What instrument did you play in music class at school?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby brittle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am

jewels wrote:
brittle wrote:Music people: music is important! let's introduce it to kids in fifth grade.

OK! i love it!!

music people: also, let's teach it to them exclusively on a limited selection of difficult instruments that nobody uses anymore!

uh, ok?

I had been playing the guitar (self taught) for like ten years the first time I used an actual Roland 808. I didn't really know anything about music or time signatures or anything. So many musical concepts clicked in five seconds of using the machine. I understood really obvious things really quickly about how music worked. I think this relates to what you're saying, maybe not.

anyway, I played trumpet and abandoned it after a year or so because I had an incredibly hard time reading music.

sorta.

i think it's good to teach anybody interested in music about scales and harmony and rhythm as early as possible.

it's just funny that they use instruments like trumpet and clarinet to do it. considering that nobody really plays those outside of school band (or if they're exceptionally talented, serious symphony stuff).

it seems kids who are interested in band should first get to learn piano cuz it's the most straightfoward way to teach and learn songs and music theory. then when they get a little older, they can take music classes and play songs and instruments that are more fun and contemporary. not that typical horns and woodwinds band shouldn't exist, it just shouldn't be the primary way of teaching kids music.
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby brittle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:54 am

imo.

i mean, i played trumpet from 5th to 9th grade and i didn't even learn the difference between a major and minor scale. we just practiced and memorized songs.

i picked up a guitar when i was 20 and in just a few weeks understood more about music than i did in 4 years of "being taught music".

then when i first sat down at a piano like 4 years later it was like, HOLY SHIT, THAT'S ALL IT IS!? why didn't somebody tell me!?
brittle

Postby WeirdJungle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:57 am

high school music classes should be replaced with a free copy of FLStudio and a MIDI drum pad
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WeirdJungle

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:00 am

My parents made me take recorder lessons so when we did the recorder concert I got to play a solo :ugeek:
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby brittle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:00 am

WeirdJungle wrote:high school music classes should be replaced with a free copy of FLStudio and a MIDI drum pad

when i first typed that out it said, "rock, rap, jazz, or electronic bands" but i edited to "fun and contemporary" to be extra inclusive.
brittle

Postby pantsoclock » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:02 am

Tried to start piano at age 8, but was so scared of not knowing everything and a perfectionist that I decided I was naturally incapable of doing it and successfully begged my parents to quit within a month.

My parents *required* that I play an instrument, so I said drums because my friend's cool older brother who liked Guns and Roses played drums and because duh drums are the fucking best. No, sorry, it has to be an *orchestra* instrument I was told. I picked saxophone because (my parents say) my other friend's dad played it, and I thought it was cool. Sax is marginally an "orchestra" instrument, and my mom was ready to veto it, but mom don't you love Ravel? He wrote pieces for sax, QED. So I played classical alto sax with 0 jazz instruction for 8 years and hated every fucking second of it.

At 16 I successfully lobbied to quit and play guitar. Within a year or so I realized I could feedback the output of effects pedals into their input and make squeaky noises and it was off to the noise artist races.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
pantsoclock

Postby alaska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Ides of Smarch wrote:alaska send me some cool snare solos

starts at 2:22
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby Marza » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:54 pm

brittle wrote:imo.

i mean, i played trumpet from 5th to 9th grade and i didn't even learn the difference between a major and minor scale. we just practiced and memorized songs.

i picked up a guitar when i was 20 and in just a few weeks understood more about music than i did in 4 years of "being taught music".

then when i first sat down at a piano like 4 years later it was like, HOLY SHIT, THAT'S ALL IT IS!? why didn't somebody tell me!?

this post makes me hopeful for some reason. maybe one day we'll understand how to teach people about music.
Marza

Postby Marza » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 pm

alaska wrote:
Ides of Smarch wrote:alaska send me some cool snare solos

starts at 2:22

aaah this is so good
Marza

Postby oomphull » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:06 pm

there was no instrument playing in my elementary classes except for a year of recorder. middle school had no instruments in class, but my mom said i had to do something musical and that guitar lessons were out of the question, so i could choose either band or chorus. i chose chorus because it was one day a week instead of 4 and i wanted time to play basketball. so i was the only guy in the middle school chorus for a while, and that was a bizarre experience. the instructor singled me out during a recital and i was furious about it. like i didn't already feel awkward enough as it was. there were tons of dudes in it the year older than me, how come no one in my grade wanted to sing?

then my mom came around and i started guitar lessons at 14. i only took a few, learned chords, but then had to stop because of basketball. i learned scales online. senior year of high school i took a class called "jazz/rock improvisation" and played the guitar.
hologram wrote:are you chuckling at all the giggle?
oomphull

Postby alaska » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 am

yeah evelyn glennie is the best

the wanky DCI stuff is fun enough but she's the real deal
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby Marza » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:29 am

I sang in my school's choir for 7 years, too. I tried to bail a few times but my teacher encouraged me to 'just come to one more practice' each time till I got over whatever thing that was making me want to quit. I'm super grateful for that, because choir ended up being one of the things I enjoyed the most and retain the most of from my time at school. I used to go to parties with choir friends and we'd all drunkenly sing barbershop tunes. We put on concerts and I still remember all the harmonies and lyrics.

I loved choir. I think I'm going to try and find a casual local one to join.
Marza

Postby terminus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 am

baritone. i fucking hated lugging that thing around, especially on the bus.

saw one of these while watching pen15 the other day and it gave me Feels
terminus

Postby separator » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 am

i am the bad boy of show choir
separator

Postby alaska » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:09 pm

singing in a choir is a fucking incredible feeling
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby WaltonGoggins » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:55 pm

that evelyn glennie snare solo is giving me PTSD
WaltonGoggins

Postby alaska » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:42 am

WaltonGoggins wrote:that evelyn glennie snare solo is giving me PTSD

im sorry. snare drums are very obnoxious
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....