Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby john plainman 2 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 pm

finally got around to OSB and its like, powerwashing away my anxiety

john plainman 2

Postby guy forget » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:28 pm

guy forget wrote:I was talkin about Natural Facts, I’ll check out CC now

I think my favorite part of OSB is how huge and sprawling both songs feel. When their sound is condensed into more typical length songs like on these other albums it doesn’t get its hooks into me quite as much
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:28 pm

Phil wrote:Show last night had an absolutely scorching jam in the middle of it

This was one of the best jams I've seen them do yet, can't wait for a tape of it. I would say OSB>Natural Facts>Cosmic Cash even though I agree the production on Cosmic Cash is better than Natural Facts. High Noon Violence, Rolling Tides, Total Yang, and the Spiraling are easily going to remain live staples for awhile, nothing on Cosmic Cash touches those imo except Show yr Troubles Out.

These dudes really need to play longer shows. Ideally we'd get 2 sets but if they're gonna do 1 I gotta get more than just 45 min. Feels like right when the room is getting hot they're playing their last tune. Got some good vibes giving Tom a thumbs up and shouting "great show man!" while walking to coat check post-show last night. Still seems like they love hearing that people love hearing them

rich uncle skeleton

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:59 pm

My post last page about Cosmic Cash probably read harsher than I intended it to. I'm largely on the same page as guy, as far as finding OSB such a big jump for the space it gives things to play out, and the extent they're willing to commit to repetitive structures that aren't just mindlessly groovy. I think a lot of the CC songs play quite well live--the Television-y middle section of Hangin' On was a highlight last night--but as an album, it's closer to full-on jamband territory than I'd prefer.

Phil

Postby Althea » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:47 pm

I've never seen them live and am unlikely to get the chance so I'm coming from a strictly home listening perspective. And Cosmic Cash soundtracked the parts of my summer 2018 that Phish didn't so it's just imprinted at this point.

Mostly just excited to hear what they do next. An album with a side of regular songs and one sidelong jam song would be cool, or like four or five heart and soul sized tunes. Have they been playing any new unreleased songs during the residency?
The cosmos, sorry (she/her)

Althea

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:11 pm

I posted videos of the two new songs they debuted last week on the first page.

And they opened last night with Gliding Through, which they played a few times this summer: https://archive.org/details/garciapeopl ... wl-03.flac (there's a non-zero chance that the track labelled "jam" on this recording is the instrumental/jam I mentioned from last night, though if it is, last night's was quite a bit further out).

Phil

Postby concerning » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:36 pm

on the day's third OSB listen :twisted:

concerning

Postby fakename » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Loving OSB.
glad to hear dire wolves are still around: currently jamming their stunned tape from 2010.

fakename

Postby Phil » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 am

Fresh baked goods for your Saturday morning.

Last week's Peoples show: https://archive.org/details/garciapeoples2019-10-17

And this week's:

Phil

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:55 am

God I love that jam so much, major Careful with that Axe, Eugene vibes

rich uncle skeleton

Postby Grand Epic » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:22 am

Jammin' to some Steve Gunn right now.

Grand Epic

Postby concerning » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 am

i really love the old steve gunn stuff like this where it sounds like the instruments are in an eternal cosmic loop bliss spiral around the vocals

concerning

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 am

I love Steve Gunn. His last album was probably my least favorite of his 2010's solo albums, but the acoustic version of it that just came out is giving me a newfound appreciation for the songs. All-time favorite of his is this extended version of the Lurker from the Three Lobed Recording's 10th anniversary box:
https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2011/07/09/137676353/song-premiere-steve-gunn-the-lurker-extended

rich uncle skeleton

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:33 am

This new interview with Danny, Andy, and Derek makes it sound like Derek is definitely still part of the band, and PG Six is a full member now. Lots of good stuff in here:
https://www.echoesanddust.com/2019/10/garcia-peoples/

Didn't realize Andy is the dude from Spin that wrote this article about Youtube algorithms awhile back:
https://www.spin.com/featured/youtube-algorithm-music-essay-ambient-hiroshi-yoshimura-midori-takada/

rich uncle skeleton

Postby v h g » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:51 am

That's an enjoyable interview
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

v h g

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:01 am

Love the Citadel Rock story:

rich uncle skeleton

Postby SabreFancS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:30 pm

bring on the jams

SabreFancS

Postby v h g » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:31 pm

I'll be there with jams on

v h g

Postby Althea » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:39 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:I love Steve Gunn. His last album was probably my least favorite of his 2010's solo albums, but the acoustic version of it that just came out is giving me a newfound appreciation for the songs. All-time favorite of his is this extended version of the Lurker from the Three Lobed Recording's 10th anniversary box:
https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2011/07/09/137676353/song-premiere-steve-gunn-the-lurker-extended

