Postby garbiel » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:16 pm

i understand dune
New Improved Alaska wrote:shut the fuck up

garbiel

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 pm

excellent toop

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Subbacultcha » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:51 am

light rail coyote wrote:a thing i had forgotten about the novel, somehow, is that it's like 75% just expository dialogue

So far Herbert is the most telling/explaining-instead-of-showing author of fiction I've ever read.

I just finished Dune Messiah and now onto Children of Dune!

If they indeed make a 3rd one based on Messiah, oh boy, that will such a downer for the entire run of the movie...

Subbacultcha

Postby aububs » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:22 am

whenever i see this thread title my brain immediately says the word "spiceneuve"
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby sobieski » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:25 am

the spiceneuve must flow
sm//o/ke le/ss weed
and sleep more
always/ tip %20

sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Architecture » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:53 am

Subbacultcha wrote:
light rail coyote wrote:a thing i had forgotten about the novel, somehow, is that it's like 75% just expository dialogue

So far Herbert is the most telling/explaining-instead-of-showing author of fiction I've ever read.

I just finished Dune Messiah and now onto Children of Dune!

If they indeed make a 3rd one based on Messiah, oh boy, that will such a downer for the entire run of the movie...

just fucking wait, because you ain’t read shit yet

still conflicted on children of dune, but i think it’s fair to say the first book is the best (so far)

i have god emperor on deck, but i’m taking a detour thru the new sun tetralogy first
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:57 am

The first book is the best by a long shot. Herbert's writing is heavy-handed and clunky but the world he builds is fascinating. He's kinda similar to a George Lucas who is not a good director but a good world-builder.

The Fool on the Hill

Postby A-Ok » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:03 am

God Emperor is my favorite by a long shot.
what you say goes and your sight beats everyone elses.

A-Ok

Postby extendedphenotype » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:48 pm

I think it really heats up when Darwi Odrade is introduced.
extendedphenotype

Postby A-Ok » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:34 pm

extendedphenotype wrote:I think it really heats up when Darwi Odrade is introduced.

hell yeah. Heretics of dune is where I wished the hbo series would start. Hbo should buy showtime, get Lynch to do a 14 episode god emperor series and then start the bene gesserit series after the scattering. End it on the ending cliff hanger in chapterhouse.

A-Ok

Postby extendedphenotype » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:36 pm

I started the Brian Herbert one after that but I haven’t gotten through it.
extendedphenotype

Postby sobieski » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:39 pm

sm//o/ke le/ss weed
and sleep more
always/ tip %20

sobieski
Comptroller

Postby A-Ok » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:13 pm

extendedphenotype wrote:I started the Brian Herbert one after that but I haven’t gotten through it.

Doesn't do much for the story. Nothing really cool introduced. There's a bunch of ghola's. Holy shit, reading the synopsis of the last book's climax is wild. Can't remember much from reading them but they sound awful.

A-Ok

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:33 pm

i'm liking Messiah more than I expected given the reputation. we're still in the early stages like we just met the ghola so i guess it could take a big dive.

i dunno how i pictured duncan idahoToggle Spoiler in the first book, but now i couldn't help picturing him as momoa.Toggle Spoiler

when i first started the first book i imagined Paul as quite a bit younger than either of the movies had him, so he was sort of halfway between Maclachlan and Burt Cort from Harold and Maude in my mind lol. Messiah tracks fine as 1985 Kyle so that's what my brain has decided to go with
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby extendedphenotype » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:43 pm

A-Ok wrote:
extendedphenotype wrote:I started the Brian Herbert one after that but I haven’t gotten through it.

Doesn't do much for the story. Nothing really cool introduced. There's a bunch of ghola's. Holy shit, reading the synopsis of the last book's climax is wild. Can't remember much from reading them but they sound awful.

