So whats the hipinion on Footwork these days?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:00 am

still p good imo

Well, thanks for reading!
Last edited by furrowed brow on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:05 am

prob not an original thought, but this stuff seems/seemed like a spiritual cousin to jungle, just developed out of a whole other line of house music.
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:09 am

Wish i could find this mix
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:21 am

idk, establishing the boundaries of this genre is not the easiest.
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:25 am

furrowed brow

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 am

furrowed brow wrote:prob not an original thought, but this stuff seems/seemed like a spiritual cousin to jungle, just developed out of a whole other line of house music.

Gnome Sane
Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:36 am

furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 am

prof hh, i sorta had you in mind when I made that post. do you like the footwork/juke big names?
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 am

also, for the footwork fans, let's just appreciate the fact that planet mu released a (very good) comp of chicago footwork in 2010. PM was also one of the pre-established labels to recognize how good dubstep was early on and of course went on to put classics of the genre.
furrowed brow

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 am

furrowed brow wrote:prof hh, i sorta had you in mind when I made that post. do you like the footwork/juke big names?

i actually know very little beyond the jungle guys that crossover a bit and some random tracks on youtube i checked out a few years ago lol, def a blind spot. been meaning to check out that planet mu comp out tho! stuff in this thread is v good
Gnome Sane
Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:53 am

stuff in here is subject to selection bias, obv. but yeah, there's a lot of good stuff and def check out those planet mu comps + dj rashad in general. wait til you here the discordant/really off kilter side of the genre:

furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 am

oh and, thanks for those mixes btw. they sound p good on first glance, will need to give them a good listen soon.
furrowed brow

Postby tanaka » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:42 am

best footwork guys came out of the ghettotech/house scene (dance mania records etc), the bedroom stuff that was briefly popular via planet mu was interesting as novelty (i.e. what the fuck am i listening to) but it's mostly not... very good

tanaka

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:47 am

i don't get that, theres a lot of rashad, spinn, traxman on those comps. I
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:49 am

it seems like you're drawing a distinction that's not there, unless that scene was more stratified than i had realized.
Last edited by furrowed brow on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:52 am

and i mean, i agree that a lot of the stuff on those B&Ws comps wasn't very good too. i still like most of it in one way or another tho
furrowed brow

Postby tanaka » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:59 am

i don't get that, theres a lot of rashad, spinn, traxman on those comps.

not really, only a handful. and there's a marked difference between them and the other stuff. tho i'm not much of a fan of rashad/spinn's more experimental efforts either, traxman in particular made some stinkers when he drifted too far from ghettotech/house. only rp boo imo was able to make an art of the off the wall footwork stuff. i'd say the planet mu compilation created the illusion of a unified scene that never really existed (e.g. the music that people actually "footworked" at events wasn't stuff like dj nate) most of these songs were by kids from chicago who were just fucking around on their computers, very little connection to guys like rashad and spinn. i dunno, i haven't listened to or thought about this music in years so my take doesn't really mean much.
tanaka

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:03 am

no that's interesting. imo the pinnacle of that "scene" is the newer rashad stuff right up til when he died. obv by putting machinedrum, addison groove, etc itt i interpret "footwork" to mean more than just the Chicago thing.

but, also Jlin is good and v musical imo. She went on to do even more well produced stuff on planet mu.
furrowed brow

Postby churrokbyme » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 am

Footwork is good. Rashad and Jlin have stood the test of time.

I’m not too good at categorization, but in my head Dj funk/deonn/assault are different - I also still enjoy their work. JLin’s rhythmic complexity has aged better now that the “shock value” of prime ghetto tech has worn off, for me.

In terms of “the party” - seeing Jlin live was cool but had very little dancing/movement. Seeing Rashad in San Francisco a couple years before his death, however, was one of the best parties I’ve ever been too.
churrokbyme

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 am

yeah, i think both are (were) great songwriters in a genre that seems inherently hard to write songs in.
furrowed brow

Postby vault » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 am

I love it--it's literally 90% of my listening for the last 6 months. Like, I always wanted to like jungle/house/hip hop/weirdo shit but just could never make it work. The lack of bassdrum, the weird off-tempo throbs and claves and shit sends me into the fucking stratosphere like nothing else ever has. I like every single song on the Bangs comps. I think about DJ Rashad constantly. DJ Earl's "Above & Beyond" is a super sick release but it's been scrubbed form youtube and bandcamp for some reason. Please post your most wobbly footwork jams for me please.
vault

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:07 am

hmm good post, will try to think of some shit you may not have heard
furrowed brow

Postby hologram » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 am

still the standard
hologram
acid casualty

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 pm

furrowed brow wrote:stuff in here is subject to selection bias, obv. but yeah, there's a lot of good stuff and def check out those planet mu comps + dj rashad in general. wait til you here the discordant/really off kilter side of the genre:

this rules

not completely similar, but reminds me of:

weirdo juke/gabber/rave stuff by a guy that usually makes mental bassline stuff in sheffield, and loosely connected to pc music people
Gnome Sane
Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby a long gush from your hole » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:44 pm

i've thrown on flight muzik at least once a year since its release. a lot of it holds up imo

pop the trunk sounds like steve reich

weirdo japanese footwork like paisley parks still kinda stands out

https://ghost045.bandcamp.com/track/runaway

a few tracks on Бh○§† remind me of dj rashad... but more fucked up lol
現実に打ちのめされ倒れそうになっても
きっと 前を見て歩くDream Fighter
a long gush from your hole

Postby Esteban » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Foodman is p sick
Esteban

Postby terminus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm

terminus

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:58 pm

i got off it in 2011 b.c. it was making me real sad/anxious. now, my bf has to tell me that my sister's married b.c. he has fb. WHAT A WILD LIFE
As a reader of historical naval fiction,
Canadian Todd (for Canadians)

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm

O i thought this was about facebook. i'm not even gonna edit that out. me being an idiot all the time can live on. srry for shitting up the thread.
As a reader of historical naval fiction,
Canadian Todd (for Canadians)

Postby a long gush from your hole » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Esteban wrote:Foodman is p sick

yeah, although it's barely footwork

giant claw's dark web is similar but a *little* less abstract. both have shades of 0pn

speaking of which, that dj earl e.p. w/ lopatin is good
現実に打ちのめされ倒れそうになっても
きっと 前を見て歩くDream Fighter
a long gush from your hole

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....