Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 am

you find out your work wasn't actually closed and you have messages from your boss/HR asking where you are

:shock:
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby VHGisdead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:07 am

lol you observed Columbus Day
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby jack » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:09 am

jack

Postby delgriffith » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:10 am

delgriffith

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 am

VHGisdead wrote:lol you observed Columbus Day

I guess my workplace is more woke than I thought
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby VHGisdead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:38 am

:/

VHGisdead

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:42 am

?

i thought my work was closed on a federal holiday so i didn't go in? turns out they were open. if i thought they were closed what was i supposed to do lol. go break in and work anyways in protest?

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby powderfinger » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:46 am

Even though I know for sure we have it off, I always feel weird not going to work on Columbus Day. Nobody in the office ever says a word about it being a long weekend.

powderfinger

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:10 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:?

i thought my work was closed on a federal holiday so i didn't go in? turns out they were open. if i thought they were closed what was i supposed to do lol. go break in and work anyways in protest?

My last job would send out an email leading up to every federal holiday to remind us whether it was one we had the day off or one we were expected to come in. I would have thought this would be unnecessary, but there was a guy in my department who, in spite of the emails, would show up on days we had off.

Eyeball Kid

Postby ecto » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:11 am

this happened to me at my co-op in college but my managers also took the day off, so i just filled out my timesheet as if i had gone in that day and it all worked out. sounds like it didn't go so well for you though
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen

ecto

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:12 am

I have never been employed at a place that gave us Columbus Day off

Eyeball Kid

Postby VHGisdead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:14 am

I hope you don't get in trouble at work

VHGisdead

Postby coop » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:15 am

it's kinda weird that the stock market was open yesterday, but the bond market was closed

coop

Postby shark week » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:20 am

over 50% of my workload is managing Indian Child Welfare Act compliance

i refuse to think of it as anything other than Indigenous People's Day
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 am

Are you in trouble RBK
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 am

nah i think they got that it was just a mistake

fwiw i live in DC so lots of people have CD off, including my wife who works for the fed gov, so i just didn't think anything of it

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Merciel » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 am

Not only did I have Columbus Day off, but we had early dismissal on Friday because it's a federal holiday.

My co-worker and I knocked off to a bar to have frozen margaritas and laugh at another co-worker's trolling of the entire office by sending out a blast email saying "let's all celebrate Christopher Columbus, the original social justice activist!", which predictably spiraled out of control until the administration had to tell everyone to stfu and take their internet arguments to Facebook and off the reply-all email system.

Today has, so far, not been that kind of day.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby brittle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:05 am

Daycare was closed yesterday. I tired but still I didn't get a lot of work done

brittle

Postby ecto » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:25 am

Merciel wrote:My co-worker and I knocked off to a bar to have frozen margaritas and laugh at another co-worker's trolling of the entire office by sending out a blast email saying "let's all celebrate Christopher Columbus, the original social justice activist!"

hilarious!
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen

ecto

Postby Buddy Knox » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:28 pm

My dream is to one day have a job that gives us any federal holiday, aside from Christmas, off.

Buddy Knox

Postby jack » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:20 pm

jack

Postby quinine » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:31 pm

ecto wrote:
Merciel wrote:My co-worker and I knocked off to a bar to have frozen margaritas and laugh at another co-worker's trolling of the entire office by sending out a blast email saying "let's all celebrate Christopher Columbus, the original social justice activist!"

hilarious!

idk I think this is kinda funny just in how stupid it is
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby blab » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:40 pm

i'm having a hard time getting the joke

blab

Postby blab » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:41 pm

not in a >:O way but more in like a Image way

blab

Postby big zorb » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:42 pm

damn, boarders out here callin it columbus day
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby joe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:46 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:I have never been employed at a place that gave us Columbus Day off

joe

Postby clouds » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:18 pm

the history of how this became a recognized holiday in the u.s. is so bizarre.

clouds

Postby Merciel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:39 am

blab wrote:i'm having a hard time getting the joke

The joke is that (a) you can actually make a colorable argument that Columbus was uncommonly forward-thinking for his day (while undeniably the agent of atrocity and genocide, a lot of that is attributable to his soldiers and later conquistadores who followed in his footsteps; Columbus himself was a fairly complicated and ambiguous figure who did some good things in addition to the bad ones), which is not something that I personally am super-invested in debating but is nevertheless often forgotten these days, and a point of some annoyance to this particular colleague, who has a Thing about people oversimplifying history; and (b) people were so quick to jump on his head with their own generally poor understandings of history that they blew up the entire officewide email system with Reply All outrages (most of which weren't a whole lot more sophisticated than the responses in this thread) instead of just, you know, directing their emails to the guy who originally sent the first thing.

Which I think says something about the performative nature of the outrage, and/or people's incompetence with Reply All, which is the funny part to me.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby The Dirty Turtle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:52 am

hi please remove me from this thread

The Dirty Turtle
ok

Postby Merciel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:02 am

I should maybe also add that a potentially important bit of context here is that we all work for an extremely progressive office.

So, like, if it genuinely bothered you that we're celebrating Columbus (which: fair!), all you'd really have to do to change this would be to shoot an email to the administration saying "hey could we maybe do Indigenous People's instead?" and I'm pretty sure you would immediately get what you asked for.

But instead of doing that -- which would be the logical move if you actually gave a shit about changing anything in any symbolic but meaningful way -- all these people just wanted to get into history fights with my nerd-ass coworker and thereby shut down the office email system, preventing anybody else from doing their actual jobs for an hour or so.

So yeah to me that's pretty funny. Also indicative of why the left so often can't get its shit together to do things, which is bleak but also worth a lol.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....