Ooh that's a great one, thanks. I've seen him twice, both solo acoustic, and he does that great trancey mesmerizing circling guitar jam thing so well.
The cosmos, sorry (she/her)

Althea

Postby v h g » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:10 pm

I saw Gunn (with band) a couple months ago and it was great, but I was cracking up at these fellas who seemed like they were rolling. Clearly big Gunn heads but dancing way too hard at anything remotely uptempo

v h g

Postby Dead_Wizard » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:48 pm

VHGisdead wrote:I saw Gunn (with band) a couple months ago and it was great, but I was cracking up at these fellas who seemed like they were rolling. Clearly big Gunn heads but dancing way too hard at anything remotely uptempo

lol I had this experience at Cass McCombs recently. The bassist from Phish isn't even touring with him!!

I'll plug Mystic 100s (formerly Milk Music) most recent record https://milkmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

Not sure they're a unit anymore, but they were doing the whole two sets w/ an intermission thing + liquid projects during their sets the few times I saw them in Oly. They had gone almost fully jam by last year - I heard their show at BK Bazaar was kinda rough as people were expecting more Dino Jr'y sounding stuff and they got ....jams about "drug man" and Jerry Garcia as guru

Amps for Christ def. touches on some of these vibes live and on record but it's mostly chopped up with a lot of noise.

Dead_Wizard

Postby concerning » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 pm

i should really be seeing GP all the time but i'm a hermit when it comes to live sets, however i can definitely smash the recommend button on the second set here: https://archive.org/details/garciapeoples2019-03-29.nyctaper

which is them + chris forsyth + ryan jewell doing techno top/the calvary cross/the other one. was lucky to be at this one.

concerning

Postby Dead_Wizard » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:12 pm

nice chris forsyth shreds. Where I was never really able to get into Gunn I really vibe w/ the Solar Motel stuff.
https://chrisforsyth1.bandcamp.com/album/solar-motel-3

Dead_Wizard

Postby Phil » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 pm

The last night of Forsyth's Nublu residency, and particularly the 2nd set with Ryley, is as good as this kind of thing gets: https://archive.org/details/chrisforsyt ... lu-05.flac

Phil

Postby concerning » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 am

Dead_Wizard wrote:
VHGisdead wrote:I saw Gunn (with band) a couple months ago and it was great, but I was cracking up at these fellas who seemed like they were rolling. Clearly big Gunn heads but dancing way too hard at anything remotely uptempo

lol I had this experience at Cass McCombs recently. The bassist from Phish isn't even touring with him!!

I'll plug Mystic 100s (formerly Milk Music) most recent record https://milkmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

Not sure they're a unit anymore, but they were doing the whole two sets w/ an intermission thing + liquid projects during their sets the few times I saw them in Oly. They had gone almost fully jam by last year - I heard their show at BK Bazaar was kinda rough as people were expecting more Dino Jr'y sounding stuff and they got ....jams about "drug man" and Jerry Garcia as guru

Amps for Christ def. touches on some of these vibes live and on record but it's mostly chopped up with a lot of noise.

dang the mystic 100s record slays, do you know if there's any live recordings of their jammier stuff?

concerning

Postby brent » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:20 am

god one step behind kicks so much ass

brent

Postby concerning » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm

i listen to it like 3x/day lol

concerning

Postby v h g » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:52 pm

if you're going to Garcia Peoples tonight I'll be the guy dressed as the Europe 72 album art and maiwife is Ham the astronaut chimp

v h g

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:14 am

Can’t wait to hear the tape from last night, show featured mostly jams, a few covers, and a sick High Noon Violence to close it out. Phenomenal run of shows all around. Some minor bad vibes from people getting too close to NYCTaper’s rig, and this unbearably drunk dude that was being an asshole and grabbing shoulders of people he didn’t know

rich uncle skeleton

Postby v h g » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:16 am

yeah I think that dude might have ruined their vibe at the end of the last long jam too. Great show though

v h g

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....