Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby mission » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 am

Local television over here played a Who show - from the Isle of Wight Festival or some such. The Ox is in a skeleton suit, Townsend is in a white boiler suit, Moon is in a white t-shirt, terminal decline and heaps of layers of fat around his heart, Daltrey is all buckskin fringes and bare chests and whiteboy fros.

Anyway, Daltrey is so fucking lost, so ill-equipped and so uncomfortable through this show, it is utterly compelling.

There are endless passages of wankery, the guys just jamming off each other, man, where poor old Roger is rocking back and forth with his head down, mane covering his face, just waiting for some fucking music to happen. He tries to make it look like he is lost in the vibe, caught in a moment of utter transcendence, just waiting for that bit where all the planets align (or at least the fucking Moon does) and ROCK happens, but mainly he is just a lost bloke too brainless or cowardly to realise he doesn't really even like what he is doing.

He takes the occasional peek over at Townsend to try and figure out what the fuck is going on. What is going on is Moonie getting the head of his kickdrum changed so Pete is just fiddling about for an eternity, leaving Daltrey without even a tambourine to uselessly bang. Just out there.

The frontman with nothing to do.

Who else lets the team down from the front?

And, yeah, Jagger sucks now and probably always has. There is a reason that band's rhythm guitarist is the iconic distillation of all that we are often told rock music is. Jagger is a fucking comedy act in comparison. He's tinsel way past the point of self-parody and at some whole new level hitherto unmeasured. Meta-tinsel. A distraction at best.
Good.
mission

Postby Brevity » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:13 am

Chili Peppers would probably still suck w/o Kiedis but, like, not like THAT bad
Brevity

Postby Guffaw » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:36 am

mission wrote:Local television over here played a Who show - from the Isle of Wight Festival or some such. The Ox is in a skeleton suit, Townsend is in a white boiler suit, Moon is in a white t-shirt, terminal decline and heaps of layers of fat around his heart, Daltrey is all buckskin fringes and bare chests and whiteboy fros.

Anyway, Daltrey is so fucking lost, so ill-equipped and so uncomfortable through this show, it is utterly compelling.

There are endless passages of wankery, the guys just jamming off each other, man, where poor old Roger is rocking back and forth with his head down, mane covering his face, just waiting for some fucking music to happen. He tries to make it look like he is lost in the vibe, caught in a moment of utter transcendence, just waiting for that bit where all the planets align (or at least the fucking Moon does) and ROCK happens, but mainly he is just a lost bloke too brainless or cowardly to realise he doesn't really even like what he is doing.

He takes the occasional peek over at Townsend to try and figure out what the fuck is going on. What is going on is Moonie getting the head of his kickdrum changed so Pete is just fiddling about for an eternity, leaving Daltrey without even a tambourine to uselessly bang. Just out there.

The frontman with nothing to do.

Who else lets the team down from the front?

And, yeah, Jagger sucks now and probably always has. There is a reason that band's rhythm guitarist is the iconic distillation of all that we are often told rock music is. Jagger is a fucking comedy act in comparison. He's tinsel way past the point of self-parody and at some whole new level hitherto unmeasured. Meta-tinsel. A distraction at best.

shut up nerd
Guffaw

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:44 am

I think it'll be hard to list bands that don't have lousy frontpersons
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 am

Also Roger Dalrey is a racist Brexit dickhead

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:57 am

what? a band barely works without a good one? Idk, i mostly assess them through musical capability, i've a narrower criteria than op it sounds like.
furrowed brow

Postby Denise » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 am

No I think a band can go pretty far with a bad front man
Denise

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:31 am

I hate to say The Smiths but...
#weirdnight
FourLegsGood

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:32 am

i remember someone on here saying Doves were like Coldplay if they had a really boring frontman and it always stuck with me
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:32 am

unless you are talking about moz's racism, that is completely insane,imo
furrowed brow

Postby brent » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:37 am

i agree with daltrey

i love zeppelin, but i want to say plant is applicable here as well
brent

Postby DasLofGang » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 am

came in here to post zeppelin and ozzyless sabbath
it's da paaaaavemeeent
DasLofGang

Postby aububs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:48 am

dio is a good frontman
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby DasLofGang » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:48 am

I’ve tried, can’t do it
it's da paaaaavemeeent
DasLofGang

Postby aububs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:49 am

i can't really think of any bands i really like that have lousy frontpeople

can think of lots i don't like
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:57 am

how can you not love Mick Jagger
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression
Sports Fan of the Year

Postby mission » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 am

When Ian Brown captured the zeitgeist, it wasn’t blowing super hard.

Simian good looks. ‘Tude. Not much in the way of talent.
Good.
mission

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:01 am

furrowed brow wrote:unless you are talking about moz's racism, that is completely insane,imo

Obviously this it.
#weirdnight
FourLegsGood

Postby Cone » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 am

Brevity wrote:Chili Peppers would probably still suck w/o Kiedis but, like, not like THAT bad

Kiedis is like Ringo was to the Beatles in the way that he’s obviously the weak link in terms of musical talent but he brings a big part of the heart and soul of the band that just wouldn’t be the same without him.
Cone

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 am

FourLegsGood wrote:
furrowed brow wrote:unless you are talking about moz's racism, that is completely insane,imo

Obviously this it.

oh okay. it's hard for me to listen to a lot of his stuff these days. always liked Marr better even when i was low-key obsessed with moz.
furrowed brow

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:12 am

mission wrote:When Ian Brown captured the zeitgeist, it wasn’t blowing super hard.

Simian good looks. ‘Tude. Not much in the way of talent.

I can't remember if it was Totally or Rentboy but I wish I could find that paragraph where one of them was describing what made Ian Brown so cool until he opened his mouth

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby aububs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:12 am

skullflower just made the cut
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby snuggle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:13 am

Imo you have to play an instrument as a frontman otherwise you’re boring unless you beat yourself up, fall over a lot, confront the crowd ala iggy pop, David yow, GG
snuggle

Postby DasLofGang » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:14 am

The Rolling Stones with Rome
it's da paaaaavemeeent
DasLofGang

Postby Cone » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 am

snuggle wrote:Imo you have to play an instrument as a frontman otherwise you’re boring unless you beat yourself up, fall over a lot, confront the crowd ala iggy pop, David yow, GG

Does the harmonica count as an instrument?
Cone

Postby snuggle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 am

Cone wrote:
snuggle wrote:Imo you have to play an instrument as a frontman otherwise you’re boring unless you beat yourself up, fall over a lot, confront the crowd ala iggy pop, David yow, GG

Does the harmonica count as an instrument?

Yes, John Popper is an exceptional frontman
snuggle

Postby aububs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 am

i was just thinking the other day how much i hate harmonicas
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby gandhi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:28 am

Sports Fan of the Year wrote:how can you not love Mick Jagger

Yes the man had incredible moves
gandhi

Postby odilon redon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:30 am

beach boys duh
odilon redon

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 am

lol
furrowed brow

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....