The Righteous Gemstones (HBO) (McBride/Goodman/Goggins)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Is SGP Wrong?

No he's correct Adam Devine is an abomination
6%
Yes, Adam Devine is usually annoying but he's perfect for this role
70%
Gimme more Devine! All Devine all day!
24%

Total votes : 99

Postby warmjets » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 am

the whole piggly wiggly scene was incredible

warmjets

Postby Durham » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 am

warmjets wrote:the whole piggly wiggly scene was incredible

The kid laying a hand on BJ’s head

Durham

Postby concerning » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 am

caught up w the last two last night and they were hands down the funniest episodes yet.

"hand over the LaCie Rugged Drive"

"singing and dancing at church has changed you"

concerning

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 am

I don't know how much I really like Bajillion Dollar Properties but Tim Baltz is easily the best part of that show and I'm so happy that BJ is essentially the same character.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby trouble » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 am

Considering I troll-voted "adam devine is an abomination" and the other vote is likely from SGP himself a real moment of board solidarity for the Ad-man.
Now exclusively in Bland Mode.

trouble
Site Admin

Postby Paul » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:52 am

trouble wrote:Considering I troll-voted "adam devine is an abomination" and the other vote is likely from SGP himself a real moment of board solidarity for the Ad-man.

You've ruined the poll
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby trouble » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:54 am

i ruin every poll. i don't respect them.
Now exclusively in Bland Mode.

trouble
Site Admin

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:41 pm

i voted for gimme more devine

simply love not laughing

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:41 pm

he is doing nothing with this role and should be shot and murdered

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby warmjets » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:42 pm

God shut up

warmjets

Postby hoopdog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:48 pm

this episode went straight southern gothic

love amber dressed in leopard print shooting jesse in his sorta zebra print shirt

poor keefe :(

hoopdog
Site Admin

Postby Shotfrog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm

hoopdog wrote:love amber dressed in leopard print shooting jesse in his sorta zebra print shirt

don don

Shotfrog

Postby Lucky » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:59 pm

"LaCie rugged drive" and "Now Mr Walters here has been waiting patiently to try on a pair of transitional lenses, if you'll excuse me.." were great.

And Jesse pushing Judy and Kelvin away and then tough-walking through the fountain
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby Lowercase Tea » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:27 pm

delgriffith wrote:Image

For the new page.
Lowercase Tea

Postby quinine » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 pm

Lucky wrote:And Jesse pushing Judy and Kelvin away and then tough-walking through the fountain

this would have been hilarious if they hadn't spoiled it in like the last three next ep teasers

I don't really like the direction they're taking the plot as they wrap up this season. the gemstones are not the good guys :|
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:47 pm

quinine wrote:
Lucky wrote:And Jesse pushing Judy and Kelvin away and then tough-walking through the fountain

this would have been hilarious if they hadn't spoiled it in like the last three next ep teasers

I don't really like the direction they're taking the plot as they wrap up this season. the gemstones are not the good guys :|

This is kind of the McBrideverse's whole deal though
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Lucky » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Oh I didn't see any of the post-ep trailers so there ya go
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby quinine » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 pm

yeah I guess if it wasn't clear from my earlier posts I'm not really familiar with themcbrideverse. mythologizing petty tyrants like minor-league baseball stars or high school principals doesn't really bother me, but megachurch preachers are actual legit evil incarnate and it'll be pretty disappointing if the only significant media to touch the topic ends up soft-shoeing all the critique. it seems like they're setting it up for baby billy to be the bad guy because of his total cynicism, while the core family gets a redemptive arc thanks to their genuine love for each other shining thru or whatever, while in reality people like this probably do genuinely love their family/clan, and that still doesn't make them good people

still some hope the whole family will die in a massive fireball and sweet keefe shall inherit the earth in the finale I guess

quinine
ok

Postby warmjets » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:43 pm

I mean if you're looking for a takedown of megachurchs then watch last week tonight or some shit

warmjets

Postby Barthes Starr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:52 pm

the righteous gemstomes offers a stronger critique of capitalism than last week tonight tbh

Barthes Starr

Postby gskrap » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:13 pm

megachurch preachers are... bad?

forget this this shit is cancelled

gskrap

Postby bruceagain » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 am

quinine wrote:yeah I guess if it wasn't clear from my earlier posts I'm not really familiar with themcbrideverse. mythologizing petty tyrants like minor-league baseball stars or high school principals doesn't really bother me, but megachurch preachers are actual legit evil incarnate and it'll be pretty disappointing if the only significant media to touch the topic ends up soft-shoeing all the critique. it seems like they're setting it up for baby billy to be the bad guy because of his total cynicism, while the core family gets a redemptive arc thanks to their genuine love for each other shining thru or whatever, while in reality people like this probably do genuinely love their family/clan, and that still doesn't make them good people

still some hope the whole family will die in a massive fireball and sweet keefe shall inherit the earth in the finale I guess

think you might be missing the boat on that one
it's not redemption, they're all really crappy people the whole way through and in the end everything will work out just fine for them via the same structural forces that allowed them success to begin with
it's a satire of american individualism and it basically depends on the protagonists never having to suffer real consequences
that's why it's so funny that jesse's idea of coming clean involves dragging down his entourage who don't have anything like the same level of security
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby bruceagain » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 am

the shows would lose their critique of how american base and superstructure maintain eachother if there were actual consequences for kenny powers et al
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby quinine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:24 am

yeah I guess I should caveat my critique is based on my suspicion of where it looks like the finale is headed, maybe I need to have more faith. I'm not sure I see your read of "how american base and superstructure maintain each other" considering we see almost nothing of the actual relationship with the congregation/fandom that sustains them, but maybe I don't understand what you mean by that. the satire felt more effective when in was working with actual adversaries in the early eps about pushing out the local churches, the "our enemy was not having enough love for our children" theme that it's been dwelling on just feels like a less interesting thing to do with the premise

quinine
ok

Postby pana » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 am

Barthes Starr wrote:
Robo-Chachi wrote:This show is like a McBride and Hill parody of Succession.

i finally started watching this last night and was high enough to write "gemstones and succession are the same show" in a note on my phone and then forgot i wrote that until right now when i opened this thread lmao

the crossover begins.. on james corden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D9CBvePS3Q
(don't watch it. unless you wanna see devine make kieran break character)

pana

Postby VHGisdead » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:16 pm

thanks in advance to the boarder who dr0pbauxe$ this the fastest tonight!!!!!!!!
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby Durham » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:52 pm

Decided to rewatch last weeks in preparation and two details I missed the first time were the bald shrimp dick’s daughters having boxed theatre candy while watching the fuck tape and Keefe driving a Geo Tracker

Durham

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:01 pm

judy is so crass
Ferrous Bueller

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Keefe is the best character ever, my god.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:06 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:judy is so crass

Leaving "slug trails" on the chair.
That whole Outback Steakhouse scene was incredible.
I liked Vice Principals but Righteous Gemstones is the worthy followup to Eastbound and Down.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....