Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby badhat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 pm

i dont think my position is “taking the side of” anti-mask folx
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby auspice » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:11 pm

I didn't mean to say it was, sorry if my post read that way. It's just that anti-maskers are already operating from a place of deep hysteria, so when they insert themselves into public situations and endanger people I don't really think they deserve to be exempt from any equitably hysterical reactions to them, especially when they defy the authority of essential workers trying to remove them. There are vids of anti-mask people going into stores and purposefully touching as many items as they can in defiance of the rules, so just resigning to let them roam around so they don't cough in your face or whatever doesn't really seem like an effective response.

auspice

Postby badhat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 pm

i think we’re just talking about different points in the interaction.

what i’ve been talking about is: whats the safest/least likely to spread a disease course of action to take when a person walks into a store without a mask and security/clerk/manager says “maam, you have to wear a mask in here” and they ignore it or tell the person the fuck off.

my position is that at that point its in everyones interest-
especially the essential workers- to not escalate, because the risk factors you ought to be most concerned about avoiding are them yelling and either incidentally or deliberately spreading aerosol, and them being inside near you any longer than necessary.

like i get the desire to stop someone from getting away from something and the desire to stop someone from potentially doing public harm but a confrontation isnt always (or even usually) useful at avoiding that outcome. knowing when to not escalate isnt appeasement.

badhat

Postby pretty yeoman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:56 pm

Do y'all think that instead of giving an un-masked person the attention that they're probably seeking, it might work to remind everybody else in the store that the presence of an un-masked person is unsafe and that it's best to move far away from them? A store can't really blame its customers from treating an un-masked person as a serious danger. If retail companies began to suspect that the appearance of the un-masked in one of their stores was likely to grind sales to a halt our clear out the building, seems likely that the companies won't hesitate to figure out how to deal with unmasked tantrums more swiftly and effectively.

Normalize treating mask-less people like they're radioactive.

pretty yeoman

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:17 pm

badhat wrote:i think we’re just talking about different points in the interaction.

what i’ve been talking about is: whats the safest/least likely to spread a disease course of action to take when a person walks into a store without a mask and security/clerk/manager says “maam, you have to wear a mask in here” and they ignore it or tell the person the fuck off.

my position is that at that point its in everyones interest-
especially the essential workers- to not escalate, because the risk factors you ought to be most concerned about avoiding are them yelling and either incidentally or deliberately spreading aerosol, and them being inside near you any longer than necessary.

like i get the desire to stop someone from getting away from something and the desire to stop someone from potentially doing public harm but a confrontation isnt always (or even usually) useful at avoiding that outcome. knowing when to not escalate isnt appeasement.

at this point I'm beyond giving a fuck. (cf: my posts a couple pages back)

if/when I let it rip, I'll let you know how it goes

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby mego » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 pm

have MAGA facemasks been made yet?

mego

Postby mego » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 pm

sorry should have googled. the answer is of course there are maga facemasks

mego

Postby Big Oil » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 pm

everyone at Politico is an absolute baby brain

Big Oil

Postby kabanos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Can we get store managers giving the play by play location of unmaskers over the PA?
kabanos

Postby Bartatua » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:27 am

mego wrote:have MAGA facemasks been made yet?

posting from kroger in my don't tread on me mask
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby Bob511 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:28 am

On the bus, in the hallways, anytime they’re moving around: Broward students will have to wear face coverings next year if they can’t stay 6 feet away from their classmates.

When they’re seated at their desks, they can take them off, according to a plan for school. That’s because desks are set to be spread 6 feet apart, reducing the size of most classes to 14 students.

Teachers would have to wear face coverings, too. The school district would give masks to teachers, but families would have to supply them to their children.

But the school district staff said it would be hard to get all students back in the classroom and maintain social distancing. The district would have to hire 4,614 additional teachers to accommodate class sizes of 14 students. This would cost $359 million, according to district calculations.

This is going swell.
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby polybius » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 am

pretty yeoman wrote:Do y'all think that instead of giving an un-masked person the attention that they're probably seeking, it might work to remind everybody else in the store that the presence of an un-masked person is unsafe and that it's best to move far away from them? A store can't really blame its customers from treating an un-masked person as a serious danger. If retail companies began to suspect that the appearance of the un-masked in one of their stores was likely to grind sales to a halt our clear out the building, seems likely that the companies won't hesitate to figure out how to deal with unmasked tantrums more swiftly and effectively.

