you ever feel like you're not cut out for texting culture?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby new blood, » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:28 am

i was just going to suggest that maybe everybody should cool out maybe
new blood,
ok

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:28 am

Kenny wrote:
mcwop23 wrote:you people said i was stupid for wishing i had an away message app for texting but it honestly would be great to be able to just have something like “in a meeting can’t text til whenever” so people don’t think you’re ignoring them

This is a good idea imho

It exists!

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:28 am

For the record, it was not urgent.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Kenny » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am

I wouldn't want them to be able to get through with urgent. If it's urgent, call
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:30 am

the expectation of responding to texts immediately is fucking bullshit
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby galactagogue » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:32 am

mcwop23 wrote:“i can’t respond because i’m playing a game that takes up the whole screen”

lol.
I know what you did last summer, but i just don't give a shit
galactagogue

Postby delgriffith » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:32 am

easy wrote:don't even get me started on group texts

and then these fucking green texters who end up responding to a group text in a separate thread of their own :x

Fuck off
delgriffith

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 am

I'm not a part of any group texts and I hope to go to my grave without that changing
Eyeball Kid

Postby nite69 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am

ive got brain problems the preclude me from being a good texter. if i dont respond to a text within 20 seconds of looking at it then ill likely never respond because it just floats out of my brain
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.
nite69

Postby delgriffith » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am

For years these assholes with iPhones would put me in a group message (despite my requests not to do so) and then I'd receive dozens of individual texts in separate threads from all the iPhone users chatting away in their group thread. Those days may be over but clearly the stigma remains.
delgriffith

Postby nite69 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:36 am

im really good at being in a group chat tho. i think the near constant messages when a convo is happening keep me engaged more thoroughly
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.
nite69

Postby easy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

Hey Del, SORRy that your Motorola G3 couldn't handle group texts lmfao
easy
does it

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

I'm about to give up on texts soon unless they start letting me italicize things
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Kenny » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:38 am

I've got a group of friends that love group whatsapp messages and like I'll be at work for a day and there will be over a hundred messages. I just said to them irl that I wasn't a big phone guy and just respond when I have something to say

I do hate the notifications bar on phones and wish there was a less obtrusive/less demanding of action way to let you know. I think any notification anywhere that there are things to do/look at will always annoy me though

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:39 am

Ferrous Bueller wrote:I'm about to give up on texts soon unless they start letting me italicize things

Lately I've really been into using asterisks for emphasis, so much so that I'll do it here on the board even though I have access to italic and bold tags.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Kenny » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am

I think that being on the internet from the early days is where I got my ALL CAPS for emphasis thing

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby grammatron » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:44 am

easy wrote:fwiw the number grammatron posted is fake. I just checked.

Sorry, I had you blocked because you kept drunk dialing me in the middle of the night. Fixed it. You can text me now.
grammatron

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:24 pm

galactagogue wrote:
mcwop23 wrote:“i can’t respond because i’m playing a game that takes up the whole screen”

lol.

I never thought about how hilarious this one is. thanks wop
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored
Self Destructive Zone

Postby Denise » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:25 pm

The fact that people literally type instead of swipe mechanisms blows my mind.
Denise

Postby john plainman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:32 pm

i gave the swipe method a few days but i ended up having to delete incorrect words too often
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

my friends know not to expect instant replies and don't take it personally, obvs same goes the other way around. it's the only way i find it tolerable. last time i dated somebody for a few months she would text me all the time at work etc and i couldn't handle it at all. it's not like i didn't want to communicate with her, but keeping up with it and getting sucked into expecting quick replies in return turned my phone into a kind of object of focused insecurity and dependency. i don't want to be that emotionally tied up with a way of communicating that's so easy to ruminate and obsess over because of the loss of all body language and tone of voice, it does my head in

still prefer it to instant messaging like msn/aim or facebook or whatever. one of my biggest fears is accidentally being online on facebook messenger and having somebody start talking to me. there's not a single person in the world, from my closest family to girlfriends or best friends, that i feel comfortable talking to like that. no idea why it makes me feel so trapped and anxious, like a perpetual state of the moment you get left to talk to somebody you barely know at a party and have nothing to say. completely irrational, but i'm just not cut out for that lack of stimuli or whatever. like i could talk shit with my brother right now over the phone for hours guaranteed, but if he started talking on messenger i'd start to panic on some level. bizarre (or maybe not at all idk, but other people seem to do it just fine)
Gnome Sane
Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

dbl
Last edited by Prof. Horatio Hufnagel on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnome Sane
Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby Milk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:57 pm

i don't know yet having never texted. :oops:
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Denise » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

john plainman wrote:i gave the swipe method a few days but i ended up having to delete incorrect words too often

it learns your patterns and eventually just gets it mostly right
Denise

Postby separator » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:59 pm

If you're worried people think you ignore them just turn on your read receipts
separator

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:19 pm

I don't text people. I don't give my phone number to people.
palmer eldritch

Postby mercenaries of slime » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:19 pm

we should all just scream into the void instead
mercenaries of slime

Postby Sobieski » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:21 pm

The thing about texting is that you have to keep opting in to a conversation, which is fine if you’re not thinking about

But I always feel like I either want to stop paying attention or the other person does
sm//o/ke le/ss weed
and sleep more
always/ tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby mercenaries of slime » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:27 pm

mercenaries of slime

Postby Kenny » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:29 pm

One time years ago a friend told me that they didn't like chatting with me online because I would just stop talking for days and then pick up and act like no time had passed and they thought I was like just dropping them because I was bored but I have always thought of online/text chatting as not fixed to time and like you just respond when you can/want/there's more to say and in between IRL time doesn't matter.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....