Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Autarch

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:15 pm

I think I'm happy with the ones on there for now. I'll specify the tatu album as 200 Po Vstrechnoy
No Good Advice

Postby Franco » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:30 pm

I'll pitch 2 and a wildcard

Shakira - She Wolf
Girls Aloud - Tangled Up

Diddy Dirty Money - Last Train to Paris (I'll let you judge its eligibility. It is arguably pop but I'd concede maybe doesn't fit the spirit)
Franco

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:32 pm

She Wolf's already on the list but big up Girls Aloud
No Good Advice

Postby mellowgold » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:44 pm

yeah good call putting some girls aloud on there i never got into them outside some singles and the nicola roberts album, which im going to also nominate lol
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby mellowgold » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:47 pm

Nicola Roberts - Cinderella's Eyes

Diana Vickers - Music to Make Boys Cry
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold

Postby Franco » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Wooopsie I misunderstood and thought the first wheel was wiped clean for all new submissions til Sunday.
Franco

Postby mellowgold » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:49 pm

hi bump! albums?
mellowgold

Postby FourLegsGood » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:05 pm

No Doubt - Return of Saturn
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby scrambled » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Tangled Up made me a pop enthusiast. (Out of Control is also stellar)

Aphrodite made me a pop stan. - though I'd be curious about X or Fever getting reviewed. I feel like Aphrodite might have aged really well?? Though I listen more to X stuff throughout the years.

I haven't seen the name 'Diana Vickers' in so long, holy shit.

Other thoughts while looking at my very 2007 - 2010 last.fm:
Au Revoir Simone - Still Night, Still Light
Florence + the Machine — Lungs
La Roux — La Roux (can't imagine how this ages)
Duffy - Rockferry (ditto)
Goldfrapp — Supernature (or Black Cherry or Felt Mountain - shit I might make a Goldfrapp thread)
Lily Allen — It's Not Me, It's You
Siobhán Donaghy — Ghosts
Solange - Sol-Angel & the Hadley St. Dreams
Kelis - FleshTone
scrambled

Postby mellowgold » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:14 am

ugh im sorry ive been bad! thanks for posting those scrambled.

for anyone else interested, post your albums by the end of the day and tomorrow morning i PROMISE well pick a new album finally lol sorry!
mellowgold

Postby mellowgold » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 am

im adding Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
mellowgold

Postby mellowgold » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 am

hi ok i think i added up everyone's suggestions into that wheel!

https://tinyurl.com/ycufm58v

i spun it and got...

ImageToggle Spoiler

so ill just make this the album we talk about for the next 2 weeks and stop stalling! updating thread now!!!

lets use that wheel and add/remove albums to decide in the future! :)
mellowgold

Postby Franco » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:03 am

oooohhhhhh

lmk if anyone needs it
Franco

Postby mellowgold » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:05 am

ive never gotten into girls aloud so im excited to listen. ive heard some singles (like call the shots!) but ive weirdly know more about their solo stuff
mellowgold

Postby bunejug » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:08 am

omg at the wheel determining our fate.. love it.
bunejug

Postby mellowgold » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:51 am

wow didnt expect this album to be so \m/
mellowgold

Postby BlackSugar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 am

this is going to be a weird one to review because I've put a full SIX of the songs on my girls aloud comp, which I have listened to hundreds of times. which means that I'm extremely familiar with half of this record -- sexy no no no is one of my absolute favorite pop songs -- and almost completely unfamiliar with the other half. gonna be a little odd
I come like a thousand doves
BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 am

Yeah!

Girls Aloud was one of my first, like, proper big pop loves. In that I stanned for them, bought shirts, dvds, promoted them to friends, and this after many years of dumb indie rockist attitudes in my teens. It was _exhilarating_ to the point that I'd have to say Girls Aloud really did impact my life in a meaningful way. I can't convey how great it was to fully embrace something this fun and colorful.

