will always be the pinnacle of open-world game design. the sight-seeing, exploring new rooms and buildings, interacting with objects, mini games, working, noticing how a whole neighborhood moves and breathes... the beauty of it was exploration for exploration's sake.

i don't think any game has rivaled the total experience of immersion found in shenmue

Yeah. I would definitely agree with those who say it’s not the first open world game, but I’d also argue it’s the first open world game that felt lived in and alive.

The recent interviews with Yu Suzuki are incredibly reassuring, in that his vision seems like it’s basically remained unaltered in the past two decades:

4Gamer: Even Story Mode will have a fair amount of content, won't it.

YS: That's true, but here too, it wouldn't quite be accurate to say that the fun of Shenmue III lies in going through and completing the story that's offered from start to finish. Taking it to extremes, I'd go so far as to say that you'll only enjoy about 20% of Shenmue III's fun that way.

4Gamer: Meaning perhaps that it's important to "stop along the way"?

YS: Yes. Shenmue 3 is a game about enjoying the stops along the way.

Some may consider it tiresome, but it's in doing so that you experience new things. As your experiences accumulate and they become a part of you, you'll feel as if you're actually making a solo trip. The player's experience of Shenmue 3's world will stay with them. I think this is important.

Also, once you get used to them, several of the mini-games are ones where you can think about what to do next in the game, as you play. They have a style of play that lets you spend time playing while you think about a strategy for your current problem.

4Gamer: That's an approach that's a bit different from recent games, isn't it.

YS: Yes, recent games place great emphasis on plenty of tutorials, explaining in the utmost detail how and what you should do.

But I've made Shenmue 3 to be a game that offers "the enjoyment of finding yourself". Therefore if they take their time and play through slowly, each player will be able to experience their own Shenmue.

YS: So, I don't think that learning from others in order to progress is something that should be renounced.

However, I've made Shenmue 3 so that it can't easily be boiled down to a fail-safe walk-through. For example, to take the price of a single item, it will change depending on things like the state of the game's internal global economy and the financial discount rate. Therefore you can't say "this option will always be best". Even if you were to analyze the system, I'd have to think that it would be impossible to do so manually

Forklift part-timers have evolved in the same way, not just carrying crate. Baggage that arrives at the port of Torimai by ship has various shapes, and changes to the city the next day when it is transported to the warehouse. For example, if you carry an arcade enclosure, it will be in operation at the game center the next day, and there will also be an increasing number of exhibits at the “Kashiwakan” to commemorate Shenmu's history and backers.
It seems that subquests that are not directly connected to the main story are also included in earnest. When you meet a person who has a specific condition, you can start the quest with a different button than the usual “speak”. Rather than listing quests and displaying icons on the map as in an open world game, the flow that naturally occurs when talking to people seems to be Shenmu. Through more than 20 optional subquests, the character setting must be more visible than in previous works

Open world games have grown bigger and more detailed, yet no other series seems to come close to capturing these concepts.
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:00 pm

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:18 pm

Stuff like this doesn’t even make sense to me.

James Brown (@SkillJim) Tweeted:
New video for #Shenmue Day!

After 20 years, i'm still finding some amazing surprises in Shenmue that I personally never knew existed!

One of those being the ever changing Cherry Tree at the Hazuki Residence.

Did you know about this!?

https://t.co/UEGQ06wnpR https://t.co/y3LYF02M8x

Phantom River Stone (@phantom_river) Tweeted:
@shenmueguide An easter egg has been newly uncovered in #Shenmue by a Japanese fan which lets Nozomi teach the local bullies a lesson at Sakuragaoka Park!

Details and conditions for triggering it:
https://t.co/HZFOUerkWy https://t.co/uIGm7xaDX3
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:21 am

this is so good
that dreamcast case
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:53 pm

omg

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/ ... mo-at.html

As the time went on (one hour in Shenmue III passes by in 4 minutes of real time), the light gradually grew dimmer and eventually fires appeared in the braziers standing around the village. And, to my delight, a short cut scene played, echoing the first two games, to mark dusk.

bliss

i want a Hou Hsiao-hsien video game
mortimer

Postby dusky » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:29 pm

well that's gorgeous

dusky

Postby Bad Craziness » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:33 pm

I just remembered this comic I made when I was like 13 when they cancelled Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast in the US and then announced it for Xbox

Last edited by Bad Craziness on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bad Craziness

Postby Bad Craziness » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:35 pm

the hat is a reference to Penny Arcade, which I was really into at the time

Bad Craziness

Postby mortimer » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:29 pm

the demo's out. this guy's streaming it:

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:06 pm

this is so good
mortimer

Postby dusky » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:14 pm

yeah this looks awesome

dusky

Postby mortimer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:23 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shenmue/commen ... pressions/
http://resetera.com/threads/shenmue-3-d ... ow.143497/

I've been all over the net reading impressions and the general consensus is this game is great & true to the originals--based on the demo.
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:26 am

people in literal tears over this game

mortimer

Postby zach york » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:08 pm

I like Corey Marshall's voice but the overall voice acting sounds so much better in Japanese.

zach york

Postby zach york » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 pm

tom's hot dog vibes

zach york

Postby mortimer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Imageim honestly blown away
mortimer

Postby endoskeleton » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:31 pm

what tier and price included the trial version?

i'm pissed that i apparently didn't go for it

endoskeleton

Postby endoskeleton » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:33 pm

i lost it at snake power, btw

endoskeleton

Postby Bad Craziness » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:38 pm

one of my habits when I’m dreaming and I shift into a semi-lucid state is I try to open all of the drawers in my dream to see what they’re filled with. They’re always filled with very plausible contents, and I keep thinking about how my dream instincts mirror my videogame instincts, and how videogames are the ultimate way to step into someone else’s dream

Bad Craziness

Postby mortimer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:56 pm

chairkicker wrote:what tier and price included the trial version?

i'm pissed that i apparently didn't go for it

$100

They really hit all the notes

Suzuki is on another level

These Kickstarter projects are usually such a disaster and this was going that direction, but I knew he’d hold it together
mortimer

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley