broodstar

Postby neely o'hara » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 pm

cuno fan checking in

neely o'hara

Postby marble » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:26 am

i bought the damn game

marble

Postby marble » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:23 am

ok i'm fucking loving this. just failed a stat check and flew into a women in a wheelchair while pulling the fingers at a guy i just questionedToggle Spoiler

feel like you absolutely cannot and should not save scum this game

marble

Postby broodstar » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:57 am

can people not indiscriminately @ me thanks

broodstar

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:09 am

jca wrote:im wondering if you can miss something because of how you spend your time. i think the games done a good job of making reasons for npcs to stay where they are

pretty sure you can. there are also way, way too many tasks for you to possibly complete in the available time, and the cluttered list kinda feels like a dig at other crpgs; it makes no effort to distinguish between major investigation leads and the wackiest petty bullshit, and it's up to the player to prioritize.

for the most part, the game just adapts and keeps on trucking if you fail something, so I'm curious how being a complete disaster constantly would bear on the long-term success of the investigation (i.e., are there "good"/"bad" endings?). wasting your time on long, irrelevant conversations starts to feel like a bad choice, though, and I have this real sense of urgency and the day wasting, whether that's fake or not. it kind of stresses me out as as completionist, but I'm also just leaning into it hard and leaving a lot of stuff for an inevitable second/third/?? playthrough.

iambic

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:26 am

under the hood, it kinda seems like it's an especially complex choose-your-own-adventure book. you choose which pages to read, and you also choose what inflection--what attitudinal smell and feel--the pages have. also the pages are disintegrating in your hands as you read.

my guy is a very Communistic Dale Cooper/Doc Sportello type, so I can't wait to try a Fascist Mike Hammer who just physically assaults every problem. on that note, very glad that the game doesn't just adopt a South Park-like "everything is fodder for my aloof comedy" pose, but has an implied stance on things. there are still some extremely White Leftist Twitter moments (Revachol is also decidedly European, with all that entails in elisions re: race), but the game has this hurt, vulnerable, humanistic streak if you let it come out.

iambic

Postby jojo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:59 am

feels like something genuinely new to me. very VN-like, but the options and amount of things that can happen seem staggering (i played basically a 5-6 hour straight session)

i really havent been paying attention to time, but i also came into this game totally blind. it seems very accommodating of the player totally not giving a shit about solving crimes (i dont and im not really trying) and that totally rules. i have inland empire at like 8 or something and it's great

jojo

Postby jojo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:01 am

my guy is an erratic communist asshole that has a soft spot for horrible people and constantly forgets his position on things (or maybe doesnt really have one at all, who knows) and it's the first time ive ever truly felt represented in a game as i am in irl (my spirit is still my ff14 character)

jojo

Postby garbiel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:35 am

Added to my backlog.

garbiel

Postby jojo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:42 am

from what i gather inland empire mostly warns me when something dumb as hell i have as an option is going to kill me, which is good because i generally do whatever is dumb as hell

i dont even know how we can have a thread about this game without spoilers, but it also seems like it can play out so many ways it doesnt matter

jojo

Postby jca » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 am

the writing for kim is so good. i love when he like fiddles with his notepad or pretends something caught his attention when im saying something stupid

jca

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm tempted by every "grind the industrialists into paste" dialogue option, but I'm finding myself more into the human/personality responses. It's turning me into a McNulty "the fuck did I do?" Sorry cop.

I also enjoy how dialogue with different npcs makes me want to shift how I talk or what I want my guy to act like. I beelined for the bookstore first thing Monday for no reason and talking with Annette and her mom and doing some of that associated quest changed my whole character plan.

a blessed relief to have Kim as my sole(?) companion. I don't know why I've never realized this before, but I hate wrpg companions. They add a weird layer of stress to the rpg: did I max out your please like me stat? Is bringing you to your faction headquarters beneficial or am I wasting my time and could be using someone with lower levels of liking me and building them up?

