Slay the Spire thread

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby broodstar » Sun May 24, 2020 4:37 pm

alright the last class seems like some bonkers shit

starting unit can just 1v1 bosses and has tons of ways to freely increase deploy slots

broodstar

Postby broodstar » Wed May 27, 2020 9:52 pm

looks like jorbs and a handful of others are really getting into monster train

he's also listening to bon iver - for emma, forever ago

my favorite faction is umbra. i've been playing a lot of the endless one but objectively it's probably average. hellhorned/plant seem good and the spell class still friggin sux. my subclass is generally always preferred to be plant because it has generally useful units and enhancement spells

broodstar

Postby lil bro » Wed May 27, 2020 10:07 pm

This game is so much more nutty than I gave it credit for. I did the stupid thing of x5 copying some big sea lady with a large stone/incant armor but then got the artifact that automatically spawned 4 units on my middle floor and I regularly had like 600 HP and 200 damage on the train without even playing a card. Then I got the ascend a unit card and copied it and put the rest of the sea ladies up there. I hope there isn’t an achievement for perfecting a run because I only took 10 damage on the final fight when I got cocky and ascended an enemy to the third floor without being able to kill him. Very cool game!
frig

lil bro

Postby grass tacks » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:06 pm

grass tacks

Postby Legion » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:19 pm

lil bro wrote:This game is so much more nutty than I gave it credit for. I did the stupid thing of x5 copying some big sea lady with a large stone/incant armor but then got the artifact that automatically spawned 4 units on my middle floor and I regularly had like 600 HP and 200 damage on the train without even playing a card. Then I got the ascend a unit card and copied it and put the rest of the sea ladies up there. I hope there isn’t an achievement for perfecting a run because I only took 10 damage on the final fight when I got cocky and ascended an enemy to the third floor without being able to kill him. Very cool game!

Returned to this thread on the last page and started here.

Didn't realize you were talking about another game; thought Slay had made a big update or there were massive depths of strategic considerations that I hadn't even encountered.

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.

Legion

Postby Zurich » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Beat the heart for the first time earlier this week, felt good man

A3 defect, incredible frost run, ice cream, and calipers. Block up to 600 something on the resurrection dog. The heart kept me hovering around 100.

I'm suck on A5 ironclad but finally beat A3 silent yesterday. Lucky ass run, should have died many times.

Zurich

Postby broodstar » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:01 pm

not sure whether the game automatically vomiting out 5 of your strongest cards from the deck on the same floor because you highrolled an artifact and an event is strategic depth

broodstar

Postby manvstrees » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:57 pm

all these probably outstanding games with a fucking hearthstone look and font and i'm just never gonna touchem
hideous
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby broodstar » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:14 pm

pretty sure its just a symptom of unityware

broodstar

Postby oblivious fool » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 am

grass tacks wrote:out now on ios https://apple.co/2YtZdvG

Thank you!! This game is.... addicting :twisted:

oblivious fool

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:29 pm

Fuck I’m hooked on this. It has the most satisfying learning curve.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby mooncalf » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 pm

I'm on A15 on all classes, leveling them up one at a time. I always try for the heart kill, but its definitely getting pretty difficult.

mooncalf

Postby broodstar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:Fuck I’m hooked on this. It has the most satisfying learning curve.

this was very easily my top 3 most enjoyable experiences of 'getting good'

broodstar

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:19 pm

Got my first defect win with a heavy zero-cost/draw deck and saying fuck it and taking runic dome after Act 2 despite barely knowing the Act 3 enemy patterns, and boy that was just like a giant serotonin dump into my brain

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby lil bro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:53 am

Finally broke through the last few covenants for monster train and beat the highest level! Gonna try and get a win for each different combination, I’ve gone random/random each time which helps keep it fresh. Very fun game I’d recommend if you’re into STS. Feels way easier to me though, I still feel like I’m not very good and just lucked into broken stuff a lot of the time. I feel like you’re given way more opportunities for synergy than STS which feels good but also makes it pretty easy to just win.

Candle boys are so fun, it didn’t even really feel like the hardest difficulty. Took capacity each time and just had the most unstoppable floors; giant splitting candle that I kept using the extinguish card on, multistrike sludge that was constantly harvesting rage off endless imps, and then my champ and a bounty stalker that had around 200 damage by the last fight. Burnout champion is so good in the early game especially if you luck into early reform.
frig

lil bro

Postby broodstar » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:42 am

i'll look at it again with recent patches but it just didn't feel like it had the same longevity because it lacked the same final polish and pristine balance. instead of making it feel like every decision i made mattered and could influence the my run in a major way, i just kinda felt like i was highrolling or lowrolling into cute things. i'd basically only dive back into this game because of new content patches than because i'm itching to replay it as it is.

for instance, i wonder if the "vomit out 5 units from your deck" artifact or the "clone one of your units 5 times" event got changed

broodstar

Postby lil bro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:58 am

Yeah sketches of salvation is still very good, not sure if either got changed at all. I know they nerfed a lot of Stygian totems which I always thought were too good; sap totem being 3 is insane though. I’ll miss how good the games version of snecko is, getting that at the first artifact always felt like an instant win. The multistrike tome also feels completely unplayable now which sucks.

