Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby kirito » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:39 pm

my sister has a pair of those golden goose sneakers but the plain white, undistressed variety. i judged her for spending $300 on plain white sneakers when she could have just bought stan smiths until i remembered i have a pair of plain white common projects

kirito

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:47 pm

kirito wrote:my sister has a pair of those golden goose sneakers but the plain white, undistressed variety. i judged her for spending $300 on plain white sneakers when she could have just bought stan smiths until i remembered i have a pair of plain white common projects

ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby theta » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:47 pm

merciel what does my beat to shit 80s lanvin mean
big zorb wrote:If you don't have a combination of

A) a need to walk around all the time
B) a real hatred of capital and
C) real bad depression

I don't think I understand you tbh

theta

Postby Merciel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:05 pm

theta wrote:merciel what does my beat to shit 80s lanvin mean

Come on, you know you can't typecast one-offs and vintage goods.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Merciel wrote:
theta wrote:merciel what does my beat to shit 80s lanvin mean

Come on, you know you can't typecast one-offs and vintage goods.

look at rest of outfit -> "does this make sense?" if no -> "they got lucky" if yes -> "oh they're 'not like the others'" -> subjective positive/neutral/negative response

we're all just judgmental computer programs
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby churrokbyme » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:18 pm

milano boy wrote:anyone have recs on casual black derbies? i kinda like these margaret howell ones. in my mind casual derbies have a rounder/wider toe box i think

https://www.margarethowell.co.uk/shop/m ... ther-black

I like barker. the amount of brogueing determines the level of casual ime, especially with black derbys.

edit: gussie already covered my critique of the Margaret howell

churrokbyme

Postby churrokbyme » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:25 pm

while on the subject of tacky expensive shoes if I had that much to spend I'd definitely hit my old comrade jor one up:

churrokbyme

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:27 pm

looking like they let Nigo loose in the Natural History Museum
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby Grendel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:48 pm

sordid affair wrote:
Grendel wrote:
sassafras socks wrote:^ pretty accurate. I don't even outright hate that sort of thing, it's definitely not my jam, but whatever. The sky high price for such basic shit is what confuses me.

It sounds perverse to say but the sky high price IS what the people are paying for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

but is every super-expensive thing a veblen good? or do certain products (usually from certain brands) take on that dynamic?

I think there are super-expensive things you can buy that aren't Veblen goods. For example, if you bought a generic sweater made from musk-ox wool for $1000 or whatever that would be a super-expensive sweater but I would guess that the price is more or less determined by the labour, materials, machinery and average rate of profit.

I think it is like you suggest that the brand is important. I feel like certain classes of items are more probable of containing instances of Veblen goods-- clothes, cars, food & drink, jewellery & accessories, toiletries. Ornamentation, display, sociality. I don't know how housing relates to this classification because it is usually treated as its own kettle of fish.

Grendel

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:00 pm

spec mansions are absolutely a Veblen good
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby Big Oil » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:09 am

Grendel wrote:
sordid affair wrote:
Grendel wrote:
sassafras socks wrote:^ pretty accurate. I don't even outright hate that sort of thing, it's definitely not my jam, but whatever. The sky high price for such basic shit is what confuses me.

It sounds perverse to say but the sky high price IS what the people are paying for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

but is every super-expensive thing a veblen good? or do certain products (usually from certain brands) take on that dynamic?

I think there are super-expensive things you can buy that aren't Veblen goods. For example, if you bought a generic sweater made from musk-ox wool for $1000 or whatever that would be a super-expensive sweater but I would guess that the price is more or less determined by the labour, materials, machinery and average rate of profit.

I think it is like you suggest that the brand is important. I feel like certain classes of items are more probable of containing instances of Veblen goods-- clothes, cars, food & drink, jewellery & accessories, toiletries. Ornamentation, display, sociality. I don't know how housing relates to this classification because it is usually treated as its own kettle of fish.

idk man i'm pretty sure anything that has ever been made out of vicuna is like quintessential veblen good

Big Oil

Postby BigPoppaPum » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:32 am

Some expensive stuff is simply a matter of brand integrity. I struggle to understand why someone would pay 210 CAD for this Undercover tee
https://shop.havenshop.com/products/undercover-ucx3802-t-shirt-moss-green

It's the usual Undercover symbol graphic tee just with whatever influence Jun has this season blended into the logo. Better than the plain symbol one? http://image.rakuten.co.jp/cliffedge/ca ... 1815_3.jpg Hell yeah. Still worth it for a 100% cotton graphic tee? Nope. I've owned one UC tee I got a secondhand with an amazing graphic that looked better as it aged. It still wasn't worth proxying. I just got it because I was getting something else and it was cheap and I have to package together my 2ndhand clothes from japan anyway so what harm would one extra tee do. Anyway I assume Undercover raises up the prices of their basic low-effort goods to keep in line with brand pricing. A lot of the expensive Undercover stuff seems super-expensive outside of Japan but isn't thaaaaattt baller outside of it and makes sense when you realise you won't find anything else like it and effort etc. Basically the people buying the cheaper tees are subsidizing the people chasing more expensive items that might go on deep sales and what not/the stuff the designer puts a lot of creative thought into.... and everyone's happy.

BigPoppaPum

Postby garbiel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:36 am

Speaking of fast fashion, brands, and quality (or lack thereof).
I am a total sucker for this new jwanderson/uniqlo collaboration, god help me

garbiel

Postby Grendel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:20 am

Big Oil wrote:
Grendel wrote:
sordid affair wrote:
Grendel wrote:

idk man i'm pretty sure anything that has ever been made out of vicuna is like quintessential veblen good

Musk-ox wool is called qiviut.

Grendel

Postby nautical hyperblast » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:05 pm

for my raw denim ppl:
i am in love with my pbj xx-011's. i've had them for a year and change and the fade is great and they fit awesome. i have the 17oz which is real heavy compared to apc and the like but they come in different weights and are reasonably priced a lot of places (not at self edge where i got them).

nautical hyperblast

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:09 am

good read

STREETWEAR HAS A SUSTAINABILITY PROBLEM
The global fashion industry is an ecological disaster. 73 percent of the world’s clothing eventually ends up in landfills. Every second, a whole garbage truck full of textiles is thrown out. More than $200 billion of unsold stock is sitting on shop floors and in warehouses around the world. Meanwhile, the number of garments produced annually surpassed 100 billion for the first time in 2014, doubling since 2000. Boston Consulting Group (BCG) projects that the global apparel and footwear industry will grow by 81 percent by 2030. With a rise in consumer spending coupled with a customer base that expects new product to be delivered at the speed of Instagram, fashion appears more and more disposable by design.

Streetwear is part of this sustainability problem.

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby odilon redon » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:54 am

hey hpn what’s a good peacoat for oct 2019 and onwards

odilon redon

Postby Autarch » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 am

Outlaw hypebeasts
Sent from my Lenovo

HEY! Use my Hipinion Chrome / Firefox extension for better boarding
Paste images, tweets, youtube, instagram, and soundcloud with ctrl+shift+k (or command+shift+k)

Autarch

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:40 pm

i was talking with another lapsed stylist the other week and in our commiseration she let slip her opinion that if you adapt to trends significantly and you're older than 25 you're a fucking loser

i cannot meaningfully disagree
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby brian dennehy fan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:55 pm

not detecting any bitterness there

brian dennehy fan

Postby Autarch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:56 pm

Sissy Spacerock wrote:i was talking with another lapsed stylist the other week and in our commiseration she let slip her opinion that if you adapt to trends significantly and you're older than 25 you're a fucking loser

i cannot meaningfully disagree

:roll:

I think that people should wear whatever makes them feel comfortable and confident.
Sent from my Lenovo

HEY! Use my Hipinion Chrome / Firefox extension for better boarding
Paste images, tweets, youtube, instagram, and soundcloud with ctrl+shift+k (or command+shift+k)

Autarch

Postby galactagogue » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 pm

brian dennehy fan wrote:not detecting any bitterness there

yeah. i mean isn't 'adapting to trends' just a coded way of saying they can afford to 'reinvent' themselves?
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:00 pm

you're not detecting any lies either but if your ears are burning then keep shopping it'll work out
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:04 pm

galactagogue wrote:

yeah. i mean isn't 'adapting to trends' just a coded way of saying they can afford to 'reinvent' themselves?

no, it's approaching middle age and being in the pitiable position of having no idea who you (empathy here) are or what you really like (zero empathy here) despite somehow having the means to buy trend-focused environmentally destructive products

i promise you guys don't have to stick up for multinational corporations who are polluting the earth with baked-in-obsolescent trash because you bought an acrylic sweater with a cartoon character on it once
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:09 pm

the appearance/presentation of "a trend" in a general sense is an opportunity to react (this is not exclusive to clothing): you go along, you reject it, you ignore it, you comment on it, you potentially "respond" in some way (even if that response is deliberate inaction, "not going along with it")

if your body/location/outlook/etc. hasn't changed significantly and you don't miraculously have the exact "problem" that the Newest Shiniest is intended to "solve" and you're desperately sifting through those Shinies to keep up then yeah you're a fucking enormous loser stop it
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby (^_^) tasty » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:15 pm

When I lived on the Upper East Side I noticed GGDB sneakers were really popular with trophy moms and teen girls alike. Usually paired with Moncler down coats or vests. They make sneakers for men too but I'm not sure I've ever seen a guy wearing them IRL.
t a k e e c s t a s y w i t h m e b a a a a a by

(^_^) tasty

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:20 pm

board hates the shit out of multiple home/car owners but loves to participate in the petty downstream cultural speculation of the monied classes because the gases ejected by All That Drip aren't as visible
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:22 pm

fwiw i had taken our conversation as an affirmation of positive beliefs stated through a "negative" (bad words!) valence
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby milano boy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:22 pm

what kind of clothes do you wear/what brands do you like?
tone: sincere

milano boy

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:28 pm

milano boy wrote:what kind of clothes do you wear/what brands do you like?
tone: sincere

i have very few positive feelings toward "brands" broadly speaking and consider clothing items as objects-in-themselves to the extent possible (fabric, seams, texture, color)

there are a handful of labels that might appear inside of a garment that will give me that .05% treat tickle but i don't wear visible logos and i mostly feel confusion and mild guilt/shame about the deSiGNeR LaBeLs that populate my wardrobe. conveniently i don't buy anything new. inconveniently this doesn't exactly scale

i respect artisan manufacturing (it's still not like socially "good" exactly and it's usually about half fraudulent but i respect it), companies that do little or no marketing, and companies who make The Thing They Make and stay in their lane

i respect tailors, including bad ones, and anyone who mends anything
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....