We'll kick your ass in

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Happens every postseason
That Demon Life

Postby separator » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:57 pm

what the hell he just poked him straight in the face
separator

Postby Curling » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:59 pm

The MN Gopher perfect storm of flaming out is upon us. Step 1? St. Mary’s WCC win. Step 2? Either IU/tOSU getting a bump when one of them wins their opener. Step 3? Lose to PSU tonight.

... cue Pitino being fired, no recruits for two years (and there’s some studs in play for 2020) and we’re in rebuild mode for another 4 years.

... and my season ticket renewal form shows up 2 weeks later. :roll:
Curling

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:12 pm

I genuinely think Penn State is better than Minnesota, records be damned.
That Demon Life

Postby goldsoundz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 pm

penn state started 0-10 somehow but won 7 of their last 10. they're definitely better
goldsoundz

Postby big zorb » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:16 pm

iowa state is gonna freakin WIN
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby hoopdog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:32 pm

That Demon Life wrote:Fuck Virginia and their horrible anti-basketball. There's a reason they never win much in the tournament. Their whole system falls apart when team give full effort every possession.

Generally I agree with this analysis but this UVA team actually has an offense with a pulse this year

Still, better hope they don't have to play Duke again this season
hoopdog
ride.

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm

hoopdog wrote:
That Demon Life wrote:Fuck Virginia and their horrible anti-basketball. There's a reason they never win much in the tournament. Their whole system falls apart when team give full effort every possession.

Generally I agree with this analysis but this UVA team actually has an offense with a pulse this year

Still, better hope they don't have to play Duke again this season

Yeah they've definitely been better and I think they have their best shot yet, at least. They're remarkably efficient offensively.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm

goldsoundz wrote:penn state started 0-10 somehow but won 7 of their last 10. they're definitely better

They just demolished my Terps a few games back.
That Demon Life

Postby razzle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Heading to Big 10 Tournament. Riding Penn State to the finals baby
At least we have Hamilton
razzle
ok

Postby goldsoundz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 pm

they also beat virginia tech and michigan and had one in hand against purdue that they gagged away
goldsoundz

Postby feral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Their system has nothing to do with the fact that they havent made it to the Final Four. Any potential cause attributable to "their system", whatever that even means, would also cause them to lose more often in the ACC, one of the two best conferences in the country. But they are the best ACC team over the past 6 years.

Their lack of tournament success has less to do with their offensive or defensive schemes, and more to do with an unwillingness to adjust strategies. Tony has done better with that this year. We'll see if he keeps it up.
philosophy isny jut navel gazing about "life"
feral

Postby feral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:46 pm

I will say that limiting the number of possessions in a game does increase the odds that a less talented team will beat them. But, if you look at their history in the tournament over the last six years, none of their losses can be attributed to that. UMBC was just lights out last year from everywhere, against good defense. It would have been hard for any team to overcome that.
feral

Postby feral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:52 pm

I also dont know how you could watch UVA do things like shoot 18 of 25 from 3 and hold teams to 20 points in a half and call it "horrible anti-basketball", but there's no accounting for taste.
feral

Postby milknight » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:54 pm

actually all college basketball is horrible anti-basketball
milknight

Postby feral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:55 pm

That's true.
feral

Postby the scofflaw » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:04 pm

so many conference 1-seeds lost their conference tournament, just thinking about how the tournament winner gets the AQ over the regular season champ
A novel by Chuck Palahniuk.
the scofflaw

Postby deebster » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:09 pm

That Demon Life wrote:
goldsoundz wrote:penn state started 0-10 somehow but won 7 of their last 10. they're definitely better

They just demolished my Terps a few games back.

they beat the Illini a couple weeks back and I wasn't even mad
deebster

Postby Curling » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:34 pm

There are few bigger Gopher hoops die-hards on the planet than me.

And if you don’t pick Penn State to win tonight you are dumb.
Curling

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:38 pm

feral wrote:

Their system has nothing to do with the fact that they havent made it to the Final Four. Any potential cause attributable to "their system", whatever that even means, would also cause them to lose more often in the ACC, one of the two best conferences in the country. But they are the best ACC team over the past 6 years.

Their lack of tournament success has less to do with their offensive or defensive schemes, and more to do with an unwillingness to adjust strategies. Tony has done better with that this year. We'll see if he keeps it up.

This is simply untrue. It's similar to those Thibs teams that dominated the regular season. But whatever.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:39 pm

milknight wrote:actually all college basketball is horrible anti-basketball

Yeah this is probably true.

I'm not even criticizing Virginia btw. It works until talent mixed with effort win out. Maryland plays garbage basketball and doesn't even win anything, so you have us beat.
That Demon Life

Postby feral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:42 pm

That Demon Life wrote:
feral wrote:

This is simply untrue. It's similar to those Thibs teams that dominated the regular season. But whatever.

That's not a counterargument. I am open to being wrong.
feral

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Their system is limited possession, defensive ball-hawking at it works over a long period because teams simply can't get up for every game. It doesn't work as well when every team gives max effort every possession when you're doing it with severely deficient talent compared to the other elites. That said, Hunter changes that this year to an extent.

I'm too drunk for this discussion, tbh.

And UMBC was an aberration and I don't attribute that loss to what I'm saying at all. They couldn't miss and Virginia couldn't make anything.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02 pm

It's absolutely hilarious that this late in the season, Maryland has no idea what to do against a zone.
That Demon Life

Postby feral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:08 pm

That Demon Life wrote:Their system is limited possession, defensive ball-hawking at it works over a long period because teams simply can't get up for every game. It doesn't work as well when every team gives max effort every possession when you're doing it with severely deficient talent compared to the other elites. That said, Hunter changes that this year to an extent.

I'm too drunk for this discussion, tbh.

And UMBC was an aberration and I don't attribute that loss to what I'm saying at all. They couldn't miss and Virginia couldn't make anything.

I think one of your premises is wrong: they havent had deficient talent in a few years, except compared to the top recruiting teams in the country. And I think the claim that their defensive scheme doesn't work as well when teams are giving max effort is a tautology; no team's defensive scheme will work as well in such conditions. So unless there's something about the pack line which means that it fares even worse than other schemes, this wont explain their tournament losses.

We dont have to get into the details, if you're drunk, but I still attribute the bad tournament losses (Syracuse 2016, UMBC) to coaching mistakes and bad preparation. I think the scheme is blameless. In fact, I think those bad losses are better explained by the team giving up on the system during the game. For example, they let Syracuse speed up their offense unnecessarily rather than continuing to play their deliberate offensive scheme.
feral

Postby feral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:10 pm

It's also just really hard to win in the tournament, and I dont think its surprising that any given team hasn't made it to the final four when they had, maybe, 3 teams with final four potential. Look at Wright's Villanova teams before they made it.
feral

Postby jewels » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Virginia basketball is tearing this board apart
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby feral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:18 pm

I thought we were being pretty civil...
feral

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:20 pm

feral wrote:I thought we were being pretty civil...

Absolutely.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm

I'm sorry, I just don't have the energy to express what I want to say, but I only agree with about half of that. That said, I'm probably just hating because we're stuck in Turgeatory.
That Demon Life

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....