Niece wants to join the Air Force(need book reccs)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Chyet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 pm

She's 12. I think she saw wonder woman in the theaters. My brother says she's already testing in college levels so, norm for family don't have to worry about her brain. Cultural knowledge will be well below average tho. I need to work up to octavia butler, I guess. What are the feminist YA's in scifi and fantasy I can buy her.

I bought her A Wrinkle in Time recently to get it rolling(she goes to church), going to send Ender's Game.
ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards/and hell is dark

Chyet

Postby John Dark » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Not sf, but Code Name Verity seems like it would be appreciated.
Now here is the lake. And I still haven't changed.

John Dark

Postby Chyet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 pm

on her father's side i'm just trying to convince him to send her to the best school. She wants to go to the AF Academy. I think I can convince him its a waste of money bc it really is. My pitch: send her to a great public school and if she wants to commission and lose money, sure. that gives her 4 years to make cool friends

Chyet

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm

I was just hanging out with my nieces last Saturday (ages 15 and 6) and we got pizza and I put on Porco Rosso because it's the only Ghibli I hadn't seen and my older niece loves anime, anyway she absolutely loved the film because she wants to study engineering in college and she was ALL about the sassy feminist engineer-mechanic Fio. in fact she afterwards made a pic of Fio her new avatar on her insta. that made me really happy

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby theta » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:37 pm

Galax-Arena, by Gillian Rubinstein, is a 1995 science fiction novel following 3 children who are kidnapped by aliens. It deals with issues of slavery, what we know versus what we believe to be true, the difference between children and adults, street people (children), and spirituality, to an extent.
big zorb wrote:If you don't have a combination of

A) a need to walk around all the time
B) a real hatred of capital and
C) real bad depression

I don't think I understand you tbh

theta

Postby Chyet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:38 pm

anime is a great suggestion. her dad(my lil bro) was into DBZ and vampire hunter d in hs, so i bet anime flies under the radar, too.

My first instinct was persepolis but rereading it, it will still look like homework for a while

Chyet

Postby paused anime for this » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:40 pm

I recommend these four books:

The Dark is Rising by Kameron Hurley. It's like The Hunger Games mixed with Ender's Game and all of the elements of a YA dystopian future. Hurley, a Canadian, wrote her debut novel before the 2012 U.S. Presidential election and has since been working on several others. The Dark is Rising is her first novel. Hurley's debut novel is a dystopian novel, but not just a dystopian one. It's a sci-fi dystopian novel, set in the near future in the U.S. where a dystopian future is coming closer. As with other dystopian YA's it is about the future. You can see the author's name on her debut novel. Her other books include The Book Thief and The Dark is Rising.

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. It's the best book of the series. I would highly recommend this series. Clare is a young adult YA writer whose first novel was released in 2012, The Mortal Instruments. The series is her first. Clare's debut novel is the best in the series. It was one of the top 10 New York Times bestselling books of 2012, but Clare has since published two more novels in the series. The series is also set in the near future after a massive earthquake. It's set in the same universe as the Harry Potter series. Clare has been working on several sequels to her own debut novel. The Mortal Instruments was the #1 New York Times bestselling book of 2012, but the series is currently in its 7th book.

Dawn by Ann Leckie. You know this book as the book that won the Hugo Award, and you might remember the book from the video game game. This book features a young author and a teenage protagonist. I really love the book. It features science fiction elements, but it also features fantasy elements. As with most YA and SF books, it is science fiction. It features a young woman in a young adult science fiction book. The protagonist is a teenager who uses magic to help a friend survive in a post-apocalyptic world. The book's premise is the most interesting part.

The Maze Runner by James Dashner. This book is one of my favorite books, I would recommend this to anyone. The book is set in the post-apocalyptic world of Panem. The book is set in that world, but it features science fiction elements.

paused anime for this

Postby iambic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:42 pm

yeah leckie and n.k. jemisin

iambic

Postby Debbie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 pm

Chyet wrote:on her father's side i'm just trying to convince him to send her to the best school. She wants to go to the AF Academy. I think I can convince him its a waste of money bc it really is. My pitch: send her to a great public school and if she wants to commission and lose money, sure. that gives her 4 years to make cool friends

Extremely good advice

Did I miss it: where does she live? Bama or Florida?

Debbie

Postby Lil Gugger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Omg I'm dumb NVM readi g comprehension
Last edited by Lil Gugger on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lil Gugger

Postby Chyet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm

she's lived between Flomatan/Century(Alabama) and Cantonment (30 miles north of Pensacola) her whole life

Chyet

Postby Jeremy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:40 pm

Jeremy

Postby alaska » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:43 pm

wizard of earthsea??/ i didnt read them till i was an adult but i taught it to a fifth grader a couple of years ago and he was into it
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool

alaska

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....