Normalize treating mask-less people like they're radioactive.

:!:

that's an idea
  
Image      Image Image Image Image

polybius

Postby badhat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:57 am

yeah i’ve been thinking about that post all afternoon

badhat

Postby badhat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:11 am

Bob511 wrote:But the school district staff said it would be hard to get all students back in the classroom and maintain social distancing. The district would have to hire 4,614 additional teachers to accommodate class sizes of 14 students. This would cost $359 million, according to district calculations.

what would it cost to buy a 4g enabled tablet for every student in the district?

badhat

Postby Bob511 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:24 am

Well, just last week they announced an audit of the district's last major technology purchase over insufficient/non-existent bidding, so probably more than you'd expect!
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby Stuntman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:42 am

I think we're about two weeks away from coughing-directly-into-someone's-mouth replacing the handshake.
ImageImageImage

Stuntman

Postby CudNylon » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:46 am

kabanos wrote:Can we get store managers giving the play by play location of unmaskers over the PA?

I floated the idea of stationing myself at the CCTV to make announcements like “Aisle 4 in the yellow shirt, please cover your nose as well.”

But at least for the company I work for only managers are allowed to speak to customers about masks and apparently can’t force you to leave if you don’t comply. Hahaha liability protection!

CudNylon

Postby k_uger » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 am

Stuntman wrote:I think we're about two weeks away from coughing-directly-into-someone's-mouth replacing the handshake.

it’s called a Pensacola Salute
guy forget wrote:it's hard to argue with the wheel

k_uger

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 am

I think we just need a Lunk Alarm that can be remotely triggered by cell phone that does a massive siren and automated UNMASKED DIPSHIT IN STORE, UNMASKED DIPSHIT IN STORE

Happy and Healthy!

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:19 am

I like the intercom idea.

Edit: not sure if it would lead to more maga freak outs if they can’t actually see who is talking about them
tim

whatabout tim

Postby Bernie » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:36 am

I encountered around 30 people at the grocery store this morning and only one person not wearing a mask and she seemed extremely proud of herself

Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby polybius » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:34 am

whatabout tim wrote:I like the intercom idea.

Edit: not sure if it would lead to more maga freak outs if they can’t actually see who is talking about them

this just gave me the funniest image of a crazed trump supporter hearing their name called out on a PA system and almost out of instinct pointing their assault rifle in the air, their eyes frantically darting around upward being unable to find the source of the noise as they threaten to unload a full magazine into the building's ceiling
  

polybius

Postby mcwop23 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:42 am

lady wop’s sister is a nurse at the VA here and saying elective surgeries are off again and miami ICUs are full
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby mcwop23 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:42 am

ANECDOTALLY SPEAKING
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby shankly » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:47 am

based on my reading of my county's mask ordinance, it seems like masks are required (no police enforcement), but business owners can consider people without masks trespassers if they want to get the cops involved.

in practice it probably means people can ignore the requirement because big chains aren't going to want to deal with the cops 50 times a day and the small businesses that are actually open are so desperate for tourist money they won't turn anyone away.

people here seem to be back on board with masks for the most part; still just under 600 cases across buncombe county even though asheville has been packed with tourists for the last few weeks.
shankly

Postby coop » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:50 am

:|

coop

Postby polybius » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:56 am

mcwop23 wrote:lady wop’s sister is a nurse at the VA here and saying elective surgeries are off again and miami ICUs are full

yeah it kind of broke me to hear my dad say this might apply to him desperately needing surgery/replacement for a fucked up knee but that even if it was deemed medically necessary he "wouldn't want to take up a hospital bed"
  

polybius

Postby darger » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:07 am

mego wrote:sorry should have googled. the answer is of course there are maga facemasks

yes but they are only purchased a gag gifts. none have been worn.

darger
ok

Postby goofjan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:11 am

darger wrote:
mego wrote:sorry should have googled. the answer is of course there are maga facemasks

yes but they are only purchased a gag gifts. none have been worn.

MAGA people use them to role play as snowflakes in the bedroom.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby Jake SPEED » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:22 am

MAGA in the streets but a flake in the sheets
Jake SPEED

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....