Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby hoopdog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Esteban wrote:very comprehensive break down on how this alt right rebrand happened out in the open

These grifters & opportunists have blood on their hands flat out

I think a lot about how generic justified his gamergate thread by mentioning it was "documenting the rise of a new reactionary right" and man he wasn't wrong huh
hoopdog
ride.

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:37 pm

gamergate always reminded me why i'd mute chatting whenever i'd play online with people i didn't know.
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:42 pm

yeah i never played any multiplayer stuff other than DkS but the few times i saw my brother playing FPS games I was like :I
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby harry mason » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:48 pm

this is all so bleak

guy forget wrote:
Esteban wrote:very comprehensive break down on how this alt right rebrand happened out in the open

is there a good method of sending this to people who don't use twitter

this is a good explanation of the gamergate thing plus how these people think
harry mason

Postby Cronos » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:50 pm

hoopdog wrote:

I think a lot about how generic justified his gamergate thread by mentioning it was "documenting the rise of a new reactionary right" and man he wasn't wrong huh

Yep this is like one of those things where we saw everything happening in real time from the beginning and just couldnt stop it.
Cronos

Postby hyperbole man » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 pm

so distraught and sad over this. and in some ways having trouble even holding together in my mind all of the implications that many are insightfully pointing to in this thread, from the history of online white supremacism in recent years to the fact that yeah, this is going to keep happening and get worse. it all feels so crushing to contemplate.
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby mites » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:30 pm

this is so awful

I am so angry and upset. this is a completely foreseeable outcome from the outset of imperialism and orientalism, to the collapse of empire which purposefully cut off non-white nation-states at the fucking knees for white capitalist interests and then the systemic development issues that followed creating desperation and reactionary movements while the 'west' praises itself as the gift to the world that it is actively destroying.

like absolutely fuck everyone who has ever legitimized stuff such as the clash of civilizations, all of american/'western' media for propping up islamophobia, all the former white colonies of the british empire and most of fucking europe. we're killing muslims with bombs all across the planet, creating absolute chaos, then attacking muslim people as being 'inherently' drawn to dictatorships and autocracies as a means of continuing our cruelty and defending israel, pushing away refugees that all of this creates, acting shocked when all this deprivation and violence is met with anger, and enabling white supremacists to commit individual acts of genocide in order to defend gun ownership principles which themselves were built on frontier myths, manifest destiny and the genocide of first peoples across the globe.

FUCK THIS. I hate our fucking president, I hate the GOP, I hate every white nationalist leader and party across the fucking planet.
mites

Postby mutism » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm

it is very upsetting seeing so much of the discussion is about a youtuber when 49 people are dead

hard to come to terms with this. my gf and her family are from chch and just yesterday i was planning a holiday there. jfc. it is a place wracked by the earthquakes. the muslim community in chch was famously generous and supportive during the recovery. chch has a lot of problems but at its heart it is good. just so heartbreaking
mutism

Postby pzadvance » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:45 pm

https://www.launchgood.com/project/support_for_the_families__victims_of_the_new_zealand_mosque_shootings#!/

seemingly good way to donate to the families and those directly affected
pzadvance

Postby coop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:59 pm

:(
coop

Postby Durham » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Nearly burst into tears seeing that in public
Durham

Postby Durham » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:02 pm

These replies and the original Serwer tweet are good

Durham

Postby fester » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:15 pm

here's a fun thread

even frank luntz jumps in on him
------------
fester

Postby Bartatua » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:00 pm

i do not recommend reading the comments there
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby antoine » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Living in a world like this is becoming pretty intolerable
antoine

Postby Grumby » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:03 pm

antoine wrote:Living in a world like this is becoming pretty intolerable

the toxic feeling pervades everything now
Grumby

Postby worrywort » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 pm

those Talal Ansari & gamergate threads are both so on point
worrywort

Postby marble » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:21 pm

fester wrote:

here's a fun thread

even frank luntz jumps in on him

this bullshit seems to be the way the righties attempt to distance themselves from being complicit

this fucker is a right wing radio commentator here in NZ and is deflecting in a similar manner. people ripping the shit of him in the comments is satisfying at least

marble

Postby antoine » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Can't everyone just agree to get rid of Twitter and go back to shitty message boards where people only yell at each other 50-60% of the time instead of 99.9% of the time.
antoine

Postby Shotfrog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Shotfrog

Postby Christmas Ape » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:57 pm

Jacinda Ardern confirmed in a press conference this morning that the gaps in the laws around firearms will absolutely change, and I would be pretty confident she has the votes in the house to do it.

If the opposition equivocate (some will) then they deserve to have it used as a wedge issue and be completely hammered, give nothing to them and their snivelling media enablers
Christmas Ape

Postby Christmas Ape » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:00 pm

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/16-03-2019/the-atrocity-profits/

My old boss/ongoing sometime editor this morning, really good

It’s far from the first time this has happened: in 2017 a 74 year old Cleveland man was murdered live on the internet. A Facebook spokesperson said afterwards “this is a horrific crime and we do not allow this kind of content on Facebook.”

That same year though, Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg said “we don’t check what people say before they say it, and frankly, I don’t think society should want us to.” It reflects his and his company’s fundamental worldview: that information wants to be free, and the benefits outweigh the costs.