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby jojo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:11 pm

i cannot reiterate how much i love how much this game lets you totally disrespect it and do whatever the fuck you want

it's so impressive for what's been so far to me an entirely narrative game

im really just going up to everyone and telling them to fuck off or that im an alcoholic or just saying "i am the law" and not asking about the murder and it really appears to be a totally viable way to play

jojo

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:12 pm

jca wrote:the writing for kim is so good. i love when he like fiddles with his notepad or pretends something caught his attention when im saying something stupid

Yeah I think Kim is my favorite part so far
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby jojo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 pm

kim straight up tells me to stop it at this point

i was so happy when i decked the kid

i thought i did it with a crowbar because i had one in my hand but i didnt realize "physical instrument" was a tree thing at the time

jojo

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:16 pm

This is a better game in every single way than tides of numenara but, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I feel this game wouldn't be exactly what it is without numenara's existence. It feels like a stronger connection than just a similar influence or the lineage of planescape.

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:28 pm

this game was in development for years before numenera was released, tho

iambic

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:34 pm

The last two years seems like ample time to respond to it in some parts of development. I guess right now I'm thinking about the ui and the floating bubbles in particular as a method of interacting with the world. Does that go back to planescape? It's been so long.

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm

jojo wrote:kim straight up tells me to stop it at this point

i was so happy when i decked the kid

i thought i did it with a crowbar because i had one in my hand but i didnt realize "physical instrument" was a tree thing at the time

On my first playthru I died taking a swing at the kid and failing a dexterity check resulting in me falling on my face and having a heart attack. I had already lost one bar of health turning on the light in my hotel room lolToggle Spoiler

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:46 pm

The initial reveal of your own face was maybe the biggest laugh for me so far

guy forget

Postby jca » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:14 pm

my thought cabinet is just fascist thoughts and love for kim

jca

Postby jojo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:27 pm

i need more though cabinet stuff

i "got my shit together" which was cool

jojo

Postby jojo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:27 pm

except now i dont want my shit together anymore and i think i have to spend a skill point to lose it? i dunno i refuse to learn any mechanics until i either die or get an ending and start a second playthrough

i should get my tie

oh im also refusing to wear a shirt while i walk around in gardening gloves

"the true detective.."

jojo

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:29 pm

jca wrote:my thought cabinet is just fascist thoughts and love for kim

My first thought was “inexplicable feminist agenda” which initially I was kinda :? about but actually seems sorta well done and is not just played for laughs?Toggle Spoiler

In truth after playing a couple hours last night I initially thought this game was not for me but I haven’t stopped thinking about it all day so...I can’t wait to get home and start it back up!

guy forget

Postby jojo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:31 pm

did not realize this game was estonian

no wonder it's so good

jojo

Postby jojo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:33 pm

guy forget wrote:
jca wrote:my thought cabinet is just fascist thoughts and love for kim

My first thought was “inexplicable feminist agenda” which initially I was kinda :? about but actually seems sorta well done and is not just played for laughs?Toggle Spoiler

In truth after playing a couple hours last night I initially thought this game was not for me but I haven’t stopped thinking about it all day so...I can’t wait to get home and start it back up!

there were a couple moments where i worried about it getting too southparky but ive generally found that stuff loops back around and ends up not being bad like it seems

im not having too much difficulty giving them the benefit of the doubt

jojo

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Yeah I’ve had the same thought process

Like my preference is for there not to be a character who calls you f****t repeatedly in a game, but if you’re gonna do it for narrative reasons I guess it’s better that your character can punch them in the face yelling “stop calling me slurs” or w/e. Bell in the RPS review mentions that it would be possible for people many political
persuasions to think this game caters to them and I think that’s true which can get troubling in a South Parky “all
sides suck!” kinda way but so far I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how it treats social justice, though I’m 100% withholding judgement until I see how things play out a bit more
Toggle Spoiler

guy forget

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:51 pm

I think you'd have to be kinda obtuse to think the game just dispassionately caters to people of all persuasions without irony or comment, but I also haven't tried the fascist path. it does do some "here are the problems with all the ideologies!" stuff, but it is pretty clear where the game's heart is. obv there are always questions about depiction/endorsement, but this game has a big, beating humanistic heart. some of the deepest scorn is reserved for the moralists/liberals.

iambic

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....