Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Autarch » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:17 am

Fell down a wikipedia hole and ended up at the New York City Department of Sanitation page. What is with these outfits? Not sure if I love it or hate it but I'm pretty sure I love it just because actual people in the military and cops would probably hate it and consider it stolen valor or something. Also, I love that they wear green cuz that's the color of garbage/puke. Can we please honor these heroes?

Image Image

Image Image
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:20 am

militarize all garbage workers
Paul

Postby Autarch » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:25 am

can we please deck them out in medals and ribbons? i want them to get really cool and big medals for doing really easy stuff, so they get a lot of them and they can strut around with their superior medals in front of military people.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Autarch » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:27 am

i must admit, the latex gloves are a great touch for the dept of sanitation.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:34 am

Murphy, you've been assigned to the Spec Ops Trash Force
Paul

Postby new blood, » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 am

ahh shit i have been drafted and am going to war against the garbage
i was just going to suggest that maybe everybody should cool out maybe
new blood,
ok

Postby delgriffith » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:04 am

We've got our very own 4 star generals here on Hipinion:

shankly wrote:One of my college roommates used to get high and walk around north Philadelphia cleaning up trash. He called it "playing America"

pellegrino viking essays wrote:I was enamored with people who got to ride standing up on the back of a garbage truck in first and second grade. I'd wait every tuesday morning by the window for, according to my mom, 30 minutes to an hour after waking up just to see that cool motherfucker who go to ride around standing on the outside of a truck.

One day I asked my mom what you had to do to get to do that and she explained to me that he was actually getting paid money to do that and boy did that do it for me.

One day, a few weeks before school was going to start back, my om woke me up and asked if i wanted to go wait outside for the garbage man so I could say hi to him. It was honestly probably the happiest I had ever been. When they pulled up I just stuck my hand out to him for a high five and he gave me one. My mom explained what a fan I was of his and he talked to me for a couple of minutes. It was honestly like meeting Michael Jordan to me. I thought that guy was literally the coolest person on the planet.

pellegrino viking essays wrote:
Merciel wrote:I love that garbage truck story so much. Do you think your mom went to the garbage man before that and was like "hey, is it ok if my kid says hi to you?"

I wonder what he must have thought. I also wonder if they get that a lot from kids.

I just texted her to ask and she said

"yes i had dad talk to him the day before : )"
delgriffith

Postby new blood, » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 am

this thread is pure juche

edit: sorry these public servants rule and are only pure nyc gotta love it i honor them
Last edited by new blood, on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
new blood,
ok

Postby Cone » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 am

Cone

Postby an otter » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:36 am

new blood, wrote:ahh shit i have been drafted and am going to war against the garbage

hate that this is kinda real
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby RIXX » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:40 am

I've been meaning to find a thread to post this in and I don't think I'll get a better chance than this

NYC has launched a war against what they are calling "Fatbergs" and seeing pictures of this in ads while on the train makes me absolutely SICK'

actually it's not so much the ad itself, it's more that now, all throughout the day, I'm imagining huge slimy lurking fatbergs underneath my feet in the city

The words “fat” and “iceberg” are combined to describe a congealed mass of grease and personal hygiene products. Last month, workers had to remove one such clog from pipes in Jamaica, Queens.

New York City is dealing with a costly problem in the form of “fatbergs,” a combination of wipes, grease and other items that get clogged in the sewer system. (Photo: CBS2)

Workers in the United Kingdom found recently found one 210 feet long and a few years ago located one that was nearly 1,000 feet long. A fatberg of that size takes weeks to remove.

“And can cause backups of sewage. It can cause street flooding. So they are a problem, a growing problem,” Sapienza said.

Last year, almost 90 percent of the city’s sewer back-ups were caused by grease and wipes. That means there were more than 2,000 mini-fatbergs citywide.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02/20/fatberg-nyc-dep-baby-wipes-grease-flushed-down-toilet-sewers/
RIXX

Postby big zorb » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:47 am

RIXX wrote:I've been meaning to find a thread to post this in and I don't think I'll get a better chance than this

NYC has launched a war against what they are calling "Fatbergs" and seeing pictures of this in ads while on the train makes me absolutely SICK'

actually it's not so much the ad itself, it's more that now, all throughout the day, I'm imagining huge slimy lurking fatbergs underneath my feet in the city

The words “fat” and “iceberg” are combined to describe a congealed mass of grease and personal hygiene products. Last month, workers had to remove one such clog from pipes in Jamaica, Queens.

