spring, summer, fall, winter... and spring (COVID19)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Cool Ranch Zorb » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:16 pm

That'd be so cool

Cool Ranch Zorb

Postby gargamel » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:18 pm

walt whitman wrote:the vaccine wont be affordable for most people. not to mention republicans don't trust medicine or believe in the virus/vaccine.

i doubt 'normalcy' will return for years

i don't agree with this

i think plenty of idiots (i know plenty of people on the left of the spectrum who are just Living Life) are fighting the culture war just because they are too callous to interrupt their day to day activities but that doesn't mean that they won't go get a shot in the arm.

gargamel

Postby Cool Ranch Zorb » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:18 pm

I think the issue with influenza is it mutates way faster

On the other hand I think coronaviruses constitute like 55% of all "colds" and nobody's ever made significant progress creating a vaccine for that

Cool Ranch Zorb

Postby gargamel » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:19 pm

gargamel wrote:
walt whitman wrote:the vaccine wont be affordable for most people. not to mention republicans don't trust medicine or believe in the virus/vaccine.

i doubt 'normalcy' will return for years

i don't agree with this

i think plenty of idiots (i know plenty of people on the left of the spectrum who are just Living Life) are fighting the culture war just because they are too callous to interrupt their day to day activities but that doesn't mean that they won't go get a shot in the arm.

anecdotally, fwiw, my whole extended family will get the vaccine and are looking forward to doing so but have did basically nothing to alter their behavior except wear masks in stores where it is absolutely required and enforced

gargamel

Postby rankoutsider » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Leicester Square, London. We're doomed.
Sprechen Sie talk?

rankoutsider

Postby Cool Ranch Zorb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Well they had fun

Cool Ranch Zorb

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:02 am

mondays wrote:Yeah but schools are already open. I guess I am under the assumption more people will "stay put" during the winter. I am under this assumption since it's what I do

Well except for big travelling holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby Grumby » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:15 am

coop wrote::|

there goes my twenties

Grumby

Postby Grumby » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:25 am

not that that's important at all

Grumby

Postby bruceagain » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:43 am

The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby Durham » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:05 am

scramble wrote:Lefr my bubble to bring my car in for service at a suburban dealership...

About half of staff wearing masks, and half of those are pulled down below noses... self serve drinks station in waiting are is open as usual but hey they have removed all brochures and shit from the racks

Had a midweek dealer service in red state just outside an urban area but not quite total suburban hell. All masked staff and fellow waiting customers, food and drinks gone, lots of space to spread out and work. Pleasant surprise

Durham

Postby Big Oil » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:03 pm

rankoutsider wrote:Image

Leicester Square, London. We're doomed.

Big Oil

Postby The Lof Gang » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:19 pm

I've officially reached the point of being outright jealous of the yahoos and it's probably not long before I join them
it's the suspense that gets me wrote:wandering around the house grunting "UUHHHHHH PUT IT ON MEEEEEHHHH"

The Lof Gang

Postby The Lof Gang » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:33 pm

yup that's right I'm gonna go fuckin *wild* and order a pizza

it's been real
it's the suspense that gets me wrote:wandering around the house grunting "UUHHHHHH PUT IT ON MEEEEEHHHH"

The Lof Gang

Postby kid pretentious » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:40 pm

so my last covid test revealed that i apparently have an entirely different coronavirus called hku1, no treatment or quarantine required. any of you Hipinion doctor types know much about it? i think i’ve had this since february and just need to quit booze and smokes for a couple weeks. do i need to stop running (50 mi/week) for proper recovery rest? can i take weed gummies so i don’t have to survive solely on seltzer?

asking the important questions here.

kid pretentious

Postby coop » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:56 pm

wait you smoke and also run 50 miles/week? :shock:

coop

Postby kid pretentious » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm

i’m full of surprises

kid pretentious

Postby tricksforchips » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:33 pm

I hate this fucking virus.

tricksforchips

Postby gauchebag » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:01 pm

imagine if they make the vaccine and test it and it works and the world celebrates and they distribute it everywhere and all the world's population gets inoculated by like august 2021....

and then....the sequel...COVID-21
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Postby wintergreen » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:23 am

this article on private equity, nursing homes, and covid is incredible:

https://harpers.org/archive/2020/09/elder-abuse-nursing-homes-covid-19/

Inevitably, then, the virus has found its most ideal conditions in the warehouses storing America’s elderly population. No one knows the current death toll. As of early July, CMS put the number at 33,509, but the count covered only federally regulated nursing homes, not assisted-living communities. The homes, moreover, were not required to report deaths that occurred before May 8, although the agency said it was confident that “the vast majority” did so. One in five nursing homes didn’t bother to report their numbers at all. A New York Times study in late June put the number of deaths in U.S. nursing homes at a staggering 55,000, but even this figure did not necessarily include all of those who became infected in a home but died in a hospital, as was the case for Sharon Mitchell. In some states, the vast majority of COVID-19 deaths were in homes: 64 percent in Massachusetts, 68 percent in Pennsylvania, 77 percent in Minnesota. In New Jersey, one in every ten people housed in nursing homes or assisted-living centers died.

As Okusanya told me, success in the nursing-home business lies in “getting the Medicare-Medicaid mix right.” In March, nursing homes suddenly got a significant boost in Medicare patients. Owing to (another) miscalculation by modelers overestimating the severity of the pandemic and the consequent shortage of hospital beds, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and other states ordered hospitals to off-load medically stable patients to nursing homes, including people who had been diagnosed with and treated for COVID-19. The nursing homes were required to accept them, and in New York, Governor Andrew Cuomo forbade homes from testing new arrivals. The results were disastrous, as carriers broadcast the virus throughout overcrowded facilities. Once this was publicized, Cuomo and other state executives came in for well-deserved abuse. But for nursing-home owners, there was a silver lining. In October 2019, Medicare instituted a change to its payment systems that made it more profitable for nursing homes to accept Medicare patients from hospitals. According to one analysis, data from April “clearly shows COVID-positive patients generated higher rates than non-COVID patients”—$699 per patient per day, an increase of 9 percent over February’s numbers. Patients were evicted to make room, the New York Times reported, many of whom wound up in “homeless shelters, rundown motels, and other unsafe facilities,” though this has long been a common practice in the industry.

