Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby ripersnifle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:27 am

somehow just noticed that "snow is falling..." and "nights..." are both 6mins. rly love that mode of a song. chill 6 min ballad with many instrumental passages.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:57 am

Quigley wrote:My only quibble so far is that the Carrie stuff is a little too Drake-y for my liking, especially "she's making friends."
actually feel like this is the weakest track on this thing.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby Althea » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:24 am

Having listened a few more times it's still a weaker track but doesn't seem Drake-y anymore. At first I heard it like Hotline Bling, like a good girl wouldn't be going out and making new friends without him, but Berman seems to accept her as she is and specifically says that he doesn't want her to change. The line about men wanting to "obtain" her just threw me at first.

Althea

Postby powderfinger » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:28 am

This album is so disarming because it seems more explicitly autobiographical than almost anything he released under Silver Jews. Those songs often felt more abstracted, more like stories, etc. while these feel grounded in his life. Or maybe the publicity tour is making me feel it harder this time. Either way, I'm taken aback by it.

powderfinger

Postby neuartillery » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:08 pm

ripersnifle wrote:
Quigley wrote:My only quibble so far is that the Carrie stuff is a little too Drake-y for my liking, especially "she's making friends."

Same but man does “I want to be a warm and friendly person / But I don't know how to do it” hit me.

neuartillery

Postby mondrary » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm

this is real good! i'm not a berman super-fan, although i do love the natural bridge (which this reminds me of in vibe more than any other jews record i've heard), but this really hits the spot.

mondrary

Postby naturemorte » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 pm

ripersnifle wrote:

My friend and I figured out that this song should actually be a Nancy and Lee style-country duet but he either couldn't write or couldn't find someone to sing the female part

Not the best tune, great pedal steel outro though
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro

naturemorte

Postby mondrary » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:12 pm

idt she's making friends is that drake-y, it sounds pretty self-deprecating to me lyrically. not one of my favs on the album tho. i love the two long songs the most, i think, but maybe i'm the only one for me is on right now and it rules

mondrary

Postby ripersnifle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:44 pm

https://slate.com/culture/2019/07/purple-mountains-album-review-david-berman-silver-jews.amp
But these Purple Mountains come with some of their own majesties, including a range of instrumental textures and background vocals (most memorably the Nico-like strains of Haley Fohr from Circuit des Yeux on the song “Nights That Won’t Happen”).

woah didn't realize this!

ripersnifle

Postby goldsoundz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:25 pm

man i really love the night that won't happen / storyline fever back to back

goldsoundz

Postby tolka » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:33 pm

there's something really lovely about your new avatar, ripersnifle
Night porter wrote:Ftr I disagree with myself

tolka
ok

Postby ripersnifle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:38 pm

been struggling a bit with the closer on this. i'm not sure ... i find it convincing? could just be my personal headspace though recently?

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:34 pm

also been doing a long overdue Joos revisit.
i'm rly preferring The Natural Bridge vibes to American Water today and it's kinda shocking me. just not up for the Malkmus Caterwauling these days.

ripersnifle

Postby gandhi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 pm

I'm always up for malk it's like hearing a pal join in on a favorite record simply love it

gandhi

Postby tarantula » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 pm

i'm glad to see this record majorly dapped by the majority because i love it too. 'snow is falling in manhattan' is doing it for me most currently. the conceit going on in the lyrics, where by the end the narrator has taken you into the song as a friend offering respite from the weather outdoors, is a nice counter-balance to the personal suffering of the others songs, universal as they are

i was going thru the silver jews discography and noticed almost every album is exactly 10 songs long, with the exception of 'starlight walker' and 'american water' being 11 and 12 songs. berman seems to structurally conceive of albums within strict limitations and it pays off, but i wonder what would happen if he loosened up

early press about purple mountains mentioned he'd recorded the entire album previously with the black mountain guys, who are heavy, almost stoner rock

