Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby jca » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 am

the writing for kim is so good. i love when he like fiddles with his notepad or pretends something caught his attention when im saying something stupid

jca

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm tempted by every "grind the industrialists into paste" dialogue option, but I'm finding myself more into the human/personality responses. It's turning me into a McNulty "the fuck did I do?" Sorry cop.

I also enjoy how dialogue with different npcs makes me want to shift how I talk or what I want my guy to act like. I beelined for the bookstore first thing Monday for no reason and talking with Annette and her mom and doing some of that associated quest changed my whole character plan.

a blessed relief to have Kim as my sole(?) companion. I don't know why I've never realized this before, but I hate wrpg companions. They add a weird layer of stress to the rpg: did I max out your please like me stat? Is bringing you to your faction headquarters beneficial or am I wasting my time and could be using someone with lower levels of liking me and building them up?

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:12 pm

jca wrote:the writing for kim is so good. i love when he like fiddles with his notepad or pretends something caught his attention when im saying something stupid

Yeah I think Kim is my favorite part so far
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:16 pm

This is a better game in every single way than tides of numenara but, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I feel this game wouldn't be exactly what it is without numenara's existence. It feels like a stronger connection than just a similar influence or the lineage of planescape.

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:28 pm

this game was in development for years before numenera was released, tho

iambic

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:34 pm

The last two years seems like ample time to respond to it in some parts of development. I guess right now I'm thinking about the ui and the floating bubbles in particular as a method of interacting with the world. Does that go back to planescape? It's been so long.

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm

jojo wrote:kim straight up tells me to stop it at this point

i was so happy when i decked the kid

i thought i did it with a crowbar because i had one in my hand but i didnt realize "physical instrument" was a tree thing at the time

On my first playthru I died taking a swing at the kid and failing a dexterity check resulting in me falling on my face and having a heart attack. I had already lost one bar of health turning on the light in my hotel room lolToggle Spoiler

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:46 pm

The initial reveal of your own face was maybe the biggest laugh for me so far

guy forget

Postby jca » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:14 pm

my thought cabinet is just fascist thoughts and love for kim

jca

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:29 pm

jca wrote:my thought cabinet is just fascist thoughts and love for kim

My first thought was “inexplicable feminist agenda” which initially I was kinda :? about but actually seems sorta well done and is not just played for laughs?Toggle Spoiler

In truth after playing a couple hours last night I initially thought this game was not for me but I haven’t stopped thinking about it all day so...I can’t wait to get home and start it back up!

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Yeah I’ve had the same thought process

Like my preference is for there not to be a character who calls you f****t repeatedly in a game, but if you’re gonna do it for narrative reasons I guess it’s better that your character can punch them in the face yelling “stop calling me slurs” or w/e. Bell in the RPS review mentions that it would be possible for people many political
persuasions to think this game caters to them and I think that’s true which can get troubling in a South Parky “all
sides suck!” kinda way but so far I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how it treats social justice, though I’m 100% withholding judgement until I see how things play out a bit more
Toggle Spoiler

guy forget

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:51 pm

I think you'd have to be kinda obtuse to think the game just dispassionately caters to people of all persuasions without irony or comment, but I also haven't tried the fascist path. it does do some "here are the problems with all the ideologies!" stuff, but it is pretty clear where the game's heart is. obv there are always questions about depiction/endorsement, but this game has a big, beating humanistic heart. some of the deepest scorn is reserved for the moralists/liberals.

iambic

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:52 pm

I am near the end of day 3 and it just keeps getting better idk. I appreciate that you can play it wildly just ignoring the main plot/investigation, but fuck, the investigation stuff is so good.

iambic

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:57 pm

iambic wrote:I think you'd have to be kinda obtuse to think the game just dispassionately caters to people of all persuasions without irony or comment, but I also haven't tried the fascist path. it does do some "here are the problems with all the ideologies!" stuff, but it is pretty clear where the game's heart is. obv there are always questions about depiction/endorsement, but this game has a big, beating humanistic heart. some of the deepest scorn is reserved for the moralists/liberals.