However, an arid statistical table published last year by the World Health Organization suggests a more fundamental truth. It tabulates the number of nursing-home beds per hundred thousand people in each European country. Sweden scores very high—1,276 per hundred thousand. Britain is also high, at 847. The same computation puts the United States at 515. Greece, on the other hand, whose citizens tend not to put their elderly relatives in homes and still regard their care as a family responsibility, scores a mere 15. The disparities in casualty rates are equally striking. In terms of deaths per hundred thousand, Sweden’s rate is 53; the United Kingdom comes in at 66; and the United States has 39. Greece, meanwhile, despite having the largest proportion of elderly people in Europe, has so far escaped with a mere 2 deaths per hundred thousand. One might almost conclude that the death toll that has so traumatized and destabilized much of Western society in 2020 was not wrought principally by the coronavirus, but by nursing homes.

i highly recommend reading the entire article.

wintergreen

Postby inkling » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:39 pm

wintergreen thanks for posting that article

it hits home for me because in march I pulled my 87 year old dad out of a nursing home, over the objections of my half-siblings, his children from a previous marriage. They were just happy someone else was taking responsibility for him (“professionals”).

But my dad was scared of his living in a home during a pandemic and so was I, so I drove 8 hours and got him. When I arrived none of the staff were wearing masks or distancing, even though the place was on lockdown and there had been local outbreaks. I was furious. I had isolated myself for 14 days before getting him. I hadn’t gotten out of my car on the drive. I only stopped to piss in an empty bottle in my car.

A month later residents and staff started testing positive at his facility.

my dad has pretty severe memory problems. We’ve been living in isolation together since march, just the two of us. I’m lucky to work from home.

taking care of him, which I do completely by myself, has been the hardest time of my life

I hate this country so fucking much, the way we abandoned each other. We had plenty of warning this was going to happen. We’re garbage.
a person's life is like a song

inkling

Postby shark week » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:42 pm

inkling, that is fucking heroic

i'm sure that's no consolation though

i would've done the same thing, assuming i had the means.
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby wintergreen » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:56 pm

that's very admirable, inkling. i'm glad your dad is okay, and i hope things ease up for you soon.

wintergreen

Postby sushi x » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:13 pm

my grandmother died last night in a nursing home that's dealing with a covid outbreak. she was 103. she died senile, confused and with no loved ones with her.

my dad caught covid last month. he's 70 and had a quadruple bypass, but he got through it, with a three night stay in the hospital. luckily i live with him, and i had the time to take care of him, but what an awful two weeks. i have a feeling like he might not survive it a second time. i'm working in retail now because i'm desperate for money.

yes, this is a hateful country

sushi x

Postby tgk » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:17 pm

congregate settings need to be eliminated

tgk

Postby LaAbeja » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:28 pm

I have posted this previously but my landlord/neighbor recently quit his job at a high-end assisted living facility, basically pitching/marketing to potential new move-ins. His org told him to lie when people asked how many cases they had and say none.
Fear is an illusion!

LaAbeja

Postby loaf angel » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:58 pm

https://gizmodo.com/anti-maskers-forced-to-dig-graves-for-covid-19-victims-1845046526

At least eight people who have refused to wear masks during the coronavirus pandemic have been forced to dig graves for people who died from covid-19 in the province of East Java, Indonesia, according to a report from the Jakarta Post.

“There are only three available gravediggers at the moment, so I thought I might as well put these people to work with them,” local politician Suyono told Tribun News, according to an English-language translation by the Jakarta Post.

The article notes that anti-maskers who are being punished are not forced to handle the dead bodies and are instead doing the manual labor of digging graves and preparing the plots with wooden planks to support the caskets. Public health officials in the district of Cerme handle the bodies using full-body protective equipment, ensuring there’s no risk of exposure.

Indonesia instituted a national law requiring masks to be worn in early April but that policy was strengthened in July after East Java saw a spike in cases and a survey of the region found that 70% of people in the province weren’t wearing a mask. Indonesia, like many other low and middle-income countries, has struggled to contain the spread of the virus for reasons that often center around a lack of wealthy and resources—something that can limit testing and contact tracing. But masks are a relatively inexpensive public health measure that can literally save lives.
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby Viola Swamp » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:06 pm

i'm all for it

Viola Swamp

Postby Tai-Pan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:49 pm

sushi x wrote:my grandmother died last night in a nursing home that's dealing with a covid outbreak. she was 103. she died senile, confused and with no loved ones with her.

my dad caught covid last month. he's 70 and had a quadruple bypass, but he got through it, with a three night stay in the hospital. luckily i live with him, and i had the time to take care of him, but what an awful two weeks. i have a feeling like he might not survive it a second time. i'm working in retail now because i'm desperate for money.

yes, this is a hateful country

sorry for your loss sushi x :cry: and yeah, fuck the people who make me hate this country.

Tai-Pan

Postby sadville » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:58 pm

my partner had covid and now i probably do; she's fine; i'm okay, some symptoms, and i've definitely felt better. i'll know tomorrow.

in 2020 bingo, my mom's husband who's a boss at driving a big truck to disaster sites and cleaning everything up while being super chill and laid back went to lake charles to clean up after laura, came back with covid. seems like he's gonna be okay but god damn
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

sadville

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....