What instrument did you play in music class at school?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Franco » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Trumpet. I can still smell the spit valve
Franco

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:05 pm

sadly the best thing i know how to play on recorder is the goddamn tomahawk chop
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Sobieski » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:09 pm

smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby fester » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:09 pm

I played alto saxophone thinking it was the cool one but it turned out the tenor was the one in all the cool 80s songs and I was pretty upset about choosing incorrectly.

On the day of our first major performance I decided I better oil my sax and it made all the tiny screws fall out and I tried to put it back together but couldn't get it to work and all it would do was squeak. I went through the whole performance just pretending to play. I was first chair. My parents were super proud and I never told them I wasn't really playing. I quit the instrument shortly after because it was still broken and I was too ashamed to ask anyone to help.

Yay
------------
fester

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 pm

the baritone saxophone i played was owned by the school and was just completely falling apart, multiple pieces held together with paperclips and all dented to hell.

band was honestly the most fun thing but it had nothing to do with music but because of the fact that you got out of other classes a ton with often minimal supervision.
light rail coyote

Postby WeirdJungle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 pm

In my required music class in high school we were asked to write and perform compositions as small groups, which was kind of a ridiculous request of general population students with no background in composition or performance. Within my group of five students I volunteered to play triangle, which seemed like a good call until the other group members handed me a bunch of sheet music they had written with like individual triangle hits every 37 bars or so. The experience pretty much convinced me I had no interest in music whatsoever.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WeirdJungle

Postby Damien Amadeus MetalWind » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 pm

My dad would only let me play the flute and I started off a year behind everyone but quickly got first chair. I got bored and switched to piccolo most of the time and wrote my own parts for marching/pep band and annoyed the shit out of everyone. Learned bass and tenor sax for jazz band, played bari and percussion sometimes. I was a total band nerd.
kid8 wrote:women should know when to go fucking home. or at least call it a night. the theatrics aren't helping niña.
Damien Amadeus MetalWind
ok

Postby Marza » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:26 pm

WeirdJungle wrote:In my required music class in high school we were asked to write and perform compositions as small groups, which was kind of a ridiculous request of general population students with no background in composition or performance. Within my group of five students I volunteered to play triangle, which seemed like a good call until the other group members handed me a bunch of sheet music they had written with like individual triangle hits every 37 bars or so. The experience pretty much convinced me I had no interest in music whatsoever.

my school had this as well. how many great tree-climbing fish musicians were lost to the ravages of the triangle.

and a triangle would actually be fine if our teacher had got a drum circle going or something, but no we split kids up into groups of 4 with every second group getting a kid that's about 6 months into learning an instrument.

such a bonkers choice.
Last edited by Marza on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marza

Postby doublethink0 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:27 pm

light rail coyote wrote:band was honestly the most fun thing but it had nothing to do with music but because of the fact that you got out of other classes a ton with often minimal supervision.

YES one time Mr G (our director) just let me and some friends chill for the afternoon in the storage room after helping set up the Christmas concert that morning
doublethink0

Postby mites » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 pm

bono vox
mites

Postby herbert greedy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:35 pm

my high school had this aural competency test that they had everyone take, and then they assigned us instruments based on our score. they said they had to do this because so many kids wanted to play the saxophone. i got oboe
herbert greedy

Postby axelrod gunnarson » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 pm

French horn. Fucking terrible at it. I quit after like 2 years. I quit a lot of stuff that cost my parents money. It's a miracle they still love me.
axelrod gunnarson
ok

Postby dvr » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:58 pm

4th grade-Trumpet
5th grade-Percussion

Then I quit and started kit drum (and can't believe my family put up with it for so many years)
dvr

Postby brittle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:02 pm

trumpet.

can't rember anything but C and D though.
brittle

Postby loaf angel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:03 pm

saxophone
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby brittle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:05 pm

Music people: music is important! let's introduce it to kids in fifth grade.

