6%
10%
20%
33%
15%
8%

Total votes : 210

Postby churrokbyme » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:58 pm

I think splitting into two was probably a good idea, but bummed that I have to wait until 2023 to see paul get to stab CGI Sting in a banana hammock in the rain again lol
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

churrokbyme

Postby kirito » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:02 pm

the heighliners behaving like stargates was a little weird and not quite how they're described in the book. the sequence with the bene gesserit ship passing through it en route to caladan was cool in the theater but it was over so fast i wondered whether new people understood what was happening.

kirito

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:07 pm

churrokbyme wrote:besides those, however, I kinda agree with badvibes that the more minimal hypnotic/premonition sequences, while certainly absent the level of weirdness that Lynch pulls off, worked well enough.

i mean they work and they didn't take me out of it, it's just that i want more, dammit

light rail coyote

Postby churrokbyme » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:20 pm

light rail coyote wrote:
churrokbyme wrote:besides those, however, I kinda agree with badvibes that the more minimal hypnotic/premonition sequences, while certainly absent the level of weirdness that Lynch pulls off, worked well enough.

i mean they work and they didn't take me out of it, it's just that i want more, dammit

word up. definitely looking forward to see how they portray phat spice dabs
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

churrokbyme

Postby dr. badvibes » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:28 pm

kirito wrote:the heighliners behaving like stargates was a little weird and not quite how they're described in the book. the sequence with the bene gesserit ship passing through it en route to caladan was cool in the theater but it was over so fast i wondered whether new people understood what was happening.

whoa, i didn't remember this scene at all and had to go back and look

that's kind of wack since it defeats (or reduces) the importance of "navigators" if you can leave heighliners at different planets. i guess the job of navigators, if they depict it at all, will be to imagine the destination point?

the only heighliner scene i remembered was the part where the Giger cornucopia mouth is spewing ship seeds up to Arrakis (which was an awesome image a number of people pointed out in the thread)

dr. badvibes

Postby kirito » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:41 pm

my headcanon for now is that space folding also fucks with time to the point that it seems instantaneous for the traveller. so even though the navigators are doing what they do during transit, from the traveller's perspective no time has passed on their arrival. the ship doesn't actually exist in two points in space. no idea whether that's supported by the text or not. single ships passing through is probably an uncommon occurrence and something only someone as important as the reverend mother would be privileged to given how much the high cost of space travel is emphasized.

kirito

Postby tgk » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:52 pm

i am slowllllly getting through the book and had a chuckle at the part where duke leto is like "our clocks need to be changed to arrakis time, we'll have a technician come and take care of that". def a book from the 60s before clocks changed themselves!

tgk

Postby kirito » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:56 pm

they don’t have computers man!

kirito

Postby Bob511 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Manual clocks may not be replaced.
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby tgk » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:02 pm

wonder if they still run on double a's

tgk

Postby farmer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:03 pm

it's still unclear to me the degree to which computers are allowed in the duniverse, something about not making machine in the likeness of a human mind or something but idk what all that included, bc really none of our current tech is remotely in the likeness of a human mind yet i got the sense none of our current tech would be allowed in the duniverse

farmer

Postby farmer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:04 pm

i have some clocks that don't even have batteries, just wind up or weights and gears. they are not very accurate because i often forget to reset them.

farmer

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:15 pm

farmer wrote:it's still unclear to me the degree to which computers are allowed in the duniverse, something about not making machine in the likeness of a human mind or something but idk what all that included, bc really none of our current tech is remotely in the likeness of a human mind yet i got the sense none of our current tech would be allowed in the duniverse

it's not super clear (at least in the first book, i'm assuming that it gets elaborated upon in the 50 other ones that i have no intention of reading) but it seems like it's any machine that is actively tabulating or processing information.

so like a fancy blender is cool but a dollar store calculator is an affront to god

light rail coyote

Postby churrokbyme » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:05 pm

light rail coyote wrote:
farmer wrote:it's still unclear to me the degree to which computers are allowed in the duniverse, something about not making machine in the likeness of a human mind or something but idk what all that included, bc really none of our current tech is remotely in the likeness of a human mind yet i got the sense none of our current tech would be allowed in the duniverse

it's not super clear (at least in the first book, i'm assuming that it gets elaborated upon in the 50 other ones that i have no intention of reading) but it seems like it's any machine that is actively tabulating or processing information.

so like a fancy blender is cool but a dollar store calculator is an affront to god

new! magic thumpers, by hitachi

churrokbyme

Postby Fullscreen » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:16 pm

Uh well ACTually the Ixians do cool technology stuff on the DL but for the most part computers that can match the capabilities of mentats and guild navigators don't really come back until after the death of god emperor Leto II and the Scattering.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:16 pm

kirito wrote:agreed, as someone who finished the book just before the movie i thought paul's visions of jamis before they meet in which he becomes his friend and mentor were a brilliant way of visually showing that paul's visions are unreliable and often one of multiple possible paths

yeah i really liked this.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby shizaam » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:12 pm

shizaam

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:57 pm

That guy has a normal face but why is it his face is such a good character actor face
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby swamp angel » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:58 pm

piter is so sassy in the book; it's a shame the movie didn't do more with him

swamp angel

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:15 pm

yeah i'm hoping if they don't do a DC that there's at least a lot of deleted scenes or something. was so psyched at that casting and he's so underused
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby rixx » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:36 pm

Lol this game

rixx

Postby guy forget » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:57 pm

oh man that is great
YES JACK, YES!!!!!!!

guy forget

Postby average deceiver » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:40 pm

lock this thread while the correct score has the nice total

average deceiver

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:33 pm

light rail coyote wrote:

the Network Time Protocol is definitely not okay in this universe

"Thufir, send your best men to change every clock on Arrakis by hand"

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby kirito » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:18 pm

somebody just bought the jodorowsky dune bible for $2 million

kirito

Postby shacky » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:00 pm

got tix to imax opening night on thursday

it's the summer of doon bb

shacky

Previous

Return to The Hat Zone