We'll kick your ass in

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:57 pm

wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Kevin McCallister » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Can you copy and paste the article?
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 pm

will the soccer teams have to swim there in 2022??? :o :o :o
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:02 pm

wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:03 pm

i guess select all no longer works in IOS
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby Eugenics » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:07 pm

ahah, that 'proposed canal' won't even make much of a difference from a logistics standpoint.
Eugenics

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:08 pm

For more than a year, a Saudi-led bloc has staged a boycott of Qatar, accusing the Persian Gulf state of sponsoring terrorism and committing other misdeeds. As the months have dragged on, however, Qatar has proved surprisingly resistant to those punitive economic measures.

Saudi Arabia may now be seeking to change the nature of its relationship with Qatar in an even more dramatic way. If local news reports are to be believed, Saudi Arabia plans to cut a canal along its 38-mile border with Qatar — and transform the tiny emirate from a peninsula into an island.

It is an ambitious idea that would turn one of the Middle East's symbolic divides into a geographic reality. However, it remains unclear whether such a canal will ever be dug — or whether this is mere propaganda designed to unsettle Qatar's 2.6 million residents.

According to a report published Tuesday in the Makkah newspaper, five international companies have been invited to bid for the project, with a deadline set for Monday. Authorities reportedly will then announce the winner of the contract for the canal, called the “Salwa Channel,” within 90 days; the hope is for the canal's construction to be finished within one year, unidentified sources told the newspaper.

The news suggests that the canal project is progressing. Two months ago, the online newspaper Sabq reported that plans for a canal along the border with Qatar were still awaiting Saudi government approval.

That outlet had said that the canal was expected to be 650 feet wide and about 130 feet deep to allow ships to pass, and that, as the canal would be built at least 0.6 miles from the border with Qatar, the entire project would be under Saudi sovereignty. The cost of the project was estimated at 2.8 billion Saudi riyals, roughly $745 million.

Despite the reports that the plan is gathering steam, the Saudi government has offered no public confirmation. The Saudi Embassy in Washington and the Riyadh-based Center for International Communication did not respond to requests for comment.

A number of state-owned news outlets have carried their own reports about the canal. Saud al-Qahtani, an influential Saudi political figure with ties to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, also shared stories about the canal on Twitter this week. In April, the same adviser had dismissed the idea that the canal would breach international law, saying Saudi Arabia's sovereignty over the area was the only point that mattered.

However, several analysts doubt that such a canal will ever be dug. Ali Shihabi, founder of the Washington-based Arabia Foundation, said the Salwa Channel reports were probably psychological warfare. Even if the canal were built, he said, it would make little sense. “If you create a canal, you do Qatar a favor because you create a 'moat' to protect them when now their land borders are fully exposed to Saudi Arabia,” Shihabi said.

In an email, Bruce Riedel, director of the intelligence project at the Brookings Institution and author of the recent book “Kings and Presidents,” also suggested that the aim of the reports was to psychologically manipulate Qataris. The tactic was “failing,” he added.

Qatar's only land border is with Saudi Arabia, and it has been closed since last June. In April, local media reported that Saudi border guards had taken control of the Salwa crossing, the last terrestrial link with the Arabian Peninsula. However, Qatar has retained sea and air links to the outside world and has largely weathered the financial pressure put on it by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and others.

Despite the obvious geopolitical implications, Makkah reported this week that the canal was being pitched as part of a “tourism revitalization” that would include making the Saudi shoreline suitable for sea voyages and build up a number of beach resorts. However, other reports have suggested that the plans would include a Saudi military base between the canal and the border with Qatar, as well as a site for nuclear waste.

Andreas Krieg, an assistant professor in defense studies at King's College, London, wrote Tuesday on Twitter that the idea of building a canal had been proposed before by Qatar itself but abandoned because of the high costs entailed. Describing Saudi Arabia as “financially struggling,” Krieg expressed surprise that it would want to “spend that money on a PR stunt.”
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby mites » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:08 pm

mites

Postby mites » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:09 pm

mites

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 pm

I am Qatar, I am an island
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:13 pm

kind of a dick move to trash their nuclear waste in that little area between the canal and qatar
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby easy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:14 pm

I proposed canal once. had to sleep on the couch.
easy
does it

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:15 pm

yeah she wouldn’t go for the knockoffs either
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby churrokbyme » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:56 pm

This is an interesting development.

In nyc there has been a counter- propaganda campaign sponsored by the Qatari government on bus stops and on taxi’s basically saying Saudi Arabia is pressuring the US government to take a stance against Qatar.

I got to spend a couple of days in Doha on a layover recently. Insanely wealthy country. The average monthly income for a Qatari citizen is 11k US.

Doha airport makes JFK look third world. Marble everything, Lamborghini’s on display for purchase scattered around. iPhone Vending machine. There was a shop just called “gold” which offered gold jewelry from floor to ceiling about 40 feet long.
churrokbyme

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Maybe Qatar will fill in some of the Persian gulf to create a land bridge to Iran.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Pokemon Mastah » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:00 pm

initially thought this was some weird badly translated threat
Pokemon Mastah

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:02 pm

Hate it when two good as hell countries fight like this
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm

This was my favorite Qatar update of late

badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby shark week » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Qatar playing devil's advocate with everyone they meet on the world political stage is pretty insane
It's dark and you want to go home?
shark week

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

the gulf is a nauseating place
Ferrous Bueller

Postby jack » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 pm

jack

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:34 pm

lol
I Don't Use Email
Beautiful Jugdish

Postby NegativeCapability » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:16 pm

:lol:
My views on democracy and oppression are aligned with most liberal views.
NegativeCapability

Location: earth rocking in undisclosed location in filthy Europe

Postby big zorb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 pm

canals rip and i always welcome another into this fuckshit world of ours
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby Lucky » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:43 pm

I was gonna say we could all go and have a dip in the canal at the next World Cup but I guess not if its filled with nuclear waste
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Lucky

Postby Eugenics » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:54 pm

my bad, for a second of humanitarian stupidity there i forgot that nations haven't ever in history even really tried to veil their hate for their neighbors. haha?
Eugenics

Postby Eugenics » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:57 pm

shit, even we were like, fuck it, close gitmo and send those fuckers to Quatar, supervised! for a year! before letting them go back to their hate hate hate. amerkkka number one!
Eugenics

Postby Legion » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:the gulf is a nauseating place

why

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.
Legion

Postby Eugenics » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:57 pm

the gulf is beautiful. its too bad governments have to fuck everything up.
Eugenics

Postby Flossed Out » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:01 pm

drawn and qatared
Last edited by Flossed Out on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
choom gang
Flossed Out

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....