Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue May 12, 2020 9:38 am

Yeah King Gizzard is the jam indie side that I'd say is slightly more in the jam mainstream, similar to stuff like Khruangbin, Chicano Batman, Vulfpeck, but definitely more experimental than any of those. I think Trey likes them a lot

rich uncle skeleton

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue May 12, 2020 9:39 am

Dinosauria We wrote:Love waking up to a new transcendent Tuluum Shimmering track

https://tuluumshimmering.bandcamp.com/album/sister-ray-meets-china-cat-sunflower-uptown

Also bump for the new page. This dude can do no wrong

rich uncle skeleton

Postby ted dibiase » Tue May 12, 2020 9:55 am

I've seen King Gizzard 3 times now with a buddy who is really into them. "they're all over the place" is exactly right. One of the shows was basically a full thrash metal setlist.

ted dibiase

Postby ted dibiase » Tue May 12, 2020 10:00 am

For whatever reason, nugs.net and Relix are big behind Billy Strings. I think a big part of his popularity is all the free webcasts he was doing pre-pandemic.

They can get a bit psychedelic at times, but I agree with jewels take, he's great player but I'm not sure why all the attention?

ted dibiase

Postby v h g » Tue May 12, 2020 10:20 am

rich uncle skeleton wrote:
Dinosauria We wrote:Love waking up to a new transcendent Tuluum Shimmering track

https://tuluumshimmering.bandcamp.com/album/sister-ray-meets-china-cat-sunflower-uptown

Also bump for the new page. This dude can do no wrong

+++
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

v h g

Postby Althea » Tue May 12, 2020 3:18 pm

Yessss love that Tuluum, especially realizing the segue's happened and wondering how long it took me to notice. Has anyone else sent in a request? I sent a few options and got a brief friendly thanks, waiting to see if that's the equivalent of getting a heart from inzane johnny.
The cosmos, sorry (she/her)

Althea

Postby plasticbaggie » Tue May 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Grand Epic wrote:The 111 Heavy live album RIPS. Could never get into the studio stuff but I’m loving this.

Great live show. Mitchell rips on geetr
plasticbaggie

Postby klubrick » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:05 am

klubrick

Postby Phil » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:51 am

Single is good, assume it'll be better in context, given:

The music itself is a double image: one album-length side of songs that advance the crisp momentum and tangled jangle of early-2019’s Natural Facts; and a second half that extends the medley action on Cosmic Cash with the long reach of One Step Behind in a suite of dynamic writing and bonded, instrumental charge, connected by live-to-tape jams – the band’s first time exercising that second-nature-on-stage in a studio.

:awful:

Phil

Postby klubrick » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 am

yea really cool for them to do a blended album of distinct songs and then a sidelength medley.

klubrick

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:04 am

Althea wrote:There's a new Chuck Johnson solo album, a new 20 minute Dead Sea Apes track, the 2020 Drone Not Drones show (28 hours of done sets), the Modern Nature mix it yourself thing with a bunch of rad guests including Ryley, some new/old emeralds stuff, the Joan Shelley live album released recently... Also strongly recommend this French psych band if you haven't heard them:

https://slift.bandcamp.com/album/ummon

I just gave slift a proper listen today, that last song that runs for 13 minutes got played twice, daaaamn it goes
Like crazy horse and the oh sees and hawkwind in a blender IN SPACE
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby jewels » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:27 pm

i finally gave Garcia Peoples a real listen, and hey! They rule!

kinda remind me of early Meat Puppets, maybe a dash of Steve Gunn. Not a lot of Dead, which is what kept me from listening to them. I thought they were going to be a limp GD. Happy to be wrong.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Phil » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Phil

Postby jewels » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:47 pm

That shirt looks older than anyone in the band.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby jewels » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:04 am

I’m officially a super fan of their studio work. Am I doing it wrong? The kids are alright.

jewels

Postby klubrick » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:31 am

hell yea jewels!

klubrick

Postby v h g » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:21 am

I miss going to see this band

v h g

Postby hamilton » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:21 pm

Really like what they did with this one in the studio

and

VHGisdead wrote:I miss going to see this band

hamilton

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:32 pm

So whack :x

rich uncle skeleton

Postby Althea » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:52 pm

The process he describes in that tweet thread is basically making a podcast, so he could just do a podcast. Tom Marshall's podcast network would be happy to have him I'm sure, he'd fit right in amongst all the psych rock beardos there.
The cosmos, sorry (she/her)

Althea

Postby gauchebag » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:59 pm

this is a bummer - i just hung w jeff at ft tilden last weekend and spirits were high, hopefully as said he can get a 'cast going

gauchebag

Postby v h g » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:28 pm

Yeah that's really too bad. Hope he's back with something that works for him after a little break

v h g

Postby jewels » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:40 pm

I never knew who the conklin was in the thread title

Bummer of a way to find out

jewels

Postby Dinosauria We » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:45 am

Reentering this thread with maybe a bit of an unpopular opinion - Jeff Conklin is sort of a jerk? I am basing this entirely off of his internet presence, not the human being that he is because I have no way of knowing that.

First, I should say that I am incredibly grateful to Jeff for all of the tunes he’s been responsible for introducing to me during the last couple of years. I mean, truly, some all-time great stuff that I’ll probably listen to forever. Having encountered him at a show (my last before lockdown - GP in Woodstock), he definitely gives off a genuine appreciation for the music. For all of those reasons, I appreciate who he is and what he brings/has brought to this little scene.

I guess where I take issue with him is the sort of exclusionary vibe that he gives off. It is extremely reminiscent of the 2000s indie-dude caricature and I find it to be tiresome. Always putting out messaging that seems designed to cut-down and tier, rather than bring people together in their curiosity or love of the scene. Yep, you look down on Heads that listen to music via Spotify instead of cassette. Uh-huh, people are idiots for going to Dead & Company shows. Cornell is too norm etc. It’s gate-keeping and it’s unnecessary and pointless. That is not the type of ambassador that this scene needs and I think the reverence he's shown is silly.

I'm not at all defending the corporate intrusion into the scene. I wish it didn't exist. I might agree with Jeff on the majority of his takes, but I wouldn't use them the way he seems to, as a means of determining who the "true," Heads are. The message should be that no matter how you stumbled upon the music, the people, the feeling - you are in the right place. Nothing else should matter.

Oh, also, I’m glad that “The Avant Ghetto,” will be retired. Was he legally bound to use that title or something? It sounds like he knew the name was shitty but let it stand until now.

Dinosauria We

Postby jewels » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:54 am

well now i'm glad I just found out about him :twisted:

jewels

Postby Mechanical bird » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Just got the new Gunn/Truscinski duo double lp and it is good as hell, Highly recommended
Also, I'm not hosebeast

Mechanical bird

Postby Mechanical bird » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Oh also really enjoying the Pacific Range album this summer, love those warm sounds
Also, I'm not hosebeast

Mechanical bird

Postby snow wave » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:32 pm

He’s a prick

snow wave

Postby Grand Epic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:53 pm

Few months back I posted a comment on a Facebook post of Conklin’s saying very earnestly “don’t know if you’ve heard it but this new 111 Heavy live album is great” and he replied “never heard of ‘em” and I guess it was a joke (and I’m bad at taking jokes so I thought maybe it was me) but it always felt slightly shitty.

Grand Epic

Postby Grand Epic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:57 pm

Seems like a decent guy though, I usually try to give people benefit of the doubt when it’s online.

Grand Epic

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....