Postby mortimer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:14 pm

The wood chopping is strangely satisfying
mortimer

Postby walt whitman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:46 pm

so is this any good
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Yu Suzuki wrote:[Ryu ga Gotoku producer] Toshihiro Nagoshi used to work in my division. He graduated with a degree in movie production so he was probably more interested in the visual production side of development. When I imagine Sega with Ryu ga Gotoku and Sega without Ryu ga Gotoku, the Sega with Ryu ga Gotoku is undoubtedly more attractive. So, I'm thankful that Nagoshi has been able to learn from the challenges I endured, and use it to give back to Sega. It's a good thing for Sega and I'm very thankful for that.

would love to hear if Yu Suzuki had a chance to use the Dragon Engine for this game.
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby sassafras socks » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Got some hella positive vibes in an otherwise shit day at work when I asked a quiet, reserved line cook if he was buying anything for black friday and he softly says, "oh just a videogame. It's called Shenmue and I've been waiting 20 years for it." He completely lit up, realizing he was in good company as I asked if he planned on spending the weekend driving the forklift and gambling

sassafras socks

Postby internethandle » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 pm

sassafras socks wrote:Got some hella positive vibes in an otherwise shit day at work when I asked a quiet, reserved line cook if he was buying anything for black friday and he softly says, "oh just a videogame. It's called Shenmue and I've been waiting 20 years for it." He completely lit up, realizing he was in good company as I asked if he planned on spending the weekend driving the forklift and gambling

:D

internethandle
ok

Postby walt whitman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:25 pm

seeing mortimer defend the hell out of shenmue 3 on twitter brought a smile to my face
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby mortimer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:28 am

Shenmue is life.

But seriously, it's a Shenmue sequel that was developed with a slim budget and somehow manages to feel like Shenmue--warts and all. I do think it's a tough sell in 2019 and I'm fairly certain we won't see a Shenmue IV, but it'd be nice if people could just sit back, relax and enjoy chopping wood, completing their herb sets, chatting with old people, strolling through the Chinese countryside and stop fretting over the game's somewhat minor shortcomings (poor animations, hideous NPCs). There's a lot to like. Play it in Japanese. It really changes the game's mood. It's a fantastic proof of concept--Ys Net can make Shenmue on a budget, but I'm not sure that's what they needed to deliver to keep the franchise alive. They did completely fumble telling more of the Shenmue story, though. It's almost like an intermission chapter, when they desperately needed to wrap up the story, but that's why we love Yu Suzuki.

And yeah, it'd be great if RGG Studio could support Ys Net, but I don't see that happening. I think Nagoshi has made it pretty clear he didn't enjoy working on the first game and it also sounds like he isn't very fond of Yu Suzuki's management style:

I was a supervisor on the team at first. As the project progressed, as you know, it had become bigger and bigger, and I couldn’t put up with it any more. It was one of the turning points in my career. I talked to Yu Suzuki, as well as talking to my boss in the development division at that time, and said I would like to have my own division. And they made it happen for me. But we really could not see the end of Shenmue, and I was called by our CEO at the time. He said to me, ‘Please get this game finished’ [laughs]. So I was a producer and director for the final months of the project. I’d reviewed the whole project, looking at what kind of plan they had and the remaining workload. It took me more than a month to understand what was going on.

The CEO asked me how much time would be needed, and I told him six months. Myself, and the programmer and designer I most trusted, called the whole team and told them we had to finish the game in six months. We did it, but it was a tough and bitter project for me [laughs]. Suzuki-san also knew he had to finish the game soon, whatever the final result. He’s the kind of person that, if he wants to do more, cannot stop himself, so someone must be there to do it for him. Our CEO knew that I was the only person he would listen to. Hard as it was to be asked to do it, I knew why it had to be me [laughs]. There’s only one reason for why the project turned into such a panic. Suzuki had been creating arcade games for so long, and didn’t write planning documents. But for console games, you have to have a blueprint, and it was such a big project.

He had a policy that we should not decide how a game should be on paper before we started making it. But we have to have guidelines, otherwise there’s a risk that we overrun and fail as a company. Even if it was someone else’s game, I learned the importance of that balance once again. I still think it was an epoch-making game at the time. If there had been a line producer or someone who was good at managing things, I believe the outcome would have been different

Here are a couple reviews I think are worth reading:

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/rev ... me-action/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... me-classic

By the way, the Whack a Mole mini game is amazing.
mortimer

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 am

I got to Niaowu and I'm loving it. Choubu-chan is the best. I just wish the action required to "get" it was different because sometimes I zoom in on it automatically and I hadn't even spotted it yet.

The Fool on the Hill

Postby mortimer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 am

I've learned to enjoy the combat. It's like an RPG now, so you've got to put in work to see results. Animations are the biggest letdown.

Sucks watching guys like Jim Sterling shit all over something like Shenmue. I get that it's a flawed series and I'm hardly impartial, but it's pretty sad watching the glee these guys take in picking on an indie project so many people wanted. It's also disappointing how much of the criticism leveled at Shenmue just amounts to, "Yakuza does it better." I started playing Yakuza when the first game came out way back when, and I felt it lacked that magic that made Shenmue so special to me. Over time, that team really nailed it and they've clearly created a classic series with lots of great games. I still think there's room for both series.