Nearly two years have passed since Cleveland, and whatever steps Facebook may have taken to prevent such an incident from occuring again, they didn’t stop this. As the Human Rights Commission’s Ryan Mearns pointed out, publication of the video for news organisations may well be illegal. Yet no statute I am aware of will impact either of the tech giants.

This is because of a foundational protection in law for platforms known colloquially as ‘safe harbour’. Put simply it means that tech platforms which publish text, audio and video are exempted or significantly protected from the likes of defamation, copyright violation, hate speech and other law which covers both news organisations and the public at large.

These laws were passed in the mid-’90s, before social media, before surveillance capitalism, before we knew what it was we were creating. And now, a quarter century on, with the world redically reconfigured by these companies, the law remains largely as it was.

It’s impossible to know how to weigh the different forces acting on the terrorist at the centre of this atrocity. Yet it is already clear that a desire for recognition and for his actions to be not just known but viewed around the world were part of the matrix of decision-making which drove him. The New York Times headlined an opinion piece ‘The New Zealand Massacre Was Made to Go Viral’, writing that “the killer wanted the world’s attention, and by committing an act of mass terror, he was able to get it.” We’ll never know whether access to hate forums and the ability to stream his actions pushed him over the edge, but it was manifestly in his mind.
Christmas Ape

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:02 pm

wow, hearing that there's a civil response to this sort of thing makes me even more depressed about how it would never happen in America, not to take anything off of NZ and the people there. What a fucking horrible day.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Link » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:The Internet is destroying society. You can't put that cat back in the bag. Only gonna get worse.

I hang out in lots of nerdy parts of the Internet and there's a ton of people aggressively getting defensive about this today.

Like, maybe one could think this is so bad that it might shock some impressionable people out of being radicalized for a few seconds, but they seemed fucking rallied by it and ready to rumble with anyone who wants to blame anything and anyone but the individual shooter. They're churning out memes to mock the whole situation.

I'm closing the door for good on a lot of communities and people that I thought would eventually grow out of this. They might never do so, it's a big part of their identity now and calling them out on it emboldens them and gives them a feeling of purpose like they're engaging in a meaningful fight against the PC police or something. This is something a lot of you figured out a long time ago and I was a fool not to listen.
Link

Postby odilon redon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm

the internet and social media are easy and powerful outlets for broken people to comfortably drift away from reality into their own self-reinforcing delusional echo chambers shaped by resentment and all the other ugly human traits whose outward appearances were heretofor rooted out by public shaming and ridicule. this kind of thing is absolutley going to happen more and more from here on out because there’s certainly no present shortage of broken people with internet access
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby silverapples » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:12 pm

warmhouse wrote:As an aside from what happened today, I know it's horrible what Anning said, and how complicit Morrison is in this horror, but if it's any consolation:

a) Bill Shorten will be the Prime Minister in May 2019. Is Bill perfect? No. Is he a Nazi sympathiser? No! But Morrison and that entire fucking toilet he calls a government is on its way out.

b) nineteen people voted for Fraser Anning. Blame the senate voting system, if anything. He's a piece of shit that should have never been given a stepladder to speak on. Only Nazis agree with what he says. No-one else does.

These people dont speak for us. They are the minority.

None of this should be a consolation. The labor party have plenty of blood on their hands. They have taken turns with the lnp to administer a border regime which denies asylum seekers basic human rights and treats them like criminals. A border regime set up by Howard under the pretense that all brown people coming to Australia by boat were terrorists until they could prove that they were not. Shortens government will likely keep this up.

Its this kind of shit which is mainstream, hardly ever out of the headlines, that creates an environment for white supremacy to thrive, and both parties play it and benefit from it to different degrees.
im lookin to collect based energy from the plants and animals around me. im lookin to go into nature and then just absorb all the good feelings of life. im lookin to catch a body.
silverapples

Postby antoine » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:18 pm

odilon redon wrote:the internet and social media are easy and powerful outlets for broken people to comfortably drift away from reality into their own self-reinforcing delusional echo chambers shaped by resentment and all the other ugly human traits whose outward appearances were heretofor rooted out by public shaming and ridicule. this kind of thing is absolutley going to happen more and more from here on out because there’s certainly no present shortage of broken people with internet access

I agree but I wouldn't say it's just "broken people" engaging with social media this way. Anyone who spends a lot of time online probably does this to some degree whether they realize it or not. The internet is literally fucking with our brains.
antoine

Postby odilon redon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:30 pm

antoine wrote:
odilon redon wrote:the internet and social media are easy and powerful outlets for broken people to comfortably drift away from reality into their own self-reinforcing delusional echo chambers shaped by resentment and all the other ugly human traits whose outward appearances were heretofor rooted out by public shaming and ridicule. this kind of thing is absolutley going to happen more and more from here on out because there’s certainly no present shortage of broken people with internet access

I agree but I wouldn't say it's just "broken people" engaging with social media this way. Anyone who spends a lot of time online probably does this to some degree whether they realize it or not. The internet is literally fucking with our brains.

yeah it’s not an uncommon phenomenon! this is that taken to the extreme, but it’s seemingly becoming easier everyday for online culture to facilitate reaching that extreme
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby mercenaries of slime » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:40 pm

this is heartbreaking

mercenaries of slime

Postby mercenaries of slime » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm

also fuck this shit

mercenaries of slime

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....