New York City is dealing with a costly problem in the form of “fatbergs,” a combination of wipes, grease and other items that get clogged in the sewer system. (Photo: CBS2)

Workers in the United Kingdom found recently found one 210 feet long and a few years ago located one that was nearly 1,000 feet long. A fatberg of that size takes weeks to remove.

“And can cause backups of sewage. It can cause street flooding. So they are a problem, a growing problem,” Sapienza said.

Last year, almost 90 percent of the city’s sewer back-ups were caused by grease and wipes. That means there were more than 2,000 mini-fatbergs citywide.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02/20/fatberg-nyc-dep-baby-wipes-grease-flushed-down-toilet-sewers/

i always forget about "fatbergs" and then every couple of years i encounter them again and they stick in my mind for a time. i read this stuff very recently.

last night i had a dream that i was reading a really boring and obviously fake "true scary story" on reddit about these people who were "left behind by the rest of humanity" and at the end the twist was that, actually, they were fatbergs and we were creating monsters with our garbage, and all of the comments were like "this story is FAKE." i got so bored by the dream i woke up and at 3 AM spent about 5 minutes being disappointed in the banality of my imagination. finally i decided that there was nothing i could do about it so i rolled over and went back to sleep, but i am definitely sensing a lingering melancholy this morning.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby delgriffith » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:48 am

One of the biggest fatbergs ever was excavated close to where I grew up in London. I'm glad NYC is going to war on the fatbergs, hopefully the ads do the job of grossing people out enough that they think twice before disposal!

Also if you want to continue being disgusted, the photo of a mangled mass of wet wipes on a mechanical rake in this story has haunted me for years: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/nyregion/the-wet-wipes-box-says-flush-but-the-new-york-city-sewer-system-says-dont.html
delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:50 am

The people who marketed "flushable wipes" have a lot to answer for.
delgriffith

Postby big zorb » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:51 am

i will not cross the thin green line
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 am

The War of the Wipes
heven’s full of merderers
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:58 am

Pee—Yew! Lives Matter
heven’s full of merderers
DasLofGang

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:11 am

What do they do with the extracted fatbergs? Dump them in the ocean?
Paul

Postby chairkicker » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 am

they bring them to me
chairkicker

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:23 am

Paul wrote:What do they do with the extracted fatbergs? Dump them in the ocean?

they recycle into scented candles
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Autarch » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:54 am

the workers need an insignia
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby blab » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:59 am

i respect and love sanitation workers. i will honor and salute them given the opportunity. any rank on that chart gets a salute from me.
blab

Postby blab » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 am

in the OP, the first 4-star's name is Capo

"Director Capo" or "General Superintendent Capo" has a nice ring to it
blab

Postby clouds » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 am

garbage men die at work more often than cops or fireman
clouds

Postby Autarch » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 am

blab wrote:in the OP, the first 4-star's name is Capo

"Director Capo" or "General Superintendent Capo" has a nice ring to it

i noticed that too!
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am

HEYYY IM SANITIZING HERE
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby new blood, » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:33 pm

I dare to make the NYC thread not about NYC BAN ME

on the octranspo they have ads for encouraging people not to pour oil and grease down the drain. But it says something like it costs the city 1 million dollars to clean

Like who cares if that's how much it costs than that's a fucking bargain

Show me pictures of animals dying and rivers run greasy I don't care about the numbers

The language is language idk I'll post later about that
new blood,
ok

Postby new blood, » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:35 pm

new blood,
ok

Postby trouble » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:39 pm

I'm gonna be the Yukio Mishima of the sanitation workers and try to form a coup. If they laugh at me I'll crush myself inside a trash compressor.
trouble
ride.

Postby Autarch » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:56 pm

we gucci now

Image Image
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....