but he scrapped it. would love to someday hear these sessions come to light

tarantula

Postby ripersnifle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:10 pm

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:27 pm

ripersnifle wrote:found this good interview with Poetry Foundation this afternoon
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2019/07/Actual-Air-in-the-Purple-Mountains-An-Interview-With-David-Berman
TN: Well, this can be for the interview or not, but I’m really sorry to read about you and Cassie. I remember first meeting you at the Caledonia in Athens for the Actual Air reading and meeting her, too. She was very drunk and talking about, I think, the drummer for Iron Maiden? I was very charmed. Anyways, it seems from the outside that you tried hard to make it work and share some kind of life together. I had wondered, listening to the new song, if she was part of that gone happiness. Living with people. Difficult.

DB: It’s sad. We love each other and never fight. But the way we’d like to spend out next 10,000 nights are completely different. And saying that out loud, when you don’t have kids, it naturally follows.....

But being in the middle of it is painful.

We own our house together. When I come home, like I am now, she is my family. We’ve been here 20 years in Nashville. (the grotesquefiction of Nashville over the last seven years, makes leaving easier). It hurts most when you fall into a sentimental frame of mind.

I’ve had to stop going to the nearest grocery store that seems to play Shania Twain’s “Forever and For Always” whenever I’m there. It’s hard to shop for frozen entrees through cold-air blasted tears. Feels good on a flushed face though.
wow

ripersnifle

Postby tarantula » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:44 pm

yeah, thanx for posting that interview

berman mentions in it that at one point he traveled out to joshua tree to try recording. that could only be at rancho de la luna where all the insane desert rock bands i grew up with recorded

which is sort of mind blowing to me given i'm probably the only berman/jews/purple mountains fan from that area. weird synchronicity :shock:

tarantula

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:10 am

i'm obsessed with that little guitar figure/solo ~5:06-7 in "nights..."

ripersnifle

Postby tarantula » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:06 am

listened to that part you describe and i agree that woods have done this album justice and i'm stoked to see them play live in september

two of the excellent interviews ripersnifle has posted mention a time when berman was asked to give a lecture on poetry at his highschool in dallas and how he spent the night before smoking crack only to wake up in a homeless encampment under a freeway and stumble into the classroom to deliver the goods without any memory of what he actually said afterwards

as a former esl teacher who's done many a class hungover i'm sort of envious but mostly in awe

like after a night of getting blasted on alcohol/weed and posting on hipinion i wake up with this deep shame

so i can only imagine the pain

tarantula

Postby antoine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:22 am

i never got into silver jews much apart from their most well-known songs natch but i really like "all my happiness is gone".

reminds me of "it's a wonderful life" era sparklehorse if not exactly in sound than in tone. that sort of defeated sad vibe wrapped up in big layered production. it's very nice.

antoine

Postby tarantula » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:46 am

drinking margaritas at the mall is so fucking good at explaining succinctly why i've been upset for the past 20 years in pleasing song form

tarantula

Postby antoine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:12 am

Listening to the rest of this...wow this album is really good

antoine

Postby brent » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 am

i love the video for darkness and cold

i should probably try getting into silver jews again

brent

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:19 am

i'm getting back into getting back into getting back into silver jews

goldsoundz

Postby antoine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:22 pm

"Nights That Won't Happen" is so dang pretty

antoine

Postby pissydan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm

goldsoundz wrote:i'm getting back into getting back into getting back into silver jews

silver jews died when the first kid said...
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby whatabout tim » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:50 pm

I spent the weekend lisnin to the joos and still can't get into purple mountains. Not sure what's goin on with me
tim

whatabout tim

Postby marble » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:02 pm

yeah that's weird. there's def an argument that this is the best thing he's done i think

marble

Postby whatabout tim » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:06 pm

I tend to like the silver jews stuff he put out at his worst. There's just something terribly well balanced and relaxed about this that is just not hitting me. It's almost like he's too at peace, as shitty as that sounds
tim

whatabout tim

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....