Fruitless attempts at being cool in your childhood

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby slime » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:49 am

One time in like 6th grade the coolest boy (who used to bully me in earlier grades) for some reason was having a conversation about toothpaste with some other kids and i happened to be nearby. He turned to me and asked “what brand toothpaste do you use?” and i was so caught off guard and scared of naming something uncool that i blurted out “i don’t even use toothpaste”, with a tone like that was edgy and devil may care

slime

Postby slime » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 am

Around the same time my dad took me out to get new shoes and for some reason i decided i liked these black lace-up boots with a bit of a heel. I thought i would look real badass. I think they were from the women’s section, but i didn’t realize it. At school kids were like “why are you wearing those?” to which i had no answer. Everyone else wore skater shoes. These boots also made me even worse at soccer, which in europe is the cool sport.

slime

Postby A-Ok » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:18 am

Eyeball Kid wrote:
crime wrote:diamondbacks had the same 90s purple/teal, but with fake arizona ice tea native flair. i didn't know it was widespread.

The NBA's "cool" factor certainly helped, but it had to be the color scheme. The Hornets had some pretty good teams in the 90s, but nothing to push it to near-Jordan-era Bulls levels of fashionableness.

You also had the grandma-ma commercials and him and steve urkel beating eddie Winslow and some ringer in the 2 on 2 tournament on family matters. But for the most part the starter jackets were the coolest and the colors were nice.
what you say goes and your sight beats everyone elses.

A-Ok

Postby Stuntman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 pm

In the summer of 1999 I was 12 years old and still not allowed to watch MTV. The Tom Green Show was at peak popularity but I had never actually seen an episode.

I was at my grandpa’s cottage hanging out with my cousin and his friends who were one year older and they were all doing Tom Green impressions and singing The Bum Bum Song and laughing. In an effort to fit in, I tried singing the show’s intro song which I had only heard from other kids. Everyone pretty much stopped what they were doing to stare at me in disappointment. In the most condescending tone imaginable my cousin said “That’s not even how it goes.”

I’m going to guess that they then immediately went back to doing Tom Green impressions but I wouldn’t know because I had been so deeply wounded and ran to my room to sulk and listen to music alone (probably Weird Al given the year).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Stuntman

Previous

Return to Aguachile Alley