You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 pm

dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby Ekopestback » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:02 pm

The director's acceptance speech was one of the best speeches given at one of these award shows in probably over a decade. He seemed extremely down to earth and humbled to be there and didn't want to be the only person from Parasite on stage and it was a great sign when he invited the cast and family of everyone on stage.
Ekopestback

Postby brittle » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:welcome n00bs

i watched it saturday but i didn't know it was a best picture nom, or that the oscars were yesterday.

i thought it was OK, and was really happy and surprised to find out it won this morning.

brittle

Postby blurst of times » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:34 pm

i saw this again two sundays ago, and the emotional moments still hit me in the gut even though i knew they were coming. i think it's even better the second time!

scrambled wrote:yeah highly recommend rewatching this - esp in theaters. it was so fun feeling the audience get more and more comfortable with the humor of the movie, the laughter became a lot more steady and comfortable. haha i had to hold back screaming "AHHAH!" when mr. park commented on how the old housekeeper ate like "she was eating for two"

i don't know if this is that much of a connection but i was able to focus on so much more in the beginning, and so i noticed when the friend comes over with the uncut gem, mrs kim kind of mutters "food would have been better" when mr kim is so excited about it. then at the end, jessica is getting ready to give the basement dwellers food but then mrs. park carries her away to tell her about the birthday cake surprise. and then kevin goes down with the rock. food would have been better. resources > metaphorical philanthropic bullsht.

yeah i noticed the first thing too lol (about eating for two), but not the second part you mentioned. good catch!

this article about how the house for this was built was really cool too, if anyone's interested
Last edited by blurst of times on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurst of times
Site Admin

Postby broodstar » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm

I generally never give credence to arguments of "that movie has massive popular appeal so its message is diluted" but now I have to reconcile that with the idea of thousands of rich white boomers loving it

broodstar

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:22 pm

like these posters

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby Brouhaha » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:28 pm

that's cool they got Swinton for the hbo series
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:30 pm

UPDATE

just bought the posters

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby Geoff » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:38 pm

This just came out in the UK.

I give it a big thumbs up

Geoff
i like jazz

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:43 pm

badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:34 am

did you guys like The Host? I've loved everything of bong I've seen so I'm gonna throw it on tonight

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby tgk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:01 am

Yeah the host is pretty fun though I think it kind of wears itself out by the end.

tgk

Postby kirito » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 am

the host is a classic

kirito

Postby aububs » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 am

yeah it's great

there are no bad bongs

(I haven't seen the okra netflix thing)
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby Bartatua » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:19 am

Parasite
Memories of Murder
The Host
Mother
Snowpiercer
Okja
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby Milk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:18 pm

I saw this a couple of days ago. It was alright but too entertaining to efficiently transmit any lasting message and besides, unfortunately the world doesn't change just because you have a couple of films that seem to tepidly denounce the ways in which the rich almost obliviously exploit the poor. Anyway most people's takeaway, if any, will be something like...yeah we should help the poor more or yeah we should make it easier for the poor to also get rich or something (i mean the kid's letter at the end says how he's gonna become rich and buy the house...ok...maybe that's not the way. And yes i realise that is deliberate, even the lower classes are often so indoctrinated into the system they just think they'll try to play along or try to cheat their way through it anyway instead of thinking hey maybe we need to tear the whole thing down instead)

Maybe make a movie about the post thermo-industrial civilization collapse in which at first everyone is in it for themselves until they realize living in an anarchist society made up of many self-sufficient communities that has no monetary system or wages and that is based on mutual aid, mutual support, and voluntary cooperation and hence abolishes the idea of individual wealth and social classes is the only way to not repeat the errors of the past. But that's probably not subtle or fun enough for most people. Certainly not to win an oscar.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."

Milk

Postby walt » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:35 pm

In the ricky gervais film the invention of lying, movies are just people recounting historical events in monologue. Maybe that’s what you’re looking for.

walt

Postby tgk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:52 pm

"Too entertaining", yeah unfortunately very true

tgk

Postby Poptone » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Milk wrote:I saw this a couple of days ago. It was alright but too entertaining to efficiently transmit any lasting message and besides, unfortunately the world doesn't change just because you have a couple of films that seem to tepidly denounce the ways in which the rich almost obliviously exploit the poor. Anyway most people's takeaway, if any, will be something like...yeah we should help the poor more or yeah we should make it easier for the poor to also get rich or something (i mean the kid's letter at the end says how he's gonna become rich and buy the house...ok...maybe that's not the way. And yes i realise that is deliberate, even the lower classes are often so indoctrinated into the system they just think they'll try to play along or try to cheat their way through it anyway instead of thinking hey maybe we need to tear the whole thing down instead)

you say this doesn't effectively transmit a lasting message but then outlined the lasting message it transmits (in bold)

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:16 pm

Yeah but have you considered that it was entertaining
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby gauchebag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:50 pm

Poptone wrote:
Milk wrote:I saw this a couple of days ago. It was alright but too entertaining to efficiently transmit any lasting message and besides, unfortunately the world doesn't change just because you have a couple of films that seem to tepidly denounce the ways in which the rich almost obliviously exploit the poor. Anyway most people's takeaway, if any, will be something like...yeah we should help the poor more or yeah we should make it easier for the poor to also get rich or something (i mean the kid's letter at the end says how he's gonna become rich and buy the house...ok...maybe that's not the way. And yes i realise that is deliberate, even the lower classes are often so indoctrinated into the system they just think they'll try to play along or try to cheat their way through it anyway instead of thinking hey maybe we need to tear the whole thing down instead)

you say this doesn't effectively transmit a lasting message but then outlined the lasting message it transmits (in bold)

he put it in bold so it's easier for you to understand milk.

i, like milk, wasn't really getting anything from the message of this movie but i didn't think it was "too entertaining" either so i guess i'm the real loser here. but the only loser when you pirate is the concessionaire right comrades
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Postby tgk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:57 pm

I don't see people connecting to this because of broad messaging, the movie makes connection much more personal. the message i got from it was that I identified wayyyy too much with the rich mom and the movie did a great job of making me feel very, very guilty for all that I have.

tgk

Postby banquo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:26 pm

this movie is good.

was the tone of anyone else's viewing lightly disrupted by getting reminded of:
ImageToggle Spoiler

banquo

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:11 am

Loved this. I thought the following quote from the so metaphorical article posted earlier summed it up nicely.

Spoiler, directly critiquing the final scene.

It may seem like a bitter ending, indulging a cynicism unbecoming a filmmaker whose movies tend to productively re-imagine social and familial bonds. But it’s key to Parasite’s satirical edge, underscoring the manner in which we tend to get lost in daydreams of progressivism, while fundamentally ignoring the material conditions that require meaningful change. Parasite feels, in this respect, like a riposte to a whole culture that saddles mainstream films with claims of social or political relevance. . . .

Parasite poses as a class war thriller in order to call attention to a fundamental problem of the sub-genre. Namely, the manner in which such stories risk assuaging the tensions they pretend to accelerate. In place of some cockle-warming fantasy of class solidarity, Bong invites us to question the role such fantasies play in offering cheap catharsis, and prods at the acute false consciousness required to believe that social upheaval can be sewn by a blockbuster movie manufactured by a many-billion dollar mass media multinational with a deeply vested interest in the status quo. Parasite is a film that mocks a modern audience’s desperate desire to praise any film with a wide-eyed, “Wow! So metaphorical!” And such deeply thoughtful circumspection is, if we need anything, maybe what we need right now.
Toggle Spoiler

link to the article: https://thebaffler.com/latest/so-metaphorical-semley
tim

whatabout tim

Postby antoine » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:30 am

I saw this in the theater last week. It's a good movie. I think the message was less "the rich are bad" but rather just presenting capitalism/the current system as it is and reflecting on the paradoxes, conflictions, and resentments it engenders among people. The rich family isn't presented as evil, just aloof to their privilege which feels pretty right to me. It's not a new concept for a film but it feels particularly relevant in this age and that's why it's probably resonated so much. Joker worked with a lot of the same themes and that was also a phenomenon. Lamenting late capitalism seems to be the zeitgeist rn.

antoine

Postby Merciel » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:30 pm

We just watched Murnau's The Last Laugh (1924), which is kind of amazing in how the whole movie is about the crushingly inevitable tragedy of a guy aging out of the job he can do (he's a hotel porter and gets too old to hoist heavy bags anymore) and being demoted to an easier but more humiliating job (washroom attendant) that he can do, which in 1924 Germany was about the best outcome you could hope for, since there wasn't exactly a lot of pension security for lower-middle-class workers. (Rather than being grateful for whatever small mercy this represents, our protagonist experiences his job change as a humiliation that genuinely ruins his life; I don't know whether this would be felt as acutely now, but it does seem to be a recurring theme in Depression-era American fiction as well, the idea that being out of work or relegated to undignified work is enough to just completely destroy you psychologically.)

And the happy ending outcome for this guy is that, by deliberately ludicrous improbability, he stumbles into a giant fortune that's just handed to him guilt free, and immediately gets to be a caviar-gobbling plutocrat himself. That's it, the end, righteousness is established via this guy being a big tipper.

It says something that in about 100 years of actively wrestling with this story pattern, the happy ending is just changing around who gets the money. I think Parasite does a great job of undercutting the fantasy by framing it as a character's delusion rather than an authorial artifice, but it is striking that this is, in a steady line over a century, where human imagination repeatedly goes.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby mutism » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm

mutism

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:52 pm

Bartatua wrote:Parasite
Memories of Murder
The Host
Mother
Snowpiercer
Okja

Parasite
Snowpiercer
Memories of Murder
The Host
Okja

Haven't seen Mother.

That Demon Life

Postby Bartatua » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:08 pm

mother and snowpiercer are a little hazier in my memory but i am confident in my top 3
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby saranclaps » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:43 am

this is playing in imax this weekend
hmm
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....