Yeah it was starting to become too much of a greatest hits compilation with those gholas. And the faulty reasoning that bringing back everyone and their mother from thousands of years ago would somehow help them survive. “And here is the DNA from Shadout Mapes. Now we can finally keep those futar cages clean!”
extendedphenotype

Postby Skerple » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:23 am

this movie is cool
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby baleen » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:33 am

A-Ok wrote:
extendedphenotype wrote:I think it really heats up when Darwi Odrade is introduced.

hell yeah. Heretics of dune is where I wished the hbo series would start. Hbo should buy showtime, get Lynch to do a 14 episode god emperor series and then start the bene gesserit series after the scattering. End it on the ending cliff hanger in chapterhouse.

i'm a big supporter of the above two posts. I loved that Chapterhouse cliffhanger.
The answer is simple: artisanship.

baleen

Postby baleen » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:36 am

the summaries for all of the Brian Herbert books read as real
silly to me has anyone actually given those a shot
The answer is simple: artisanship.

baleen

Postby extendedphenotype » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:22 am

I’m like 35% through the first one and I think I’m done. Some of it is tolerable but I can’t make myself read another chapter about the baron harkonen ghola child
extendedphenotype

Postby auspice » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:59 pm

just saw this in the theater. really enjoyed it like I have other Villeneuve movies. still laughed at the awkwardness of the abrupt ending though.

---

DESERT POWERToggle Spoiler
Joker wrote:"I'm pooping and peeing and I love it!"

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby auspice » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:00 pm

it's really funny seeing all the initial complaints on twitter about the movie looking pretty without anything "happening." totally baffling that people can earnestly say that when the last Avengers movie was 3 hours.

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby auspice » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:10 pm

anyway I doubt I'm the first person here to bring this up but did anyone else find the presentation of the Fremen to be questionable given that they're clearly supposed to be a nod to Muslims? Like we're prefaced with "they live on a desert planet and are BRUTES" and then when they're introduced they're all basically scream-praying in burqas lol

Herbert based Fremen culture, in part, on the desert-dwelling Bedouin and San People.

ok thanks wikipedia

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:18 pm

they seem cool and sympathetic imo?

fwiw that line about like "they're BRUTAL" is referring to the harkonnens iirc. i thought the movie presented them as reasonably suspicious of the Atreides, and the only people with contempt for them seemed to be the Harkonnens, other than some fear of them ahead of time by like, Gurney and Paul or whatever but that stuff turning out to be unfounded is kinda of part of that arc I thought?

i dunno im an idiot lol
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby extendedphenotype » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:47 pm

They’re Zensunni. A combination of Sunni Islam and Zen Buddhism
extendedphenotype

Postby farmer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:08 pm

I think yall are overstating it. I mean, its not like herbert has the fremen go on a jihad

farmer

Postby garbiel » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:13 pm

what if jihad is good
New Improved Alaska wrote:shut the fuck up

garbiel

Postby internethandle » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:11 pm

extendedphenotype wrote:They’re Zensunni. A combination of Sunni Islam and Zen Buddhism

oh god i forgot about this lmao

internethandle
ok

Postby shirts optional » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:57 pm

Dunno if this is the general Villeneuve thead but Incendies is nuts

shirts optional

Postby hbb » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:00 am

auspice wrote:just saw this in the theater. really enjoyed it like I have other Villeneuve movies. still laughed at the awkwardness of the abrupt ending though.

---

DESERT POWERToggle Spoiler

On the desert they're the heroes four.
In this day and age who could ask for more?
Toggle Spoiler
hbb

Postby auspice » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:25 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:they seem cool and sympathetic imo?

fwiw that line about like "they're BRUTAL" is referring to the harkonnens iirc. i thought the movie presented them as reasonably suspicious of the Atreides, and the only people with contempt for them seemed to be the Harkonnens, other than some fear of them ahead of time by like, Gurney and Paul or whatever but that stuff turning out to be unfounded is kinda of part of that arc I thought?

i dunno im an idiot lol

I just meant their initial presentation, obviously the story itself shows them in a positive light but it felt like the source material's translation to the big screen made them out to be allegorical Muslims at first.

it kinda felt on par with how the Belters in The Expanse, who are the stand-ins for the lower class in that universe, are also given completely ridiculous accents for no discernible reason other than to highlight their other-ness. just felt weird to me.

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone