Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby gallits » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:56 am

pony wrote:oh, i live in france and have a soft spot for the whole 87 generation (ben arfa, nasri, menez, benzema) who got a ridiculous treatment that no one wanted to see as racist even tough they were really great as young players.
ben arfa also ended up in a sect because of a french rapper / slam poet and made some weird / touching videos walking along the canal st martin with a pair of glasses on to explain how he felt about being left out of the psg squad.
he was also in a la clairefontaine, a documentary about the french footballing programme that trains the best 14 year olds in the country, and he gets into a huge fight with abou diaby because he said something about his dad. he ends up locking himself out on a balcony while all the other kids try to calm diaby.

if you don't like ben arfa i don't know what to say, tell me this doesn't make you feel something:

it sure does : )
gallits

Postby gallits » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:57 am

yessss
gallits

Postby iambic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:59 am

Jabberwocky wrote:Pony, I'm looking for a French team to start supporting. What is the Newcastle of Ligue Un? If I ever move to France (which I really want to do to learn the language), it would probably be to Lyon. St. Etienne seems like an interesting team with a lot of history, but I hate their colors. Bordeaux has cool uniforms, isn't that right? Help me out here.

wow already giving up on your beloved nerazzurri
iambic

Postby gallits » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 am

You should support En Avant Guingamp because that is the best team name in football/sport (you shouldn't they are terrible)
gallits

Postby ecto » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:19 am

wow, typical soft draw for united
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen
ecto

Postby big zorb » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 am

Ref will be very divided over who he wants to favor.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby pony » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:22 am

Jabberwocky wrote:Pony, I'm looking for a French team to start supporting. What is the Newcastle of Ligue Un? If I ever move to France (which I really want to do to learn the language), it would probably be to Lyon. St. Etienne seems like an interesting team with a lot of history, but I hate their colors. Bordeaux has cool uniforms, isn't that right? Help me out here.

i have never hated anything more than jean-michel aulas (lyon's president), if i had to choose in a life or death situation i'd go marseille over them.
besides that it's a weird thing to ask honestly, i support psg since i'm 8 or 9 and we were bad back then, and i never really was able to really pick up any other team since, never understood how people can decide to support a team out of nowhere.
but if you want to pick one don't do any harm to your mental health by picking a horrible team that plays bad football, go for a team where you like a few players, that you enjoy watching and maybe one day you'll start supporting them. lille have some exciting players, nice were pretty fun under lucien favre, bordeaux is a posh little town built on the slave trade so your call on that one.
st etienne is a historic working class club with a pretty intense fan base, their stadium is nicknamed "le chaudron" (the cauldron) and is always crazy, they are rivals with lyon, the bourgeois neighbor that called themselves "ville des lumières" (because cinema was invented there but still weird because "la ville lumière" is paris and will always be paris but ok lyon).
monaco don't have any supporters so they would love a new one.
nantes is a pretty historic ligue 1 team with a tradition of offensive football "le jeu à la nantaise", they kind of lost it but it's a respectable team.
if you're going purely on jersey: psg / monaco / nice / angers / saint-etienne and metz that will normally be back in ligue 1 next year.
picking the team from the city you're going to live in is a cool move, helps getting integrated, meeting people that like football etc... and going to the stadium is always a nice experience (unless it's monaco).
pony

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 am

iambic wrote:

wow already giving up on your beloved nerazzurri

Haha. Unfortunately no. It's more likely that I'd just start watching a lot less Premier League soccer, because it sucks anyway.

Thanks for the response, Pony. You're right about it being awkward and difficult to develop an inorganic interest in a team, but I've managed to mostly be able to do with it Arsenal. Marseille is the obvious choice right now, but I don't really want to root for another European team that is consistently going to be in the Champions League because they'll come a day when they come up against Inter and then I'd immediately hate them. I couldn't root for Monaco because it's depressing to see their empty ass stadium. I'll keep more of an eye on Nantes. I knew a bit about Saint Etienne's tradition and their stadium atmosphere seems incredible.

Is there ever going to be a day where Paris FC establish themselves as regular Ligue Un competitors? Where exactly are they located in the city? And what's their fanbase like? There is also Red Star as well. Rooting for a team in the capital would obviously be ideal and PSG's uniforms are sick as hell. But I would feel like a bandwagoning piece of shit. Also, their matches in Ligue Un must get pretty boring and tedious.
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
Jabberwocky

Postby pony » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:08 pm

keep in mind that there's a bigger chance you are going to see marseille in the europa league than in the cl.

i have never met a pfc fan, don't think they really have any, the club was started out of nothing to create a dynamic around football in paris, think they were partnered with psg at one point in the 70s, they play at stade charlety which is more of a track / rugby field, the psg feminine team used to play there too before moving to jean bouin next to the parc des princes. it really feels like a made up club, i have never seen anyone wear there shirt.

red star on the other hand is a real team, they are from saint ouen (working class area where you have a famous flea market) in the north of paris, real fanbase, small stadium, good atmosphere. a few years ago they got vice as their main sponsor and fuuuuck that, the whole "banlieue is cool and edgy and dangerous" vibe they have is really cancerous (vice not red star) and the 4 graphic designers who bought the shirt didn't do any good to the team.