Tbh I hate that event lol. It should definitely have some kind of cost associated with it because 60% of units with a largestone from any clan copied 5 times is usually enough to win no matter how bad your deck is or which seraph you’re facing.

One thing I appreciate from MT over STS is how individual runs feel at the start and how the first upgrade/artifact/card draft help give you a path to the end. The amount of choice you have over your units/spells/deck and how you use them is refreshing even if a broken deck is easier to achieve compared to STS. I definitely agree with you on the balancing of STS being insanely better, but I never want to climb ascensions with silent ever again. Praying for a dash and scraping by only to get offered awful energy relics and dying on the 3rd room of act 2 and then do ing it all over again in a similar fashion wasn’t that fun. At least when I lose an MT I get to try something a little different which helped keep my enthusiasm up!
frig

lil bro

Postby joe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:24 pm

a17 is a huge difficulty jump fuck

joe

Postby mooncalf » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:42 pm

joe wrote:a17 is a huge difficulty jump fuck

For real, I've died like a dozen consecutive times trying to level up defect to a18. Might need to watch some jorbs to get over the hill.

mooncalf

Postby joe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:01 pm

yeah i'm like four deaths in a row right now also with defect. haven't even made it to the second boss.

joe

Postby mooncalf » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:24 pm

destroyed time eater on a 3 energy runic pyramid run as defect finally. had plenty of focus but no real orb generation or frost. almost beat the heart but the elites before took a little too much out of me to be able to get over the line.

now just watcher for a17 then I get tough elites the next go round. I'm at 360 hours which is insane lol.

mooncalf

Postby wakeman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:30 pm

managed to make it to A19 on Silent with brute force repetitive tries but I think I'll really have to do some jorbs-esque number-crunching and attention-paying to make it to 20. don't know if I have it in me. absolutely no room for errors

wakeman

Postby Locust Valley 3 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Jah bless

Locust Valley 3

Postby mooncalf » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Locust Valley 3 wrote:Jah bless

Jorbs bless

mooncalf

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:39 pm

I'm still only around A7 but I just beat the heart for the first time with Defect (last class I had to do it with) with a deck that had two Echo Forms and Apparitions, thing absolutely rolled the fuck over everything, most OP build I've had yet. The only thing that came close was this crazy Frankenstein Watcher build that I made around Dead Branch and Miracles.

I love how the game leads you to find new weird builds, I got Hand of Greed from the Whale the other day and built a pretty sick 12-15 card deck around buffing the hell out of it and scooping up every relic in sight in the shops.

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Kenny 3 Dope » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 am

I bought this ages ago on the Switch but have been playing it a lot more recently and it's clicking. I'm just starting so it's not impressive at all but I was 20 HP away from killing the 3rd Act Boss (to win for the first time)

It's a lot of fun
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

Kenny 3 Dope
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:20 pm

The third act boss mechanics can be fucking frustrating as hell

Built sick shiv decks during the first two acts two runs in a row and got fucking time eater both times and got owned

I guess eventually you gotta be good enough to compensate in act three but man it's aggravating

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby mooncalf » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 am

Yeah, all of the bosses counter something so you've got to stay flexible. Time eater counters infintish type decks, awakened one counters power-based decks, and donu/deku require that you can scale damage/block. Then at A20 you get to fight 2 of em :) And that's not even considering the heart who also requires you to scale and mitigate a ton of damage quickly -- and he junks your deck and has a damage per turn cap. It's a hard game lol. I remember the first time I thought I beat awakened one and then he came back alive and stronger and I was like wtf lol?

mooncalf

Postby broodstar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:23 am

time eater is generally difficult for silent no matter what. though it gives you the information to plan ahead (and/or you should even have it in mind even in act 2 or 1), it does require preexisting knowledge of what the boss' mechanics are, which can be frustrating for a new player who doesn't read up obsessively on guides and stuff. like, seeing the time eater on the map does nothing for u if u don't know it prohibits the amount of turns u can take

then u die a few times to it and get over it

broodstar

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:54 am

okay screw you guys for mentioning Monster Train

I'm supposed to be getting more things done right now

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.

Legion

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone