We'll kick your ass in

is stem cell ethical

yes
100%
no
No votes

Total votes : 1

Postby mactheo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 am

A while back you couldn't throw a stick without hitting a discussion about stem cell research. what happened to it? Is it still going on?

Last edited by mactheo on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mactheo

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 am

Do people still say PP sells stem cells?
furrowed brow

Postby grace cathedral park » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 am

tech CEOs are extracting stem cells from 4 year olds getting diptheria vaccines and putting it into their knees now
Never knowingly eaten an ass.
grace cathedral park
The Rooster

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 am

yes it is indeed a crazy world.
furrowed brow

Postby shark week » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 am

i watched the W live address/announcement on this with my parents in 2001. i was 12 years old. that's the first presidential address i can remember watching outside of a SOTU or two from Clinton.

my parents were and still are anti-abortion. the stem cell research announcement was a big deal to them. i can't remember how they felt about Bush's decision afterwards. i remember the whole announcement seemed to hinge on the use of existing frozen embryos.
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it
shark week

Postby mactheo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 am

Does everyone just think it's okay now? wasn't there a big court case about it?

mactheo

Postby Bad Craziness » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:18 am

*VERB
Bad Craziness

Postby Conetoaster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:39 am

just finished working on a stem cell clinical trial, they were injected into patients brains.
Conetoaster

Postby WussWayne » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:15 am

I'm gonna be straight up. I want superpowers. Or a second penis.
WussWayne

Postby RIXX » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 am

Until very recently, I somehow held the notion that all stem cells came from the spine. I guess I never thought about stem cells and for some reason my brain automatically made the association stem cells = stem of a human = spine of a human. It was one of those don don's that really makes you question your own intelligence.
RIXX

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

dawg we banked our kid’s umbilical cord blood for stem cell possibilities
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:19 am

mainly because lady wop’s family gets the alzheimer’s/dementia. On the off chance they’ll figure shit out the next few decades.
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:24 am

that sucks mcwop. my dad's dad had it and it's fucked. if it ever seems like an inevitability for me i might just deleuze it.
furrowed brow

Postby mariavesperi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 am

that cartoon is ridiculously over clever

I worked in a stem cell lab as a temp for like a year it was dope. My boss said that a lot of stem cell therapy now is people just injecting shitloads of stem cells into their bodies being like I dunno can't hurt?
Fear is an illusion!
mariavesperi

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:30 am

i think it's kinda funny for that reason. are stem cells, like, hard to come by?
furrowed brow

Postby mariavesperi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:35 am

wow post number 1234 came and went just like that

my favorite thing about stem cells I learned working there is that the whole field was pioneered in a way by this guy who was generally ignored, spent his entire career in something like a home lab figuring out a way to induce testicle cancer in rats. Since tumors can grow masses of other kinds of cells in a similar way to how pluripotent stem cells can become different kinds of cells, this became super important research years later. So this dude just kept plugging away, giving rats nut tumors, no one in science giving a shit at all about his work. And he changed the world. Believe in yourself.
Fear is an illusion!
mariavesperi

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:37 am

wow, those poor rats.
furrowed brow

Postby mariavesperi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:45 am

furrowed brow wrote:i think it's kinda funny for that reason. are stem cells, like, hard to come by?

I do not really know the differences between different kinds of stem cells. Pluripotent ones can become all sorts of different kinds of stuff and can be grown in a lab, so it takes time, equipment and money but it's pretty consistent. Maybe you have to start in the very beginning with some feeder cells from human tissue or something? Most of my time in the lab was spent playing Simpsons Tapped Out on my phone.

I did learn the cheapest way to grow stem cells is to use mice as your growth 'media,' which turns the mice into stem cell factories until their bodies explode. My boss was like, it is... not how you want to grow stem cells.
Fear is an illusion!
mariavesperi

Postby mariavesperi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:49 am

furrowed brow wrote:wow, those poor rats.

They changed the world?

Yeah he was really into these unusual kind of tumors where like, a whole tooth can grow in the tumor. Or a mass of hair. And it more likely if they're testicle tumors.
Fear is an illusion!
mariavesperi

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:07 am

mariavesperi wrote:
furrowed brow wrote:wow, those poor rats.

They changed the world?

Yes, I'm sure they are smiling, looking down from rat heaven right now.

Sorry, I don't mean to be an asshole, I don't even have an opinion on animal testing. thx for the info about ur job
furrowed brow

Postby mariavesperi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 am

no yeah if you use the mice method they physically rupture, the life of a lab animal is def not a cool lot.
Fear is an illusion!
mariavesperi

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:53 am

it was a big reason why my sis dropped her neuroscience major after working in a lab.

i guess what i was driving at before is that, if stem cells are at all scarce, i feel like we shouldn't be injecting them into rich ppl's knees lol. but, i dunno, that's capitalism i guess
furrowed brow

Postby mactheo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks for the info, mariavesperi. What was the name of the rat guy?
mactheo

Postby mactheo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am

Conetoaster wrote:just finished working on a stem cell clinical trial, they were injected into patients brains.

why were they injected into patients brains?
mactheo

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....