who cares if you are bandwagonning? you're picking a team late in life, go for one that plays exciting football, has fun players and plays european football (even if it's really really really painful some wednesday nights at home or at the camp nou). there is no honor in self harm and enduring garbage football and 0-0 with 7 yellow cards and no shots on goal every saturday on purpose. Winning 4-0 with cool goals is way more fun than watching your team struggle to score more than 2 goals every month, and i say this as a psg fan who went through the 2008 season and who had to watch some pretty horrific football in the past 15 years.
pony

Postby R C » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 pm

I really want Mateu Lahoz to ref one of the City/Spurs matches
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

Postby chargie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

trouble wrote:e equals can't c color
chargie

Postby gallits » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:41 pm

pony wrote:i have never hated anything more than jean-michel aulas (lyon's president)

I was gonna say, Aulas kinda makes Lyon the Newcastle of France. Although they are far too successful for that comparison
gallits

Postby Rumpleforeskin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:50 pm

R C wrote:I really want Mateu Lahoz to ref one of the City/Spurs matches

Already had that QUEEN! last year, someone else's turn.
Rumpleforeskin

Postby Bernie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 pm

What is with you calling people queens? That's like the fourth time I've seen you do it itt.
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby Bernie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Did I miss some sort of explanation the last time you did it and somebody said “wtf?”
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:24 pm

pony wrote:keep in mind that there's a bigger chance you are going to see marseille in the europa league than in the cl.

That's true. I've only spent a few days in Marseille but it seems like a really wild and cool city. Marseille might end up being the pick.

pony wrote:red star on the other hand is a real team, they are from saint ouen (working class area where you have a famous flea market) in the north of paris, real fanbase, small stadium, good atmosphere. a few years ago they got vice as their main sponsor and fuuuuck that, the whole "banlieue is cool and edgy and dangerous" vibe they have is really cancerous (vice not red star) and the 4 graphic designers who bought the shirt didn't do any good to the team.

Yeah, that's gross as hell. Vice sucks for that shit. I am pretty sure that I went to that flea market one day when I was living in Paris. I remember these dudes were bumping Chief Keef super loud and there were a lot of Joakim Noah and Derrick Rose jerseys on display, which was cool. Unfortunately, Red Star are currently in last place in Ligue Deux and it would be incredibly difficult to even watch their games...

pony wrote:who cares if you are bandwagonning? you're picking a team late in life, go for one that plays exciting football, has fun players and plays european football (even if it's really really really painful some wednesday nights at home or at the camp nou). there is no honor in self harm and enduring garbage football and 0-0 with 7 yellow cards and no shots on goal every saturday on purpose. Winning 4-0 with cool goals is way more fun than watching your team struggle to score more than 2 goals every month, and i say this as a psg fan who went through the 2008 season and who had to watch some pretty horrific football in the past 15 years.

Don't you feel as though those years watching mediocre PSG teams made you appreciate their current success a lot more? I don't know. I grew up supporting a legendarily bad sporting franchise that went more than 100 years without winning a Championship. I have a much easier time getting emotionally invested in a fucked up and poorly run franchise. It's more exciting than just collecting trophies. At the end of the day, it's only a game anyway. It might be annoying to endure shitty football, but it isn't the same as self harm.
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
Jabberwocky

Postby Rumpleforeskin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Bernie wrote:What is with you calling people queens? That's like the fourth time I've seen you do it itt.

There was some time here on the board where general perjorative cursing was starting to get frowned upon, and someone else (not me) decided saying "QUEEN!" in place of a normal cussword was more acceptable. There was even some threads with "QUEEN!" in the title
It was pretty absurd and made no sense whatsoever so I throw it in there every once in a while. Definitely not using it in its uhhh non-hpn based sense
Rumpleforeskin

Postby Bernie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Ok I must have missed that. Weird!
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
Jabberwocky

Postby gallits » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Assuming you are referring to Steve Harpers former team Seaham Red Star then sure!
gallits

Postby pokethedoke » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:19 am

who are ya who are ya who are ya
pokethedoke

Postby Render » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:15 am

Love that espn has the rights to the FA cup and then throws it on espn+
Render

Postby darkendofthestreet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:31 am

Zabaleta finished as a PL player, this is one of those 'taxi for Maicon' type performances. Woeful.
"Gogol Android"
darkendofthestreet

Postby delgriffith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am

Excellent free kick from Maddison. Was pretty surprised he didn't get an England call up.
delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:37 am

Nicely worked goal for Burnley now too. Game's picked up in quality and my hangover is grateful for it!
delgriffith

Postby darkendofthestreet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 am

Arnautovic either trying to play like Carroll as a knockdown merchant or one-touch flicking every pass round the corner to absolutely no-one, what the fuck is he doing?
"Gogol Android"
darkendofthestreet

Postby darkendofthestreet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:42 am

Mark your bingo cards, Antonio just cut inside and blasted it miles over the bar.
"Gogol Android"
darkendofthestreet

Postby wong » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:50 am

Some tasty free kicks scored today
wong

Postby gallits » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:56 am

Why were Diop and Ogbonna like Baresi and Maldini when they played Newcastle and now they look like Steven Taylor and Titus Bramble?
gallits

Postby delgriffith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:58 am

gallits wrote:Why were Diop and Ogbonna like Baresi and Maldini when they played Newcastle and now they look like Steven Taylor and Titus Bramble?

lol
delgriffith

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....