OK! i love it!!

music people: also, let's teach it to them exclusively on a limited selection of difficult instruments that nobody uses anymore!

uh, ok?
brittle

Postby dvr » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:07 pm

My 5th grade big end of year recital was a disaster. We practiced for weeks and weeks. Then the whole band went to the local high school auditorium. The percussion instructor couldn't make it that night, but whatever, we had it down solid. Then we all started playing together but our instructor also had never told us the order of the songs to play. So for 30 minutes I just banged away at the bass drum having no idea what song we were on. The snare drummers and cymbal crashers flailed similarly.
dvr

Postby milano boy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:02 am

saxophone for 7 years. was so fucking bad and hated it so much that i just pantomimed playing for like all of my junior and senior year of high school.
milano boy

Postby evil olive » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 am

Trombone. Grade 6 - 10.

I chose it because I figured it would be easier to remember the notes than trying to put your fingers on keys like a sax or something. That and the mouthpiece was bigger than the trumpet so it was easier.

When 3rd wave ska hit i felt pretty, pretty, pretty cool.
listen,
evil olive

Postby abs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:48 am

I transferred into a middle school with a music requirement after not having one so all the kids in my class were 1.5 years into an instrument.

I picked the drums and was the only girl and learned very little but my reputation as an outsider at that school was established.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Catullus » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:05 am

I took piano lessons for a year at school but the teacher was mean and I just could not get left hand shit so I figured I was going nowhere.

In school band I did flute. I wasn't terrible, but I really am not a music person. I had a nice used flute and I liked it a lot. I still played around with it for a while in middle and high school but I was nowhere good enough to play in the school orchestra. My friend that was in said orchestra is now a professional violinist who toured with Adele and was in Rod Stewart's in house band and has toured the world in various orchestras and groups.

Like, I have friends that were all so much better than me at every single thing I enjoyed or did, and I could have been jealous I guess but I'm more in awe and proud to have known people so talented that they've managed to find career in the arts etc and do such amazing things. I mean, I love Speech and Debate and turned that into a decent career so I do have my own talents but still.
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby Welcome 2 Cyberspace » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 am

I forgot I auditioned for an arts school for both visual art and music

Got laughed out for my piano audition
Welcome 2 Cyberspace

Postby alaska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 am

i was the drumline section leader my senior year of high school 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby alaska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 am

it was a bad gig
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby alaska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 am

i really wish i could play the fucking clarinet or FLUTE or violaaaaaaaa
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby brent » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 am

initially started on clarinet in 5th grade but switched to string bass the following year and was in orchestra until i graduated. early on i was really into it, practiced constantly, even went to a couple of 'string summer camps' with likeminded nerds. by 9th grade i was bored with the instrument and had a discussion with my teacher about switching to cello, but he convinced me to stay with bass. he was a good teacher but i'm sure he saw my descent into full time stoner outcast around that time and figured it would be way too much work to get to a good playing level with a new instrument

still have a soft spot for cello and kinda regret not learning it at the time
brent

Postby jewels » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 am

brittle wrote:Music people: music is important! let's introduce it to kids in fifth grade.

OK! i love it!!

music people: also, let's teach it to them exclusively on a limited selection of difficult instruments that nobody uses anymore!

uh, ok?

I had been playing the guitar (self taught) for like ten years the first time I used an actual Roland 808. I didn't really know anything about music or time signatures or anything. So many musical concepts clicked in five seconds of using the machine. I understood really obvious things really quickly about how music worked. I think this relates to what you're saying, maybe not.

anyway, I played trumpet and abandoned it after a year or so because I had an incredibly hard time reading music.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby Ides of Smarch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:39 am

alaska send me some cool snare solos
Ides of Smarch

Postby blurst of times » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 am

i played drums in the marching band from 5th-10th grade. my last year, i made snare. i felt like i'd peaked, so i quit.

i also took a guitar class our hs offered my senior year. we only learned a few songs (starting with "country roads," obv) and mostly watched movies the rest of the time. it was p chill
blurst of times
ride.

Postby Jeremy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:27 am

Jeremy

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....