spice world: villeneuve's dune

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby postbot » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:00 pm

This is the promo pic that made me think: "Okay, these costumes rule." They're subtle but neat.

bluestoy wrote:I want to live this lifestyle. I want to be food and art obsessed. I want to be...a New Yorker!

postbot

Postby Hoxha » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:47 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:for the people who have seen this, thoughts on the complaints about some of the costumes/designs looking a little drab etc? i mean just based on the promo stills a lot of that stuff isnt blowing my hair back but that's not enough to make me think i wont like it

They look fine in the movie. It relies more on the music, huge spaceships, big sets, etc. to create the mood, I think more elaborate costumes would have ended up being too much unless you toned other things down.

The Harkonnens were a bit boring though.

Hoxha

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:34 am

It's very competent filmmaking and the sets look great but the rhythm is off and it's never truly exciting or engaging. You also never feel the heat of Dune.

The Fool on the Hill

Postby frog bongino » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:50 am

The Fool on the Hill wrote:It's very competent filmmaking and the sets look great but the rhythm is off and it's never truly exciting or engaging. You also never feel the heat of Dune.

Sounds cool.

And does anyone ever "feel" the heat of dune tho? They have technologied it away. I can't remember anything in the book describing how the characters are like, hot.

frog bongino

Postby kirito » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:56 am

yeah the nobles never leave arakeen or their palaces except in an ornithopter and the fremen never leave the sietch in the daytime. i hope they left in the part where jessica sees locals admiring the date palms on the street outside the palace before mieps corrects her and says they're looking at them hoping they'll die because of how much water they waste.
the devil my opp
can't pay me to stop (it's lit!)
my god at the top (laflame)

kirito

Postby Subbacultcha » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:01 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:started reading Dune Messiah! haven't read the original since like 2015 so hopefully it doesn't require me to remember too much minutiae

I just started reading Messiah as well but thank goodness I found a youtube dune bookclub series that recaps and analyzes the book in 6 chunks to remind me of all the minutiae I forgot (or just went over my short attention span head).
https://youtu.be/tgBq27vH8ms

Subbacultcha

Postby extendedphenotype » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:05 pm

Don’t worry. I read Dune Messiah immediately after the first book and I still didn’t understand it.
extendedphenotype

Postby Subbacultcha » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:06 pm

then the youtube series above will help you since it's basically cliff notes for all the books

Subbacultcha

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:21 pm

sorry this is maybe covered somewhere in those vids but, is the idea seeded anywhere in Dune that

Irulan is spiteful of Paul and/or would want to like, try to get him out of power?Toggle Spoiler

ALSO, can't remember why the Bene Geserrit woman would be so against Paul's mother, calling her a traitor.Toggle Spoiler

maybe i remember less of hte first book than i'd remembered lol. mostly just don't know if the conspiracyToggle Spoiler stuff at the beginning of Messiah is supposed to be kind of a twist/surprise or if i am just supposed to expect it given the tides in the first book
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby kirito » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:25 pm

the bene gesserit hate jessica because they have the ability to choose the gender of their offspring, she was meant to have a girl who would become the new reverend mother as part of their breeding program but she chose to have a boy instead so leto would have an heir.Toggle Spoiler
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:27 pm

ah yeah i was thinking maybe that, btu then i also thought she was supposed to have him to become their prophecied kqizatz haderach i'm not goonna attempt to spell that rn lol. but my memory is that they were in a like, thousand-year plan to essentially birth Paul?Toggle Spoiler
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:sorry this is maybe covered somewhere in those vids but, is the idea seeded anywhere in Dune that

Irulan is spiteful of Paul and/or would want to like, try to get him out of power?Toggle Spoiler

ALSO, can't remember why the Bene Geserrit woman would be so against Paul's mother, calling her a traitor.Toggle Spoiler

maybe i remember less of hte first book than i'd remembered lol. mostly just don't know if the conspiracyToggle Spoiler stuff at the beginning of Messiah is supposed to be kind of a twist/surprise or if i am just supposed to expect it given the tides in the first book

I just finished reading Dune yesterday so this is all fresh for me. For yr first question, it doesn’t really give a lot of insight into Irulan’s thoughts on Paul, but Paul makes it clear that he’s marrying her out of necessity and only cares about Chani, so it wouldn’t be surprising for Irulan to plot against himToggle Spoiler.

