Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:48 pm

aububs wrote:
The Emperor's Son wrote:
Spoilt Victorian Child wrote:Roman’s the best performance I think.

he never moves outside of a comfortable and mild self-satisfaction, which I get as his child-only-being-an-edgelord-because-they're-waiting-for-their-parent-to-look-at-them character but it's one dimensional to me.

this isn't true imo. there are moments of introspection and self-doubt from roman, particularly as he's been discovering what he likes sexually in this season, his moments with his (ex?) girlfriend and of course gerri, but also in the last couple of episodes he's been almost a voice of reason at times. his whole character is obviously borne of a need to measure up to his siblings and his father, but also from being treated as a joke for most of his life. he presents as self-satisfied but he's anything but. it's not one dimensional. and i think his experience with the terrorists is the show giving him a very specific incident from which his character will grow and change. and as an actor i think culkin is great at improv, which i believe he's been doing a lot of in this show with j smith cameron who he knows from way back. apparently the show-runners noticed them improvising together and decided they had to get them together more. i dunno i think culkin is one of the best things in a show full of greatness

i think we agree more than you think about the characters psychology. I'm not saying he doesn't have moments of introspection and self-doubt, I just don't feel them escape from what i see as a visibly controlled performance and range.

but I'm also sympathetic to that being the point

The Emperor's Son

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:49 pm

powderfinger wrote:
The Emperor's Son wrote:
The Emperor's Son wrote:

he never moves outside of a comfortable and mild self-satisfaction, which I get as his child-only-being-an-edgelord-because-they're-waiting-for-their-parent-to-look-at-them character but it's one dimensional to me.

he may just be underdeveloped compared to the rest? in an effort to keep him zippy and able to platform comic relief.

like, I assume His Baggage is being a coddled, smart, bored rich kid who has never met threat and has no clue how to respond or grow from it so instead he falls on a vision of the world that is absurd and unreal and distant from surface strife, but like, what did he do before this series started?

I can understand that criticism after S1 but they developed Roman a lot in S2. There are hints all over the place that he was seriously traumatized as a child, beyond the general emotional abuse that all of them experienced.

sure but it honestly all tracks to "youngest sibling" stuff to me

The Emperor's Son

Postby defective » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:One thing Cox absolutely nails is the Iannucci style grandoise profanity. Still laughing at "It smells like the cheesemonger died and left his dick in the brie"

I hear you jizzed 500K on a fake Napoleon dick.

defective

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:54 pm

every episode has these three things

- a gathering Occassion
- an absolutely repugnant rich people abusing power moment
- a childish, playful (and/or traumatic) reference to their childhoods and growing up together
- an The Apprentice-style Logan moral/power ranking promotion or demotion ("you did good", "fuck off!")

The Emperor's Son

Postby manvstrees » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:24 pm

i can probably do a shitty bullet point list for any show ok
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm

it's why I watch and lovitz

The Emperor's Son

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:41 pm

just helping everyone get their specs ready

The Emperor's Son

Postby RIXX » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:59 pm

The Emperor's Son wrote:
The Emperor's Son wrote:

he may just be underdeveloped compared to the rest? in an effort to keep him zippy and able to platform comic relief.

like, I assume His Baggage is being a coddled, smart, bored rich kid who has never met threat and has no clue how to respond or grow from it so instead he falls on a vision of the world that is absurd and unreal and distant from surface strife, but like, what did he do before this series started?

wow I just realized I have more than one Roman friend in my life that fits this description precisely

RIXX

Postby badhat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:08 pm

i think theres all kinds of self awareness and nuance to culkin’s roman i just think they do it with out any on-the-nose performative moments. its just baked into the looks and posture and little tiny tells in his behavior and hints sprinkled in backstory.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby manvstrees » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:13 pm

i think he's at his best when he's shrugging off the latest beatdown, like his childhood dog cage torture
right after logan smacked him, the car ride later, everyone making fun of him getting taken hostage
plus every moment of his bad attempts at sex

yeah this is up there with anyone for best character
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby Viola Swamp » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Viola Swamp

