Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:45 am

Man, Port of Call is so good.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby ratbags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:47 am

it really is. i saw it at TIFF for it's premiere and werner herzog was there, i got to talk to him afterwards and asked about working with nic cage and he said it was a dream come true.
delgriffith wrote:[Holy fuck

ratbags

Postby ratbags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 am

i took my dad and this was a day after exposing him to harmony korine's trash humpers up until which the only movies he watched were james bond related. he thought port of call was the funniest movie he'd ever seen but sincerely.

ratbags

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 am

I will never be able to get my dad to watch anything I like. He refuses to even watch Breaking Bad with my mom even though it's dumb enough and exciting enough for him to watch.

He literally won't watch anything except baseball and football. Pretty sure the only movie he's ever liked is Animal House.
jalapeño ranch

Postby ratbags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 am

my dad will never watch anything on his own but if i'm like "come check this weird thing out" he'll be game and actively try to talk about it after even if he didn't get it or like it

ratbags

Postby ratbags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:01 am

bad lieutenant really made him like nic cage and afterwards he was saying shit like "if nic cage doesn't get an oscar for that then that whole ceremony is a fraud."

ratbags

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:02 am

If my family tries to show my dad something, he instantly falls asleep.
jalapeño ranch

Postby ratbags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:02 am

does he fall asleep during jazz games

ratbags

Postby ratbags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:03 am

(cause i do)

ratbags

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:04 am

:x
jalapeño ranch

Postby shacky » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:16 am

one review pointed out that in the bathroom scene the camera sort of hesitates, tracks in and then back out very suddenly, because the operator obviously has no idea what to expect and is probably freaking the fuck out just being in the same room while he goes Full Cage
shacky

Postby shacky » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:17 am

you just know that vodka was real vodka too
shacky

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:31 pm

I am almost done with this and I didn't hate it at all! That usually happens a lot when I expect nothing out of something because of hearing negatives about it from other people. Obviously, the reverse is true, too. I love things about hippie cults and this was kind of what I expected from BTBR and I got a shitty fucking Tool video with no plot and no dialogue. 7/10
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 pm

shacky wrote:you just know that vodka was real vodka too

cage contends that he was completely sober for the entirety of the shoot fwiw
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby rushedbehind » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 pm

i can't wait to stay up and watch this tonight. port of call rips
rushedbehind

Postby Jimmy Firecracker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:17 pm

port of call is the best depiction of the "functional addict" that i can think of. basically describes my life years age 19 thru 22 without the authoritarianism
Jimmy Firecracker

Postby futurist » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 am

my only two dislikes with the film were the run time and Nicholas Cage.

otherwise this is just a beyond the black rainbow remake on cocaine and acid instead of ketamine and downers. nothin wrong with that, i love it all
futurist

Postby ratbags » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:06 am

why nic cage

ratbags

Postby futurist » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:17 am

ratbags wrote:why nic cage

that's what i was asking
futurist

Postby ratbags » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 am

ratbags

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:07 am

futurist wrote:my only two dislikes with the film were the run time and Nicholas Cage.

otherwise this is just a beyond the black rainbow remake on cocaine and acid instead of ketamine and downers. nothin wrong with that, i love it all

I disagree completely. They have some similar imagery or maybe a vibe but are totally different. Like it or not, this is huge growth as a filmmaker (not that it is even amazing or anything, just growth.) BTBR was like a film made in high school in comparison or an early short in a career.

They are both acid movies with a scene involving cocaine and a scene involving morphine.

#hipinion
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby futurist » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:58 am

it's more than just imagery (which of course is heavily shared between the two: television/screens, mutants, drugs/sedation, science as spirituality, heshers, etc. etc..) but ultimately they're both revenge flicks against a narcissistic, emasculated spiritual leader.

it was of course hyperbole referring to it as a "remake," but everything here was present in beyond the black rainbow but this time he had a chance to really flesh some ideas out.

trust me, i love it! they're both awesome movies. i've always been one of the few to defend Cosmatos.
futurist

Postby Architecture » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:45 am

I didn't know Panos Cosmatos had a new film

I really wanna go see this, but I am so fucking busy the next week. I'm afraid it won't play much longer, dunno what to do.
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby fester » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:09 pm

why aren't you all talking about the mac and cheese goblin commercial?

Anyway I thought this was pretty enjoyable. Second half was a little more campy than I would have preferred after the total mindfuck of the first half.
------------
fester

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:09 pm

I liked the commercial a lot
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:24 pm

CHEDDAR GOBLIN
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby Viola Swamp » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:16 am

saw this just now with my brother and we were crying laughing, perfect for our mood today

he had to run to something so as soon as the credits rolled we hopped up to leave and

when the doors opened in the back of the theater the cheddar goblin was standing in the doorway

we approached slowly and then a guy in the full nic cage outfit, wielding a chainsaw, popped out and said "yeah! mandy! grab your chainsaw and take a picture with the cheddar goblin!" (there were other chainsaws spread out on the floor for photo op duels)

i walked away with a poster and a nic cage temporary tatoo

love LA and loved mandy
Viola Swamp

Postby madness and chaos » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:33 am

Viola Swamp wrote:saw this just now with my brother and we were crying laughing, perfect for our mood today

he had to run to something so as soon as the credits rolled we hopped up to leave and

when the doors opened in the back of the theater the cheddar goblin was standing in the doorway

we approached slowly and then a guy in the full nic cage outfit, wielding a chainsaw, popped out and said "yeah! mandy! grab your chainsaw and take a picture with the cheddar goblin!" (there were other chainsaws spread out on the floor for photo op duels)

i walked away with a poster and a nic cage temporary tatoo

love LA and loved mandy

this is sick
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby futurist » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:48 am

was that what all the commotion was at the vista?
futurist

Postby hey nathan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 pm

just saw this on the big screen and kept going to vape in the bathroom and every scene I came back to was more intense than the last and I missed the tonal shift and woulda been fine if it kept being real controlled and menacing, but what they did do they did so big and so risky and so perfectly, I was howling and applauding and so happy and my mind was so blown I got lost on the way home from the theater
hey nathan

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....