Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Franco » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:03 am

I think what I’m maybe struggling to say is that this was so good that it didnt feel directed to me. It felt like all of these beautiful things just naturally happened because there was no way for them not to happen.
Franco

Postby hey nathan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:17 am

Franco wrote:I think what I’m maybe struggling to say is that this was so good that it didnt feel directed to me. It felt like all of these beautiful things just naturally happened because there was no way for them not to happen.

agree and well said! I ascribe that to good direction myself though

like I also feel the same way abt Gaga's performance, it seems effortless and real, but I'm sure that's based not just on talent but all the work she put in to really play all the emotional range she gives

edit also what I meant by my examples was how impressed I was with how great every performance is from a wide span of performers not all of which are primarily film actors, and then also I forget which director said it but regarding the screenplay or rewrites or something (and I see this as true for photog+editing too) they said "Yes but I'm directing that writing too" - not that auteur theory has to be a given - Streisand was obviously the creative authority in her version without being the director - but I think in this case there's a lot more to all that Bradley Cooper achieved including what levels of collaboration would fit than say Affleck's Town/Argo similar circumstances, if that makes sense
hey nathan

Postby mellowgold » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:28 pm

cant stop thinking about the billboard tho

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby haddonfield » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:31 pm

not much to add but i loved this movie so much
haddonfield

Postby loaf angel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:34 pm

just walked into the theater as the previous screening let out and I counted like at least 5 people who had just finished hysterically crying shuffling to the exit
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby haddonfield » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:25 pm

yeah this big bearded redneck guy and his wife sitting in front of me were sobbing during the final scene
haddonfield

Postby Franco » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:55 pm

hey nathan wrote:
Franco wrote:I think what I’m maybe struggling to say is that this was so good that it didnt feel directed to me. It felt like all of these beautiful things just naturally happened because there was no way for them not to happen.

agree and well said! I ascribe that to good direction myself though

like I also feel the same way abt Gaga's performance, it seems effortless and real, but I'm sure that's based not just on talent but all the work she put in to really play all the emotional range she gives

edit also what I meant by my examples was how impressed I was with how great every performance is from a wide span of performers not all of which are primarily film actors, and then also I forget which director said it but regarding the screenplay or rewrites or something (and I see this as true for photog+editing too) they said "Yes but I'm directing that writing too" - not that auteur theory has to be a given - Streisand was obviously the creative authority in her version without being the director - but I think in this case there's a lot more to all that Bradley Cooper achieved including what levels of collaboration would fit than say Affleck's Town/Argo similar circumstances, if that makes sense

Greta Gerwig may be the best 1:1 imo. They both seemed to have very singular focused approaches to performer and performance and tailored the process for each. I read a Dice interview that hinted at this. The moments from him, Chappelle, Elliot, and Ramos were natural enough to suggest that Coopers pre production did a lot of heavy lifting in building this world. Something rarely seen from actors who find themselves tasked with directing actors.
Franco

Postby easy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:11 pm

this was fine

insane dog, could watch him for hours.
easy
does it

Postby loaf angel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:53 pm

I really enjoyed this, thought the ending was a bit rushed but overall a nice endorphin kick.

people were laughing pretty hard at the "hey...". "wha?" exchange
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby scrambled » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 pm

has this been posted

scrambled

Postby qwerty » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 pm

saw this last night and enjoyed it immensely. The one thing that just didn't sit right was Ally had this laid back singer songwriter vibe so the transition to pop with choreography and backup dancers just didn't feel right with me.Toggle Spoiler
qwerty

Postby hey nathan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm

qwerty wrote: The one thing that just didn't sit right was Ally had this laid back singer songwriter vibe so the transition to pop with choreography and backup dancers just didn't feel right with me.Toggle Spoiler

I can understand that but remember she wasnt originally identifying herself as a songwriter but a performer in a very crowd-pleasy way vamping across the bar to Edith Piaf, singer-songwriter was actually a newer thing for her and she was still doing that with the pop music, and we do see her embrace and excel at that but by that point the movie is more focused on his alcoholism (following him to the ice cooler at SNL and that shot where shes dancing in the reflection beside him as he watches and wants to stay but shes solid on her own then and asserts she wants him to let her work without him there)
hey nathan

Postby G_S » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:15 am

bump

this ruled
G_S

Postby trigross » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:21 pm

gotta see this again (and maybe a third time) just wanna take another look at this movie tbh
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby mellowgold » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:30 pm

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Ok I can say that’s one direction I prefer she not jump right into
Franco

Postby davideotape » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:35 pm

I saw a lot of the things that seem implausible or magical as pretty realistic. Like jack remembering the tune, being inspired to hammer it out with his band the next day, and bringing her onstage seems like something that a musician who used to be engaging enough to be a star, but hasnt been inspired in a while would do. And her being able to pick up the changes in real time having performed cover songs live before seems like it would go either way, but if she landed the chorus with the band, that great feeling of nailing it would do a lot of the work. It also reinforces that they share a similar sensibility and the vibe they shared in the parking lot wasnt just two ships in the night.Toggle Spoiler

And the showbiz scene hey nathan already kind of addressed, but i think most of that has to do with the first time you ever see her do her own songs is when shes ushered in by a guy who has that granola singer songwriter aesthetic, as a secondary singer. Before that you have no idea what she originally really wanted from her own solo shows that she decided to put away due to giving up, and that manager guy took it to the extreme, and she told him when it didnt work.Toggle Spoiler

I keep thinking about the reflections in this movie. From that shot in the bathroom where she tells the lawyer “youre a very good lawyer but no i wont marry you” lol and screams with her reflection in the far left mirror, to the tour bus of the two of them, to the piano performance, to her looking at herself on the billboard. It was a cool theme throughout and im not sure it had any deep meaning but i think it helped shape the story.
davideotape

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Franco

Postby mellowgold » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:22 pm

oh my GODDDDD
mellowgold

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:14 pm

davideotape, my wife liked it but her thing after we got out was how did she know to sing the “in the sha ha lala low” part. She also called BS onthe garage ceiling height as depicted before and after.Toggle Spoiler
Franco

Postby davideotape » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Oh yeah i guess. If he had started it that would've made sense.
davideotape

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:53 pm

She had a palpable trepidatious response right before that first on stage "I'm off the deep end"

i was so locked in
Franco

Postby pana » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 pm

so does the board hate Bradley Cooper a lot less now?
pana

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:56 pm

I won’t speak for the board but he’s now one of my favorite people on earth
Franco

Postby davideotape » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Was having a strong opinion about bradley cooper something that this board engaged in?
davideotape

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:16 pm

He’s had a weird career thats probably easy to hate on.

But I dunno. For all their faults I still like Silver Linings and Limitless. He was good in Joy too.
Franco

Postby number none » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm

i think a few people might have thought he was a literal demon or something idk
number none

Postby mellowgold » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm

as someone who saw lea michele LIVE this is destroying me

mellowgold

Postby pana » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm

number none wrote:i think a few people might have thought he was a literal demon or something idk

who had to be arrested
pana

Postby brody » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 am

I enjoyed it but was bracing myself to weep or at the very least get choked up and I didn't? I'm not made of stone but for some reason this just didn't tug at my heartstrings like I expected. Either way, I thought Cooper was phenomenal. Had I not known who he was I would've assumed he was a musician first. Also appreciated that Ally was never being depicted as naive about the nature of the showbiz industry. They got the "this is the height of luxury!" stuff over with pretty quickly in the private jet scene
brody

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....