'Chemistry' was probably the first time people talked about GA albums, not just their singles, as classics. Tangled Up continued that, and I think at the time it was seen as more complex, maybe even better than Chemistry (not sure myself). "Sexy! No No No" is a pretty outrageous lead single, several songs spliced together Wannabe-style, same disregard for structure as many other of their singles. It sounds really harsh and overly aggressive. It's good!

Working with Xenomania means Girls Aloud often sound.. surprising, different and maybe at odds with the trends of the time. Their singles aren't obvious chart fodder. I think you kind of need to get to know the group to love them. They're not riding on the back of any other movement. Also probably why they never made it big outside of GB.

Max Martin would never OK these singles, and as much as I love him, that's one of the great things about GA. They just did a weird thing for many years and somehow got 20 consecutive top 10 singles out of it. Ramshackle image. Not great singers. Launched on a shitty reality show that also birthed a flop boy band that was considered more promising.

This album is a great, odd collection of trash, rock, synths, britishness, gaudy genre jumps, shouting.
Last edited by No Good Advice on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
No Good Advice

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:28 am

Imagine! A talent show with weeks and weeks of singing contests, and these girls are who won! Would never happen now, or even a few years later, when the talent show formula was polished and only technically ~great~ vocalists could stand a chance. What an insane series of events leading to this.
No Good Advice

Postby Franco » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 pm

I never knew that Sexy! was the first single and I can't wrap my head around that
Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm

I could run through walls listening to this album
Franco

Postby BlackSugar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:36 pm

if you like sexy no no no, then check out 'fling' as it also has that epic stadium guitar sound as well
I come like a thousand doves
BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Franco » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:44 pm

I really wish that Black Jacks and Fling weren't separated by Control of the Knife. I want those two mega riffs uninterrupted. Even the vocals are having trouble contending lol
Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Fling's another level tho
Franco

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:39 pm

No Good Advice

Postby Franco » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:24 pm

No Good Advice wrote:They just did a weird thing for many years and somehow got 20 consecutive top 10 singles out of it. Ramshackle image. Not great singers. Launched on a shitty reality show that also birthed a flop boy band that was considered more promising.

After some reacquainting today, I'm sitting here wondering if these traditional weaknesses led to a strategy of sorts for Tangled Up. Because this is statement-level production that is hard, wild, and fast, butting right up against a lot of the vocals. It's like if they had slowed down and let it breathe just a little bit then the cracks begin to show and the spell wears off. Even when the production moves into more supportive territory as in Can't Speak French, its still propulsive and feels in charge.

The album does cast a spell on me and has for 10 years. Tracks 1-6 are all hit level and my favorite among them shifts around. Fling is huge. I LOVE Damn and its surfiness. It has this revue-feeling sentimentality that makes me think it would have been a great album closer.

My weak points are Control of the Knife, What You Crying For, and I'm Falling. Croc's not a fav but its ok - a bad closer imo.

A re-sequencing could really help (what is already one of my fav albums lol). It would hurt to break up that first big block of tracks but there's a chance that it could have more of a full satisfying arc as a whole.
Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 pm

One unexpected side effect to playing this today - all these guitars put Bad Kids (L Gaga) in my head something fierce
Franco

Postby scrambled » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:50 am

FUUUUUCK YES

Tangled Up totally hit me at the right time when it came out. Ramshackle is such a good word for them. Sexy No No No as the lead single with the video me with its unique brand of cheap pseudo avant garde matched with a ramped up beat and lyrical insanity. It made me truly fall in love with pop in a new way. UK just does pop so differently, especially during the time this album came out.

Excited to revisit in a bit. I remember loving Knife back in the day, but we'll see.

I do think Call the Shots is objectively their best song (with Biology as a close 2nd). Shots just exemplifies everything I want in a song. Also I feel like that video is when they transitioned from ramshackle to polished? or pseudo polished? ~*~ So full of twilight, dreams that glitter ~*~
scrambled

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:06 am

I loved Tangled Up to death but don't know if I could revisit.

The "Call the Shots" video is definitely... polished. I don't know if it's actually any better than the earlier ones.

"Biology" is second to none IMO.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....