This song is so lovely:

mortimer

Postby mortimer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:23 pm

My new favorite Shenmue mini game.
mortimer

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 pm

yea the shenhua theme from the hotel is a great tune, I keep humming it

The Fool on the Hill

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:54 pm

I'm taking my time and I'm really enjoying Niaowu, which is much bigger than I anticipated. The game really opens up after Bailu and hits its stride imo. Maybe Shenmue is meant to be a city game anyway, the end of Shenmue II is charming because it's a nice respite after all the action, but it doesn't really work as a beginning. Anyway the city is really pretty, especially the waterfront at night or those chinese style buddhist pagodas on the water.

I also like the save Shenmue building which is like a shrine to the game within the game itself. Like the names of the backers or their notes in the hotel guestbook or their pictures at the shrine I found it all really moving. It's a testament to the dedicated fanbase. Shenmue III is a weird and quirky anachronistic game. It's not going to gain any new fans, but it is heartwarming to think of the community that still cares after all these years.

The Fool on the Hill

Postby mortimer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:01 pm

My picture is in the shrine. I used a pretty boring one. Didn’t want to be disrespectful.
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... 2Nd1fcppkg

As Dia Lancia put it in Paste's 9.9 out of 10 review, "Shenmue III is less about revenge, and more about all the things that get in the way of achieving that goal. It's simple enough to swap 'get the man who killed my father' with any life achievement. Our lives are filled with goals and impediments, diversions and distractions, the things we have to do and the things we want to do that keep us going.

"The Grind. Food. Shelter. Entertainment. Sleep. All the choices we have to make to fulfill those needs and desires are represented here. All crucial, but all subordinate to the flow of time."

To us, that sounds like a perfect takeaway for Shenmue III. Yu Suzuki is one of our People of the Year for achieving this goal despite 18 years of impediments, diversions, and distractions.
mortimer

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:37 pm

mortimer wrote:My picture is in the shrine. I used a pretty boring one. Didn’t want to be disrespectful.

no way! Which one are you?

The Fool on the Hill

Postby mortimer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:30 pm

left
mortimer

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Nice. That's a great virtual memory now.

The Fool on the Hill

Postby mortimer » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:46 am

I loved how Bailu just kept expanding into new areas. It's a shame they couldn't have just dumped $20 million into Bailu.
mortimer

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:50 am

I finished the game. The ending is kind of a trainwreck. Tonally it's all over the place and the "reveal" doesn't land at all since it hasn't been properly set up.

In the end the game's plot feels very generic. You fight no name goons and you successively learn two special moves: the body check and the reverse body check. They couldn't even bother to find a different name. I mean Shenmue always had a simple plot but it never felt generic. The problem here lies with the utter lack of characterization (except for Shenhua really). Plus the storytelling is completely off, we skip and jump important plot beats and details so that it feels very disjointed, like we're only seeing snapshots of the narrative.

So the feeling of playing a Shenmue game is there but it mostly feels like a gratuitous exercise, form over substance. It is a miracle that this game was made at all but in the end it feels unnecessary. I'm sad to write this as Shenmue 2 is my favorite game of all time, but a big part of my enjoyment of 3 was that it reminded me of the original games.

The Fool on the Hill

Postby mortimer » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:39 pm

Classic Ryo & DC sound effects modded into the PC version:

https://streamable.com/ji41q
mortimer

Postby Esteban » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 am

This came up in my recs & I was wondering were Sony still involved at the end?

Esteban

Postby mortimer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:56 am

Sony got the game way past its initial $2 million goal. I think that's about all they contributed. I wish they'd gotten more support from Sega. Development support from RGG Studios & some free licensing for Sega arcade games would've gone a long way.

The game really does nothing whatsoever to advance the story or add to the Shenmue lore, which is unfortunate. I hope they're able to make another game, but Yu Suzuki's got to figure out how to balance hundreds of shops & mini games with telling a story that actually merits multiple Shenmue games. I unfortunately don't think he is able to temper his ambition to fit his budget.
mortimer

Postby Esteban » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:15 pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ding-total

Did deepsilver provide funding too? Because if this game actually had an 8 figure budget the walk cycle is a real hard pill to swallow lol

Esteban

Postby mortimer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:31 pm

I heard they ended up with a $12 million budget. I wouldn't be surprised if some money were allocated to developing Shenmue 4, though.

What do you mean by walk cycle?
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:41 pm

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/ ... u.html?m=1

Yu Suzuki gets into some of the limitations, like poor animations, faced when developing this game and seems to talk optimistically about the next game.
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:25 pm

Does anyone want my PC code, btw? I can't play it (no PC!).
mortimer

Postby mortimer » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:59 am

mortimer wrote:Does anyone want my PC code, btw? I can't play it (no PC!).

damn cant even give this game away for free

poor yu suzuki
mortimer

Postby Architecture » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:32 pm

mortimer wrote:I also switched the VA to Japanese, which has improved things immeasurably.

Finally did this about six or so hours in, what a fucking difference

And thank you very much for the code

I have feelings about this game, but I'm still formulating 'em. I dunno. This is a weird fucking game, but I think I'm just glad it exists.
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby miss black america » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:37 am

finished it last weekend and it's a great embodiment of the spirit of shenmue but i think it's a terrible continuation of the story

glad it exists but there's also no point to it existing
hahaha mad me chuckle that

miss black america

Postby mortimer » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:42 am

Yeah, they didn't really create a compelling case for making two or three more games, if they even can at this point. I'm not a fan of pitting Shenmue against Yakuza, but at least there's lots of Yakuza to enjoy if I can't get another Shenmue. I probably had more fun with Judgment than I did with Shenmue 3, but my heart still favors Shenmue. I just prefer that sedate Shenmue vibe to Yakuza's wackiness.
mortimer

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....