For yr second question, the reverend mother freaks out at Jessica because of Alia’s power and because Jessica did the ceremony while she was pregnant. She calls Jessica a traitor a bunch of times at the end when she realizes what’s happened. I think it’s also related to her going against the breeding plan of the Bene Geserrit and having Paul with the Duke instead of a daughter like she was supposed to.Toggle Spoiler

rich uncle skeleton

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Ah of course someone already answered while typing that. My b

rich uncle skeleton

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:32 pm

ahhh okay, so the former def makes sense, and the latter the idea is like, she jumped the gun on the plan without their consent, like LEEROY JENKINSToggle Spoiler?

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:ah yeah i was thinking maybe that, btu then i also thought she was supposed to have him to become their prophecied kqizatz haderach i'm not goonna attempt to spell that rn lol. but my memory is that they were in a like, thousand-year plan to essentially birth Paul?Toggle Spoiler

I think in one of the appendices for Dune it says that Jessica was supposed to have a daughter who was supposed to inbreed with Feyd-Rautha and that son was the planned Kwizatch Haderach or whateverToggle Spoiler

rich uncle skeleton

Postby extendedphenotype » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:33 pm

I don’t think she was supposed to have a kwisatz haderach much less an abomination

I think Irulan was in love with and admired Paul despite his nonreciprocal feelings.
Toggle Spoiler
extendedphenotype

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:36 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:
Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:ah yeah i was thinking maybe that, btu then i also thought she was supposed to have him to become their prophecied kqizatz haderach i'm not goonna attempt to spell that rn lol. but my memory is that they were in a like, thousand-year plan to essentially birth Paul?Toggle Spoiler

I think in one of the appendices for Dune it says that Jessica was supposed to have a daughter who was supposed to inbreed with Feyd-Rautha and that son was the planned Kwizatch Haderach or whateverToggle Spoiler

yes this is what I remember
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:37 pm

She did what she did out of love for Leto but she also fucked their shit up royally

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Cool cool. Yeah all makes sense, and seemed to track when I was reading, but I just wasn't sure how much I was supposed to be surprised by things, but yeah lots of details like the BG thing must have slipped away in the like 6 years since I've read Dyune

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:38 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:She did what she did out of love for Leto but she also fucked their shit up royally

seen Oscar Isaac? I would of done the same thing!11

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby kirito » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:39 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:Ah of course someone already answered while typing that. My b

it’s cool i had forgotten about the detail you mentioned and it’s a necessary part of it
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 pm

I mean some of that pretty big context was tucked away in an appendix so even if it hadn’t been 6 years I think you’d be excused for missing it.

I kind of want to keep going because of how insane it sounds like the later books get but the one friend I have thats read them all said I’d be way better off just reading the Wikipedia summaries and saving countless hours lol
Last edited by rich uncle skeleton on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rich uncle skeleton

Postby kirito » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 pm

extendedphenotype wrote:I don’t think she was supposed to have a kwisatz haderach much less an abomination

I think Irulan was in love with and admired Paul despite his nonreciprocal feelings.
Toggle Spoiler

yeah, the epitaphs written by her at the beginning of each chapter prove this pretty much
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby guy forget » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:41 pm

Irulan’s epitaphs are cool as hell
YES JACK, YES!!!!!!!

guy forget

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Man I totally forgot she wrote the epitaphs when I said it doesn’t give much insight into her thoughts on Paul, I was just thinking about the very few lines of dialogue she has in the last scene. Once again my bad

rich uncle skeleton

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:49 pm

yeah i think i would get a lot out of that stuff on a reread knowing where the story goes. the in-book text is a big reason i think it's haard to capture a lot of what makes Dyune special into a film or whatever

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby kirito » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:51 pm

i actually like how lynch opened the movie with virginia madsen addressing the camera, probably the closest he could get to replicating the feeling of opening the book for the first time without knowing wtf is going on
the devil my opp

kirito

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:53 pm

kirito wrote:i actually like how lynch opened the movie with virginia madsen addressing the camera, probably the closest he could get to replicating the feeling of opening the book for the first time without knowing wtf is going on

agreed I have always loved this decision

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:56 pm

iirc i really liiked the font on the location titles in Lynch's? nice and clean

gonna rewatch once that new Arrow blu shows up :oops:

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby extendedphenotype » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:I mean some of that pretty big context was tucked away in an appendix so even if it hadn’t been 6 years I think you’d be excused for missing it.

I kind of want to keep going because of how insane it sounds like the later books get but the one friend I have thats read them all said I’d be way better off just reading the Wikipedia summaries and saving countless hours lol

I’m on the first Brian Herbert one now and I’d suggest reading them.
extendedphenotype

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone