Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby mellowgold » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:42 am

this is 2003 but w/e!

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby neuartillery » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:46 am

Another Dennis Miller supporting role to accompany The Net

neuartillery

Postby aububs » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:01 am

mellowgold wrote:
Eyeball Kid wrote:
mellowgold wrote:i watched GVS's "Psycho" last night. does that count?

i enjoyed it!

I saw this the day it opened and the decision to add fapping sounds to the scene where Vaughn spies on Heche the shower had the audience in stitches

lmfao

honestly VV is rlllly bad casting.

yeah he is bad casting but I like that movie too. and I appreciated the fapping sounds because he's def havin a wank in that scene, in the og too, so it makes sense to explicitly say that imo.

I also liked the odd moments inserted, like images of a deer and stuff? some clouds? iirc? (have not seen it since release).

it's essentially exactly the same as the og so I was always a bit bemused by the level of hate. I think it's that old "omg don't desecrate the classic movie!! this is so pointless!!" mentality which I have no time for. it must have been a really edifying and pleasurable experience for van sant (but evidently not everyone in the audience lol) to follow the exact same path and processes that hitchcock did.
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby mellowgold » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:04 am

yeah and i like how everyone in the movie felt like they were hermetically sealed from the rest of the world like... they were transported from 1960, styled like it was 1998 and told to act. p fun
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:14 am

It says something about The Discourse™ in the ensuing 20 years that GVS was pilloried at the time for doing a shot-for-shot remake of a classic film but Disney now is praised for the financial savvy of cannibalizing its own product with a shot-for-shot remake of The Lion King.

Eyeball Kid

Postby aububs » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 am

that lion king remake is going to make hundreds of millions of dollars so it would be right to call them financially savvy, but are they being praised on an artistic level? I think The Discourse probably remains the same in that area
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:09 am

Poptone wrote:Turbulance, 1997; dir. Robert Butler

Image]

This movie poster was on the back of every Marvel comic in mid-97. P formative for me (not the movie, just the poster being on the back of everything I read as a 9 year old).
As a reader of historical naval fiction,

https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy

Canadian Todd (for Canadians)

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:10 am

Hoxha wrote:By page 7 I feel most things have been posted, but:

did they highlight the first letter of each actor's last name to intentionally spell out "ehh"?
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby BlackSugar » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:15 am

perrsonally think schwarz's eraser is an underrated action flick
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:19 am

aububs wrote:that lion king remake is going to make hundreds of millions of dollars so it would be right to call them financially savvy, but are they being praised on an artistic level? I think The Discourse probably remains the same in that area

That less is talked about the artistic merits of something and more how people seem to get excited about things like box-office totals and the particulars of corporate product. Maybe it was like that in the late 90's, too, but it's amplified now that the majority of movies being produced in the US are endless sequels and reboots featuring the same handful of comic-book characters.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:42 pm

chairkicker wrote:
hbb wrote:

Just found out this was written by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale :shock:

it's a walter hill movie, even

it's also really fucking good

Yeah. Trespass is solid. Hill had one of the best, most unassailable streaks going into the mid-80s (Hard Times, the Driver [which almost sunk him but he'd already signed on to do the Warriors before Driver bombed], Warriors, Long Riders, Southern Comfort, 40 Hrs., Streets of Fire). But, like, 90s Hill - which was definitely lesser work - is interesting and relatively reliable at making technically strong stoic, masculine action thrillers. Trespass, Geronimo (with a Milius script) and esp Wild Bill were all good (Wild Bill is p much him working out a lot of the same stuff he'd done his entire career and was proto-s1Deadwood in story and using the same soundstage).

On any given day, Hill is one of the three directors who I could call my favorite (the other two being Miike and Carpenter). He's a guy who was the age of and came up in the New Hollywood, but beyond some thematic similarities, his stuff was really anachronistic. He really liked using genre to tease out the alienated men motif. Where new hollywood took the french new wave as a major influence, Hill's French influence was Melville. New hollywood was interested in boomer alienation, Vietnam disenfranchisement, a fear of white male displacement, an inability of men to cope with domesticity and expectation, an overwhelming sense of malaise they couldn't quite get a handle on. That wasn't Hill. Hill was interested in competent men whose skills were at odds with - and under threat of becoming outmoded by - a modernizing landscape. His protagonists were entirely internal characters who thought systematically and never wasted time or words. He was much more of a Fuller, Peckinpaw (who he wrote the Getaway for), Yates cloth, and instead of listless burnouts rejecting social pressures like travis bickle or bobby dupea, his characters were men driven by craft - men who didn't choose to be on the fringes because of boredom or inability to accept responsibility, but rather were pushed there as the world changes around them. They could only express themselves through violence because they were so internal, so process-focused.

He started out with writing and touching up screenplays and always had this economic style. He talked about liking Hemingway novels and Melville scripts. He wrote his characters and his scripts without bloat. In one of his interviews, he said everything you need to know about a character can be seen in how they react to a gun pointed in their face. That shit was so raw for me. I think there's a view of him as a journeyman, which is inaccurate and not really a fair read of his stuff. He wasn't playing with form like the film school/new hollywood cohort, but he has a great eye for composition and favored minimal cuts and a lot of static shots (to not obscure the action). His themes are quickly identifiable as Hill too. Like, he was only a few years ahead of Mann, but they were friends and there's a real throughline in their work - a real parallel in theme and script sensibilities (although Mann's camera is sensual and maximalist whereas Hill's is minimal and utility-based). Both are preoccupied with men doing work; who have personal codes that, when deviated from, become their own downfall; who stubbornly self destruct rather than acclimate to a world that no longer admires their skill or is amenable to their atomistic individualism. And, like, he had a stable of actors who do his stuff so good - Remar, Keith Carradine, Powers Boothe, David Patrick Kelly. He managed to get sizeable budgets until the late '90s despite the fact that p much all of his '90s work bombed and part of that was his rep and professionalism. I admire his work a lot.

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:42 pm

srry. derailed thread. i just really like walter hill.

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm

man, gary sinise feels like a dude whose career was confined entirely inside the 90s. usually character actors work for life as utility players but, like, i guess getting 9 seasons of primetime network procedural money means you don't have to do a lot anymore.

Postby feaxfang » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:51 pm

wintergreen wrote:i've watched blown away and copycat within the last two months.

here's one i'm guessing no one has thought about since 1993:

This looks extremely my shit. Thanks.

feaxfang

Postby wintergreen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:25 pm

that director (roger donaldson) had a hell of a run:

1997 Dante's Peak
1995 Species
1994 The Getaway
1992 White Sands
1990 Cadillac Man
1988 Cocktail

wintergreen

Postby Kevin McCallister » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:08 am

Kevin McCallister wrote:My girlfriend and I have a new Valentine's night tradition where we set up the projector and watch some steamy/lurid thriller and get wine drunk. On my walk home tonight I was actually wondering what we should watch this year, so I'm glad this thread is floating around. Anyway, last year we watched this very enjoyable piece of garbage starring James Spader and Shelly from Twin Peaks.

Love this description.
A successful businessman tries to uncover what is wrong with his wife.

Ah shit it's Valentine's Day and I forgot to download a steamy 90s thriller. Give me your reccs, the steamier the better.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:11 am

really happy this thread was bumped, was just thinking about it recently.
Canadian Todd (for Canadians) wrote:movies just all have to be deadpool for the guy who is going to wear shorts and knee-high socks while his wife implodes emotionally.

it's the suspense that gets me

Postby Riverchrist » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:55 am

Memorable for the acrobatic combo attack Cary Elwes unleashes on Alicia Silverstone and for this early 90s cheeze jam:

Riverchrist

Postby Goon Bloodgood » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:21 pm

maybe not a thriller but it's 90s, starring bruce willis, forgotten, and a walter hill movie

Goon Bloodgood

Postby Shotfrog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:26 pm

I've never actually seen 48 Hrs. I feel like... I should see 48 Hrs.

Shotfrog

Postby goofjan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:28 pm

plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby bongo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at a movie title as Johnny Skidmark.

My girlfriend and I have a new Valentine's night tradition where we set up the projector and watch some steamy/lurid thriller and get wine drunk. On my walk home tonight I was actually wondering what we should watch this year, so I'm glad this thread is floating around. Anyway, last year we watched this very enjoyable piece of garbage starring James Spader and Shelly from Twin Peaks.

Love this description.
A successful businessman tries to uncover what is wrong with his wife.

dream lover rules. file alongside the uniformly excellent spader rowdy harrington/spader flicks
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:34 pm

i went on a tear watching this exact brand of neo-noir comfort food late last year.

a couple standouts:

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby Riverchrist » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:40 pm

pana wrote:the fact that The Jackal has a dedicated website back in 97 made me google the first movie to have one. figured it would've been around 95-96 but it was either Stargate or Star Trek: Generations back in 94

Stargate is also the last movie I can recall where everyone is smoking cigarettes every second that there is like it's 1958.

Riverchrist

Postby goofjan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:03 pm

The Negotiator movie website had a flash game where you play as a hostage negotiator and guess what if you lose, everyone dies. pretty fucked up, in retrospect.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby R C » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:12 pm

have we covered Red Rock West yet? because that is a stone cold classic
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby Kevin McCallister » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm

I forgot we had a whole thread about lurid 90s thrillers called "lurid 90s hollywood"
https://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118125

Gonna go through it now, though it should be noted that I'm currently downloading Whispers in the Dark.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby bongo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:04 pm

enjoy it it rules

bongo
man in hammock

Postby Milk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:53 pm

not going through 8 pages to see if someone said

Absolutely ridiculous and hitchcockian. Saw it in theater as a teen, it was second part of the double feature. Never forgot it. See it every decade at least.Wolgang petersen directed.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."

Milk

Postby Milk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:53 pm

oh...lolol..its liek two posts above. sorry
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."

Milk

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....