Under the Silver Lake (dir. David Robert Mitchell)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sat May 25, 2019 3:39 pm

death is my amigo wrote:the line about homeless people being like poltergeists has stuck with me as one of the ugliest things i've ever seen committed to film

For me it was the women barking like dogs when they were admonishing him for being in the girls' bathroom.
I don't remember if I posted in this thread but man I hated this movie. Ready Player One for horny hipsters.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sat May 25, 2019 3:45 pm

I'm on page 6 of this thread and I see that you guys have already made your Ready Player One jokes.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby shacky » Sun May 26, 2019 2:10 am

guys the character is a bad man

we are seeing the things from the bad perspective of the bad man
shacky

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun May 26, 2019 9:59 am

I agree that dir. David Robert Mitchell is a bad man.
Kevin McCallister

Postby easy » Sun May 26, 2019 10:41 am

it follows was dogshit too
easy
does it

Postby goofy's dead wife » Sun May 26, 2019 4:00 pm

i read the plot synopsis of this on wikipedia and i think i went from no interest in this at all to basically imagining it as being a24's gotti and something i have to watch as soon as i have 2 hours available

this is a film about a neet that lives next door to a bunch of naked women like the long goodbye?

this?

After mocking Sam, the Songwriter tries to shoot him, leading Sam to bludgeon him to death with a guitar which purportedly belonged to Sam's musical idol, Kurt Cobain. Later, Sam meets Millicent Sevence, Jefferson's daughter. She gives him a bracelet which had belonged to her father, which happens to be the same exact type of bracelet Sarah was wearing when they met. Just as Millicent slips Sam the bracelet she is shot dead by unseen assailants.

By combining the bracelet, the prize inside his friend's old cereal box, and a The Legend of Zelda map featured in the first-ever issue of Nintendo Power, Sam is able to find a location that doesn't show on web mapping where he finds a man and three women in a hut. The man reveals the answer to Sam's investigation: through history a selected few wealthy men like himself choose to lock themselves into underground bunkers similar to the one Sam previously discovered in order for their souls to "ascend" similar to Egyptian Pharaohs, while taking three wives to go with them. He confirms that Sarah and her roommates were Jefferson Sevence's wives, and that their deaths were faked in order for the four of them to ascend. Once they went inside their bunker, it was sealed and cannot be left. However the process takes months and they can actually be contacted via videotelephony. Sam speaks with Sarah, who confirms that she entered the bunker on her own will and that she's at peace with her fate. Since Sarah leaving the bunker is not an option, the two share an emotional farewell and hang up for good.
Toggle Spoiler

okay okay i give in
goofy's dead wife

Postby shacky » Sun May 26, 2019 4:03 pm

easy wrote:it follows was dogshit too

opening shot alone is the best thing to happen in horror for 20 years
shacky

Postby carlagain » Sun May 26, 2019 5:03 pm

ah man I feel you, that shot is the whole movie. never finished this one
carlagain

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun May 26, 2019 5:14 pm

Nintendo Power Kurt Cobain what else do I have to say WE DIDN’T BUILD THE BUNKER
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby death is my amigo » Sun May 26, 2019 5:55 pm

shacky wrote:guys the character is a bad man

i fuckin knew someone was gonna try this
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
death is my amigo
ok

Postby marble » Sun May 26, 2019 9:19 pm

easy wrote:it follows was dogshit too

hey now, take it easy
marble

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 12:01 am

death is my amigo wrote:
shacky wrote:guys the character is a bad man

i fuckin knew someone was gonna try this

we actually already did all this like 3 pages ago
shacky

Postby high bias » Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 am

i don’t think the film is really saying anything new or interesting about the treatment of women in media/hollywood, but it’s definitely aware of what it’s doing wrt to its depiction of women

and yeah, the main dude is supposed to be a pathetic creep
high bias

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 1:02 am

yeah if this movie about a pervert and his pervert buddy who bang actresses who have to moonlight as sex workers and ludicrously rich and powerful weinstein-esque white men who bury alive virginal brides to be used as sex slaves in the afterlife made u horny instead of uncomortable i feel like that's on u??
shacky

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 1:03 am

BUT THE FRAMING WAS SO DISTASTEFUL!!!!
shacky

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 1:13 am

i like how we're cool w just calling out some dude as a "bad man" jus cos he made an honest carnivalesque hollywood nightmare while filmmakers who have worked similar territory continue to get a pass despite irl allegations because their camerawork is more subtle, their objectification more elegant, and most important their big white male genius even bigger

doesn't this have a scene where ppl literally laugh and dance and spill piss on hitchcock's grave?

like gimme a break, go cancel vertigo, eyes wide shut and mulholland drive and then get back to me about this cartoon comedy
shacky

