Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby chowder julius » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:22 pm

like honestly maybe i don't want to think about ways i would barricade myself in my office if someone with a gun comes in and tries to kill me
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:25 pm

i am lucky to work in a heavily secured office setting i guess but it is bananas how many security staff we have for a building our size and all the hoops you have to jump through to get inside. they also screen all incoming mail offsite in case people try to send us anthrax or bombs which is a thing that happens in this fucked up world too
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Autarch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Bob511 wrote:Meanwhile, Governor DeSantis reached down and removed the Broward County Sheriff because MSD happened, and replaced him with the owner of an active-shooter-response firm.

fuck
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Buddy Glass » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 am

chowder julius wrote:like honestly maybe i don't want to think about ways i would barricade myself in my office if someone with a gun comes in and tries to kill me

Yeah, I didn't go in to work when we had our active shooter/etc training last year. Apparently the experts recommended people barricade themselves in one of the large conference rooms, but it has a floor to ceiling glass window so I don't know what protection that would really offer anyone if someone had a gun and was intent on getting in there.

The biggest single determinant would probably be where you happened to sit in the office layout relative to where the shooting started, and no one wants to think for very long about that, or a million other arbitrary factors that fall way more on the side of blind stupid luck rather than preparedness.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby Catullus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am

TBH if there is a real active shooter I will just have a panic attack and be dead to the world, I'm not fucking killing someone.

BTW, the items on the list were:
Scissors
Fire Extinguisher
Bat (we were told to invest in bats)
Pens/pencils (keep em sharpened)
Chairs
Flag
Hole punch/stapler

If I recall there was an illustration of using a pen to jab in someone's eye

Also this week we had training in how to stop catastrophic bleeding. Can you pack a wound cuz I can! I already knew you should just use tampons for bullet wounds but we learned how to shove shit in there and how to know that you've gotten it as far as it needs to go (you can feel where the spurting is!)
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby Ted Pikul » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:30 am

New guy at work also has a consulting business doing active shooter training and offered to do one for free

Everyone's really excited about it

Fortunately for me I work in a different building as the rest of the division and plan to "be in meetings all day"
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Ted Pikul » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:32 am

He also trains search and rescue dogs

But his real passion (full time job) is in enterprise resource planning software somehow
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Catullus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:44 am

I guess if you're one of those people who are like 'fuck yes, lets stop these bastards!' and are cool with guns being fired around you then you'd look forward to it.

Otherwise its 0/10 would not recommend.
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby tgk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 am

We had an active shooter lockdown at my kids school a few weeks ago. Some man shot his ex fiance and others in a hospital right by the school so the whole area got shut down. Luckily my kid didn't really know what was going on.
tgk

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 am

Catullus wrote:(we were told to invest in bats)

this'll stay with me
heven’s full of merderers
DasLofGang

Postby mcwop23 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 am

they had this as an optional training at work this past week

it was from 10-12

i was at lunch from 10:05 to 1:00
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby tgk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:50 am

DasLofGang wrote:
Catullus wrote:(we were told to invest in bats)

this'll stay with me

Important bat to the face announcement
tgk

Postby Marza » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/us/t ... plies.html

"94 Percent of U.S. Teachers Spend Their Own Money on Active Shooter Defense Bats, Survey Finds"
Marza

Postby theta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:26 am

catullus, i'm so sorry you had to go through that. if the school is set on requiring it, is there any way that you and other staff could collectively petition to have a different and less traumatic training?

we haven't had to do anything like this but we do have lockdown drills where the classroom is secured and the students hide. some of my students cry. i want to cry too. sitting with them in the dark it's hard to think of anything else but how i would have to try and protect them if something really did happen. or about sandy hook, which is such an unspeakable horror that i kind of understand why people want to deny that it was real. but i have to act like the whole thing is normal, because it would upset the kids more if they see me upset.

some schools here were on lockdown due to threats not long ago and they had kids sitting in bathrooms for hours. this country is so beyond fucked.
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby Catullus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Unfortunately this shit is all mandated because I'm in the district where a large school shooting occurred and I'm just lucky we have not yet had to have firearms training.
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby Bartatua » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Hate to bump such a bummer of a thread but i was thinking about it and it was fucking me up today

I so badly don't want my kid or any kid to have to do any of this shit
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Bartatua » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 pm

this got posted somewhere else recently and is part of what had my mind on it:

i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Catullus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:41 pm

Hers was similar to ours only they were not prop guns in ours
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....