Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Debbie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 pm

Chyet wrote:don't care much about this song but always though "Back in the Saddle" was kinda snubbed. slaps.

Throughout the entirety of the 2012 election I sang this to the lyrics "Barack!! Barack Hussein Obama agaaaaiiin ... Barrack!!"

Debbie

Postby sympathy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:28 pm

fester wrote:blondie's rapture is the first time i can think of a rock band doing anything to put rap into their music, but that song is more disco than rock and it's also gross cultural appropriation and it sucks

can I get a source on this?

sympathy
ok

Postby Grumby » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:32 pm

you gotta keep on eatin' cars

Grumby

Postby Chyet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:33 pm

when i played freshman football there was a pregame ceremony in which we ate peanut butter sandwiches, a banana, drank gatorade, and then everyone would shuffle into an empty classroom. They'd turn off the lights and we'd all put throw on headphones and listen to cd's/nap for an hour. I only had two cd's, Smash by the Offpspring and Bootleg by Aerosmith. So for all the games I listened to Bootleg or my friend's copy of Ozzy-tribute. Know both by heart. "Do you feel it right now" guitar-voice right before sweet emotion lol :P

I think its why I also have a hard time thinking of Aerosmith as a glossy band despite half a century of evidence
ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards/and hell is dark

Chyet

Postby blurst of times » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:36 pm

snuggle wrote:Without this song there would be no Judgement Night soundtrack

without this song there would be no limp bizkit, so maybe think twice before disparaging it...

blurst of times
thread skimmer

Postby mortimer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:37 pm

That’s the best song on Rocks, though
mortimer

Postby Grumby » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:37 pm

limp bizkit are beastie boys dispatches. to their credit, i don't think they heard this and were like "fuck yeah!!!"

Grumby

Postby Chyet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 pm

Chyet

Postby mortimer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:40 pm

My favorite Rap rock rumor I frequently see online is

mortimer

Postby polybius » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:45 pm

i have a weird memory associated with this song that im still not 100% convinced wasn't a false one where one night i was in the car with my mom and the radio was tuned to some classic rock station i couldn't easily identify as being local, a woman's voice (i presume was the dj) pretty much did a verbal reading of the lyrics with absolutely no music or anything. all i remember is her saying "walk this way" repeatedly in this faux-sultry voice

it happened a long time ago and i think about it a lot, mainly for how weird as hell it was

polybius

Postby BlackSugar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 pm

I totally agree that this song benefited aerosmith more, but run dmc did very very well with it too. there's no way they would have headlined a national coliseum/arena tour, which they did and I attended, without it
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Grumby » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 pm

this is way better and a more cohesive first statement of "rock and rap"

Grumby

Postby Grumby » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 pm

so in that retrospect, run dmc are the first to combine the two genres correctly. but this song still fucking sucks!

Grumby

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:08 pm

lots of old rap songs use the (mostly sampled) instrumentation in recognizably "rock"-oriented formats and the idea of "rap" as a genre (much like the idea of genres) rather than a form of vocalization will probably largely disappear with about 15 more years' worth of ongoing culture

the only distinction between this track and lots of other shit is 1. wow Real Guitars (no one cares about this anymore, you can sample your own smacked ass and make it sound like a guitar now) and 2. Big Legacy Act

you ever heard the record Pigmeat Markham did with Khanate
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 pm

Debbie wrote:
Chyet wrote:don't care much about this song but always though "Back in the Saddle" was kinda snubbed. slaps.

Throughout the entirety of the 2012 election I sang this to the lyrics "Barack!! Barack Hussein Obama agaaaaiiin ... Barrack!!"

I remember this bit, it killed

Ferrous Bueller

Postby scramble » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 pm

yeah run dmc was first, in fact on their debut lp tho, not king of rock

Kenny wrote:Some day when I am dead, you slow pokes will get that I have been hilarious for years.

scramble

Postby Grumby » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Sissy Spacerock wrote:lots of old rap songs use the (mostly sampled) instrumentation in recognizably "rock"-oriented formats and the idea of "rap" as a genre (much like the idea of genres) rather than a form of vocalization will probably largely disappear with about 15 more years' worth of ongoing culture

the only distinction between this track and lots of other shit is 1. wow Real Guitars (no one cares about this anymore, you can sample your own smacked ass and make it sound like a guitar now) and 2. Big Legacy Act

you ever heard the record Pigmeat Markham did with Khanate

all good accurate points and agreed. i just wanted to say that as something as bad as this that is HISTORICALLY CREDITED as the first thing to do this thing (by yeah idiot vh1 heads and the grammys.. so does it matter, no probably not), it's actually a disservice.

Grumby

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:16 pm

it's all just someone walking or riding a horse or listening to engines or birds or humming or driving a stake it's all the same shit
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby Grumby » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:17 pm

aerosmith got so much mileage out of this and have any of these guys talked about rap afterwards?

fuckin' hell, tommy lee formed methods of mayhem. that's a real commitment

Grumby

Postby Chyet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:
Debbie wrote:

I remember this bit, it killed

that flooded back to me

Chyet

Postby thrang » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:34 pm

I hate this song very much
thrang

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....