Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby cooly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:15 am

NEWEST UPDATE 4/12/2020
dm me if you want to donate. i think the paypal is ok but i want to keep it monitored closely

NEWER UPDATE 3/19/2020 (for donees)

Whenever possible, try to give us at least 5 days warning before you need money and a precise amount (budgeting in ONLY essentials, like food, rent, and utilities.) This will make sure both that we can figure out how much we can afford to send you (merciel, svc, and I are having conversations about how much money we have and who needs the money etc., and the extra time helps us figure out the numbers) and that you will get the money in your bank account in time to pay your bills. The decision process will purely be about how much you absolutely need and how much we can afford to give from the fund. If you've already made a request, please DM me a reminder 5 days beforehand if possible so that I prioritize figuring out your case. I'm kinda getting an information overload ATM, and I'm keeping a spreadsheet with whatever info I can, but it's possible for me to forget things.

NEW UPDATE
We have been getting very generous donations, but funds are honestly extremely limited for the amount of people that will need it. What we have is in the low thousands, not in the tens of thousands. We're going to need to budget to make sure as many people as possible can eat and pay rent for as long as possible. This fund is really for getting as many people as possible the bare essentials through an extremely difficult time. I can't promise that everyone will get what they need. We're all doing our best to help the most we can.

UPDATE (IMPORTANT: READ BEFORE DONATING)
Paypal is charging us transaction fees for international transactions (I live in USA), so our preferred method of donating (especially for relatively small sums) is that you contact me and I give you the direct paypal account of the person you are donating to. We also want to minimize the amount of transactions we make from the fund itself, so we will be doing large donations via the fund rather than a series of small distributions whenever that is satisfactory for the donee. It's going to save everyone money if you can figure out how much you need and when you need it in large sums, so please try to do that whenever it's possible so I'm not just sending you small sums and getting the fund charged on the regular.

CURRENT DONEES:
separator- lost service industry job due to virus, hoping for unemployment relief to come through, if not will likely need help to pay rent (-1050) at the end of the month.

blab- unemployed, wife's clients canceling. has bills that she doesn't have a clear way of paying at the moment. april bills / rent: $1995 final goal, we've covered $100 so far

virile- trying to get EI. Not sure if he can work from home or not and might need about $1000 to pay bills, rent, and credit card (stocked up on food) this month.

futurist- laid off, used savings to give cat surgery recently. needs help making rent and utilities. case seems relatively urgent. we've sent futurist $30 but will send more from the fund later

stuntman- paid hourly, concerned about what's happening with job and making bills

CURRENT DONORS:
unome
brian dennehy fan
virtuous
merciel
svc
DasLofGang
Lil Gugger
nice pass
Bernie
junglejim
blacksugar
shotfrog
sadville
mystery meat
port
mcwop
sadville
kit fox
sordid affair
iambic
quinine
farmer
aeris
peptobysmol
joe
johnk

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BECOME A DONEE: DM me with a $ approximation of what will be sufficient to meet your needs. also dm me your paypal and/or venmo information. also let me know if you would like to remain anonymous. if you do not wish to remain anonymous and would like people to know who they're donating to and for what reason, post ITT describing whatever parts of your story you feel comfortable sharing

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BECOME A DONOR: DM me. The paypal is locked down, so I'll just direct you to the people who need it or tell you to wait until the paypal is back up.

ORIGINAL POST
i know we have a lot of boarders working in retail, restaurants, etc., and over the next few weeks things might be hard for people who don't have family / friends to help them make rent and/or get food.

see the above for more current information on how to participate, either as donor or as donee. the gist of it is DM me your needs, your paypal / venmo info, and whether or not you would like to remain anonymous, and i'll put you on the list above. you are also welcome, but by no means obligated, to post your story in this thread.

if you want this money to be a "loan", we can keep track of whoever donated to your cause so you have the opportunity to give it back down the line, but it will assumed by default that what you need is a "gift."

i doubt this thread will be super useful today because we haven't really seen the effects of this yet, but i think it's good to have a thread like this while we go into the next few weeks. at the very least, it might make it easier, down the line, for people to ask for help if we have a thread in place with a bunch of willing donors posting in it.

it's all love, we're in this together.

also i mentioned food/rent, but if you have medical bills related to c-19 you can't pay feel free to post them here
Last edited by cooly on Sat May 16, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 69 times in total.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby ecto » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:15 am

I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen

ecto

Postby warmjets » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 am

happy to help as long as i'm employed

warmjets

Postby mcwop23 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 am

sticky this shit
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby mcwop23 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 am

pissy dan will be so mad about the sticky sitch
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby mcwop23 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:19 am

actually 5 stickies would be a bit much
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby delgriffith » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:20 am