Postby aububs » Mon May 27, 2019 3:39 am

shacky wrote:... made u horny instead of uncomortable i feel like that's on u??

ummm I'm p sure people are saying it made them uncomfortable?

don't see the point in bringing up those other movies but like sure, it's well known kubrick and hitchcock had shitty representations of women in their movies and the misogyny in lynch is very, very often discussed too
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 4:27 am

aububs wrote:
shacky wrote:... made u horny instead of uncomortable i feel like that's on u??

ummm I'm p sure people are saying it made them uncomfortable?

don't see the point in bringing up those other movies but like sure, it's well known kubrick and hitchcock had shitty representations of women in their movies and the misogyny in lynch is very, very often discussed too

okay so then me, you and the movie are all on the same page then, what's the problem

and i brought those films up because there's a clear lineage there that this film slots into a except that they're giants made by giants and so get a pass. i think this film is, in part, about that hypocrisy.

i think a lot of the representation of women in esp twin peaks 3 works in the same register as this film. but because it's lynch the discussion ultimately amounts to hmmm hmm yess yess certainly a lot to think about hmmm, but this guy is immediately cancelled because he's just some guy

even though, unlike this guy, there have been numerous real allegations made against lynch and the other two, so it's not just about merely representation. think about what vertigo is really about and the disgusting amount of power and audacity it would take to make a film like that in light of what tippi hedren has recently said. it's not so different to what louis ck did.
shacky

Postby aububs » Mon May 27, 2019 4:47 am

I'm not cancelling this guy! maybe others are i dunno. i really liked It Follows. i'll watch his next movie. this one has issues imo. even outside of the female representation thing it felt like a failure. and yeah i know movies can be sprawling and vague and episodic and that's great but this was like adolescent sketches for something that could be really good, but wasn't quite there. i liked a lot of stuff in it, really disliked other stuff

we can mount a nuanced critique of this and of lynch etc. you can like stuff in this and in twin peaks 3 while acknowledging the questionable content. it doesn't have to be either "this was amazing sooo good omg" or IMMEDIATELY CANCELLED
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 4:50 am

yeah that's fair and in that case i don't think it's you im really arguing with but there's def been some hot takes
shacky

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 4:55 am

im not so sure he's gonna have a "next movie" unless he sells out and makes 'follow it' which id be very okay with tbh
shacky

Postby carlagain » Mon May 27, 2019 5:10 am

what if I watched this movie 3 times in a row?
carlagain

Postby carlagain » Mon May 27, 2019 5:12 am

then I could tell you for sure about it
carlagain

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 5:15 am

you really shouldn't even be posting in this thread if you haven't watched it 3 times in a row imo no offence
shacky

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon May 27, 2019 10:01 am

shacky wrote:i like how we're cool w just calling out some dude as a "bad man" jus cos he made an honest carnivalesque hollywood nightmare

I was just kidding dude, take it easy.
Though I think the major difference between this film and Vertigo and Mulholland Drive is that those are good and engaging movies.
Kevin McCallister

Postby super gas » Mon May 27, 2019 11:05 am

i thought this was a good and engaging movie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
super gas

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 11:22 am

Kevin McCallister wrote:
shacky wrote:i like how we're cool w just calling out some dude as a "bad man" jus cos he made an honest carnivalesque hollywood nightmare

I was just kidding dude, take it easy.
Though I think the major difference between this film and Vertigo and Mulholland Drive is that those are good and engaging movies.

soz i didn't mean to single you out with that quote and also i was grouchy on account of id just read 6 pages of boarders debating whether it's ever defensible to see morrissey live in 2019
shacky

Postby easy » Mon May 27, 2019 11:25 am

speak on that
easy
does it

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 11:51 am

on morrissey, in this thread? i don't even know what stupid shit he's said now but personally it was not a good vibe the last time i saw him and i just could not connect the obnoxious guy on the stage with the guy i thought i loved so id never do that again

but i remember we had the same argument over corgan and people were being judgmental as fuck that some boarders wanted to attend the reunion until a trans boarder (sorry i have forgotten yr handle) came in and explained why all the shitty politics were still outweighed by the intensity of their emotional connection to the pumpkins. then all the white dudes shut up. again, i have no interest in fascist hellraiser cock rock darcy-less pumpkins but i can empathise with that position.

the board feels a little tiresome and intolerant and deliberately obtuse lately with all these dogpiling debates that always just boil down to the same obvious conclusion that there is no truly ethical living under capitalism and we all just are doing our best making the small sacrifices we can make which aren't necessarily the same for everyone and bla bla bla
shacky

Postby shacky » Mon May 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:

and this is kinda exactly what i was getting at, who gets a pass versus who it's okay to make awful assumptions about seems to be a distinction made mostly based on how much of a proven genius the man is
shacky

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....