Postby Merciel » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:08 pm

I love Roman and I think Culkin does a brilliant job of embodying this weird but surprisingly nuanced guy. I don't think the show knew what to do with him from the get-go (shifting his character from the total heel in S1E1 to the audience surrogate and voice of reason throughout most of S2), but over the course of the two seasons he's developed into a pretty deep but understated character, which is not at all what I expected based on how he was drawn early on.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Merciel » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:09 pm

Also, going back a minute, the main reason I was resistant to watching Succession for so long is that I just hate Brian Cox.

I still hate Brian Cox but he makes a great Logan Roy.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby spix et chicho » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:11 pm

of all the actors to hate.
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby Merciel » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Yeah I know. It's almost completely rooted in how pointless he was in Deadwood, which wasn't his fault because the show wrote him into a stupid role.

But I've never been able to shake it, and he's just so pompous all the time in all his intonations and cadences. Fingernails on the chalkboard of my soul.

It really works for this role though so in this one specific context it's perfect.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby davideotape » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm

definitely forgot he was in deadwood. i like brian cox and yeah this role is perfect for him but i kinda get it. i liked him as hannibal lecter and in super troopers
oh, word?

davideotape

Postby badhat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:41 pm

mostly associate him with x-men and the bourne movies and hes great in those
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby virtuous » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:46 pm

How could a person watch roman watching the rocket blow up and decide he’s the weak link???
virtuous

Postby mini » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:03 pm

virtuous wrote:How could a person watch roman watching the rocket blow up and decide he’s the weak link???

this is still the best scene on this show and one of my all-time fav tv moments

mini

Postby davideotape » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 pm

oh wow yeah hes great in xmen 2 and bourne. forgot those. hes essentially the same character in both those, right?
oh, word?

davideotape

Postby davideotape » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 pm

and yeah obviously culkin is amazing in this role wtf is that.
oh, word?

davideotape

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:17 pm

virtuous wrote:How could a person watch roman watching the rocket blow up and decide he’s the weak link???

that’s not when or what I decided

The Emperor's Son

Postby bentley truck » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:21 pm

TES doin his usual shtick in here i see

bentley truck

Postby pzadvance » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:55 pm

cox is incredible in deadwood, it’s the rest of the troupe that have nothing to do and drag that storyline down but his tender friendship with al and hilarious pseudoscientific therapy sessions with Hearst are some of my favorite parts of s3

Also just such a totally different energy than Logan, Cox is a dang legend i love him!

pzadvance

Postby Viola Swamp » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:18 am

Signif and I are thinking of dressing as rappin Kendall and daddy Logan for Halloween

Viola Swamp

Postby sleigh » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:13 am

man ppl can have their fuckin opinions. the whole cast is so strong it’s kind of just a Rorschach blot if what you do or dont gravitate to
so we are having various hot beverages together in the moments we can see eachother.

sleigh
ok

Postby RIXX » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:21 am

One thing that kinda dropped off in season 2 was Marcia’s role, I remember after the s1 finale people here were like “I can’t wait to get more revealed about Marcia and what her goals and machinations are.” Which, I’m kinda glad they didn’t go into, having Marcia being this scheming mastermind would’ve been from a different show, but I thought seeing how she navigated a man like Logan and his infidelities and ultimately what was the final straw for her was way more interesting, I hope they expand upon that more
Last edited by RIXX on Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIXX

Postby tgk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:42 am

Yeah the wives/girlfriends of this show all get cast aside with a quickness

tgk

Postby The Emperor's Son » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:12 am

bentley truck wrote:TES doin his usual shtick in here i see

this is the part in the play where they say the name of the play

The Emperor's Son

Postby The Emperor's Son » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:12 am

and that play is ................hipinion

The Emperor's Son

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....