Great idea, cooly
delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:20 am

I got paid on Friday and as long as my job doesn't shut down completely during this, I can help
delgriffith

Postby Lil Gugger » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 am

Thanks for stepping up and being the one to actually coordinate this

Lil Gugger

Postby virtuous » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:24 am

Thanks cooly, happy to help
virtuous

Postby guidance » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am

my restaurant hasn’t shut down (yet), but i’m on salary so hopefully there won’t be a loss. assuming they still pay me i will definitely help where i can

guidance

Postby separator » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:29 am

good idea

separator

Postby bruceagain » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:30 am

this seems very well intended but i'm not sure a webforum is the best platform for distributing money to such a disparate group
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby theta » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:30 am

i was thinking about having a collective mutual aid fund but i agree with you that it’s better to do through direct individual donations. both paypal and venmo would probably work for that, right?

i am a willing donor
big zorb wrote:If you don't have a combination of

A) a need to walk around all the time
B) a real hatred of capital and
C) real bad depression

I don't think I understand you tbh

theta

Postby cooly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:34 am

oh theta you might be right. i thought venmo might be better bc in my experience it's easier to actually withdraw money from venmo into your bank account than it is in paypal, and paypal is the kind of company that i don't trust in situations of need to step up to the plate (i can see a lot of donations getting stuck and difficult to withdraw when we actually need them asap.) i might be under-informed about how paypal works today though, and, if i'm wrong, glad to switch to paypal as the default. if paypal is the better tool we can use that.

cooly

Postby normal forest » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am

In my earlier more facetious thread I expressed skepticism about this but in fact I am down and have even already made an effort to help out a couple folks

We are all in this together

normal forest

Postby bruceagain » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am

fwiw venmo isn't allowed in most non-us countries due to various banking laws
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby Bernie » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am

Great idea y'all. I'm definitely willing to contribute when needed.

Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby creedence tapes » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:40 am

Sticky it.
creedence tapes

Postby cooly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:41 am

k i edited top post to reflect that people can dm paypal info instead of venmo information if they prefer it. thanks for letting me know venmo might not work for everyone.

cooly

Postby ecto » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:54 am

only admins can sticky. nathan once again failing me
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen

ecto

Postby separator » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:58 am

I invited him to watch CBS sunday morning with me, but it looks like he is still sleeping

separator

Postby creedence tapes » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:04 am

Also I will chip in
creedence tapes

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am

Yeah just let me know how to help.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby cooly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:24 am

the way i am imagining this working:

if you have a need, try to estimate exactly how much you actually need to make the bills / get food. post that number in here, along with, if you want to, an explanation of what your situation is. there is no need to post a story if you're uncomfortable sharing; we all believe anyone posting here for donations is doing it in good faith. then dm me your venmo / paypal information.

donors will respond to that post with how much they are willing to donate and i can edit into the top post how much $ you still need. that way we don't get some people getting overfunded and some getting underfunded. whoever responds by saying they want to donate will then get a dm with me with the donee's venmo / paypal info. if you want to donate anonymously, DM me the amount you want to donate to someone so we still know how much money your donee needs.

does everyone think this system makes sense? i'm open to revising it. i'm completely improvising here.

cooly

Postby separator » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:32 am

I will just say, to publicly have to ask for financial help, even on a web forum, is probably going to be very hard for a lot of people, even those who are in desperate need, because of fucked up capitalistic social conditioning

separator

Postby cooly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:37 am

ok, i can feel that. maybe dm me your needs and i will edit into main post

(anonymous): requests $100 for food, cooly donating $50, still needs $50

does that make sense? i want to make sure we at least have a running tab of how much money everyone needs and how much is being donated to them. so we don't have underfunded and overfunded people.

sorry if my proposal was insensitive. i'm trying to organize this as best as i can and i am improvising.

cooly

Postby separator » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:40 am

No way, don't worry about it. I'm just spitballing too

separator

Postby cooly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:43 am

i should also add that i made this thread because i was very concerned until like 2 days ago that i would need some kind of financial support from family bc i work hourly and can't come in, though it looks like i can work from home and that won't happen, and it made me really concerned about others who didn't have that safety net. the point of the thread is not to shame anyone who needs help.

i know it can also be difficult to have to put a firm number on what your needs are. i think it would be helpful to have those numbers as a guideline so that we know e.g. who just needs to buy groceries for a week vs. who needs to 1k to pay rent. if anyone feels like this is the wrong way to do things, please speak up. i want this to be as shame-free and helpful as possible.
Last edited by cooly on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

cooly

Postby bruceagain » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:43 am

fwiw i was not trying to shit on anyone's efforts
it's just that nothing is ever as easy as saying let's give money to those that need it

bruceagain

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....