Yeah this is probably right. I’m just on the lookout is all!

guy forget

Postby banquo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 pm

i'm not sure if this would be a great game for me, but all of the hype/enjoyment in this thread is making it sound tempting

is this at all like obra dinn where you can keep a little notebook and find the clues? or is it more just go along with it all?

my main issues with 'choose your adventure' style things has been "well that didn't seem to lead to death at all, but here we are and i feel cheated." or in that netflix blackmirror movie with CYOA, it was completely "doing a reasonable thing will lead to nowhere! try again, but the weird options"

banquo

Postby jca » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

i loved the ending of the haunted business sidequest the dicemaker is like the ghost that is shuttering stores is called capitalism lolToggle Spoiler

jca

Postby Gutslab » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:30 pm

post itt if ur hoping on disco elysium to save u

Gutslab

Postby marble » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:12 pm

i know i said no save scumming earlier but i had to save scum during one point because of the way i rolled my character

i rolled v low psy, so i only have 1 volition and thus only 1 morale point. talking to the union head seems to be the only way to progress the game (to get a keycard to go through leo's room) but talking to him means you automatically lose 2 morale points when you realise you've lost your gun. thankfully i had two restorative flasks, but then there's a third skill check that i had a 17% chance to beat which also results in lost morale. so basically i had to keep repeating the convo until i succeeded.Toggle Spoiler kinda sucked.

still love the game tho!

marble

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:17 pm

You can also discover that you’ve lost your gun by calling HQ from Kim’s car which I don’t think costs you a morale pointToggle Spoiler, not that that helps you at all

guy forget

Postby marble » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

did anyone go into the neighbour's room when she's having a shower? kinda curious what happens but i didn't do it because i ain't playing as a creep. thought maybe the cigarettes are in there?

marble

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 pm

I am on day 4 and I cannot post all of my joys because everything I want to post is a spoiler

iambic

Postby jca » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:44 pm

fish hook lady

jca

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:45 pm

I don't even know what that means!

iambic

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:57 pm

will menaker is definitely the guy hawking stuff by the bridge. of any of them, virgil is the only one who deserves a shot at voice acting, but I haven't run into him yet.

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby jca » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:22 pm

iambic wrote:weird how I had to wait until 2019 to play the best game ever made

yeah p much

jca

Postby jca » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:36 pm

the skill system in this is so fucking fun and well designed. just had an extended convo with several different skills talking to one anotherToggle Spoiler. i read about that in previews but seeing it in action just owns

and i feel like the red/white system encourages you to click either whenever they come up. in an early dev blog, a game designer said that It’s rewarding to be bad at some things and to not increase skills. and some red checks will never be above 3% success, and the actual check comes from clicking or not clicking rather than passing/failing. i dunno i feel like some of my favorite moments so far have been through failing red checks and having kim step in to helpToggle Spoiler or ignoring pain threshold's warning and following through with a call to an exToggle Spoiler

jca

Postby Legion » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:39 pm

big, seemingly kinda dumb thread on the Steam forums in which someone decries the developers for being buddy-buddy with a podcast that is "a synonym for far left-wing radicalization." :awful:

don't really have the stamina to plow thru for highlights

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.

Legion

Postby Legion » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:43 pm

I didn't choose that "smiley" but I guess it chose me

I'm gonna leave it there

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.

Legion

Postby villalobos » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:03 am

I died less than one (1) minute into the game :lol:

I had a heart attack trying and failing to grab my tie from the fan (I have like a 1 in physique)Toggle Spoiler

sold on the game in less than a minute

edit: went 5 in intelligence, 4 in psyche, with Inland Empire

basically i'm going full Rust Cohle in this bitch
Last edited by villalobos on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
villalobos

Postby marble » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 am

inland empire absolutely seems like the most fun tbh. regret not investing in it

marble

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....