Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Hugh » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:42 pm

ok i just rolled credits

Hugh

Postby auspice » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:45 pm

kirito wrote:
auspice wrote:if they do another TLOU I really think they should just do away with Ellie and do a story about factions developing in one of America's cities, preferably one with really diverse / mountainous terrain to give the gameplay more variety. like story and gameplay wise it would be way more interesting to a play a game that's all about several different factions going to war with each other.

pretty disappointing that the other main faction in this game is just an evil death cult. murder is bad but please enjoy this unambiguously horrific human faction to slaughter!

Neil Druckmann: Murder...could be bad
Jerry Seinfeld: Did the Seraphites get the memo?

auspice

Postby Hugh » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:46 pm

I definitely prefer the more compact story and pacing of the first game more, but the second game is an improvement on every other level.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:49 pm

yeah the seraphites did not do much for me, but i really liked lev and his sister.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:50 pm

although the introduction of the seraphites where ellie gets hit with an arrow and all the whistling was very effective and fucking terrifying

Hugh

Postby Robo-Chachi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:40 pm

I am surprised the sex scene wasn’t requiring me to hit triangle.

I just hit Seattle: Day 2 with Abby. Have not enjoyed her part so far. As I believe someguy said, it was one thing to start with a slow slog at the beginning of the game, but to have to do it a 2nd time mid-game really takes the air out of things. So many walk and talks where I’d rather just watch a long cutscene than push a button every minute so I can squeeze a dog toy or some other meaningless input.

Plus, I just can’t give a shit about Abby, Owen and their relationship, but the game won’t let me escape it. The Seraphites just make things worse.

Just ready to be done at this point.
Toggle Spoiler

Robo-Chachi

Postby someguy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:42 pm

Day 2 definitely picks things up
apologies

someguy
ok

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:52 pm

First he doesn't wanna play guitar, now he doesn't wanna squeeze a dog toy?!
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby emotional fascism » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:05 pm

Hugh wrote:although the introduction of the seraphites where ellie gets hit with an arrow and all the whistling was very effective and fucking terrifying

just finished this section and came to rep this. really well done

emotional fascism

Postby warmjets » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:16 pm

Played a ton of this today. Almost at Abby's Day 3. Game is incredible.

warmjets

Postby kirito » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:20 pm

emotional fascism wrote:
Hugh wrote:although the introduction of the seraphites where ellie gets hit with an arrow and all the whistling was very effective and fucking terrifying

just finished this section and came to rep this. really well done

the initial whistle scared the fuck out of me and caused me to proceed very slowly through the area. jumped out of my skin when the arrow hit.

kirito

Postby Hugh » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 am

I assumed something bad would happen to Joel in this game, but based on the past trailers, I assumed that the revenge mission would be to avenge Dina's death. When Abby and her crew were introduced, I immediately realized how wrong I was. I'm glad I was able to avoid spoilers before playing for the most part.Toggle Spoiler

Hugh

Postby auspice » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:58 pm

Hugh wrote:I assumed something bad would happen to Joel in this game, but based on the past trailers, I assumed that the revenge mission would be to avenge Dina's death. When Abby and her crew were introduced, I immediately realized how wrong I was. I'm glad I was able to avoid spoilers before playing for the most part.Toggle Spoiler

I thought that exact thing and was kinda pissed that they would so carelessly tease a big moment like that. What actually happened was still a big deal and it sucked to have that spoiled but at least I got through that moment right away.

auspice

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:29 pm

After a three day hiatus I'm back on my bullshit. These fellas need to stop popping out of walls and scaring the shit out of me.

jalapeño ranch

Postby kirito » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:38 pm

kind of wish the dodge wasn't in this game

kirito

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:50 pm

I cannot beat this huge motherfucker and it's driving me insane.

jalapeño ranch

Postby jack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:08 pm

just finished this. it ruled. damn.

hope they're setting up a dlc or lost legacy-style game with the post-credits title screen.

jack

Postby jack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:09 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:I cannot beat this huge motherfucker and it's driving me insane.

if it's the guy in the hospital, pipe bombs + incendiary shotgun shells kills him pretty quickly

jack

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:34 pm

I finally made it through after getting my face ripped off 200 times.

jalapeño ranch

Postby walt whitman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:42 pm

i wish this had more bosses. still amazing tho.

since finishing ive had a TLOU2-sized void in my gaming diet. wahhh
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby chairkicker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:46 pm

yeah, i wish it had more bosses plus like one more new infected but what can you do. i'm not really complaining

chairkicker

Postby auspice » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm

kirito wrote:kind of wish the dodge wasn't in this game

not gonna lie I find the dodge impossible to use correctly. melee weapons are fun of course but trying to fight enemies with dodge/knife is such a waste of time and kind of kills the immersion for me since I'm not trying to blow through my bullets immediately

auspice

Postby Hugh » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 pm

walt whitman wrote:since finishing ive had a TLOU2-sized void in my gaming diet. wahhh

Felt this all day for real.

Hugh

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 pm

I got to a Scars encounter on The Island and decided I should pause for the day. No idea how much I have left but I'm gonna try and keep it going until the long weekend at least.

jalapeño ranch

Postby Hugh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:06 am

Loved how overpowered the smoke bombs were even on hard mode. When short on ammo, I would throw one and just completely wreck 1-2 enemies w/my melee weapon.

I’m probably going to start a new game+ on easy to clean up the rest of the trophies and then wait until PS5 to do a full run on Grounded mode (assuming that will be patched into the game in the coming months).

Hugh

Postby warmjets » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 am

I am nearly done I think. Made it to the farm last night.

I have enjoyed playing as Abby more than Ellie. The weapons are so much cooler!

warmjets

Postby warmjets » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 am

this is a perfect sequel btw. everything i liked about the first one, but better!

warmjets

Postby auspice » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:19 pm

warmjets wrote:this is a perfect sequel btw. everything i liked about the first one, but better!

I took a break from playing so I'm still mostly at the start of the game's second half, I don't yet how I feel this stacks up to the first game. I have yet to see anything really "new," but everything gameplay wise feels like a successfully revamped version of what the first game offered. Some sections feel a bit too repetitive but I had the same issue with the first game (despised the last level in the hospital and felt it really killed the game's momentum for me).

Ultimately the biggest difference is the plot - seemingly it seems the first game has the better "plot" but the first game also has an incredibly basic/simple plot that's designed entirely around a cross-country journey in order to justify the varying seasonal environments. Because the sequel takes place almost entirely in one city, it's the first time ND has attempted a more nuanced plot, and naturally it hasn't been the easiest transition, so it's hard to really rank this against the first game since the structuring of the plots is so different.

auspice

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:29 pm

spoilers for it all while I'm thinking about it

-jeffrey wright was a weird decision as isaac. I was intrigued by the character for a few minutes but a few minutes is basically all the game gives you about him

-the hook worked on me. I cared a lot about abby. ellie being so annoying to fight from the other side as this tough badass soldier was a fun way to go about it

-I basically didn't recognize anyone but mel and abby from the initial WLF group for half the game. I thought bearded owen who tells you mel is pregnant and young love owen with no beard were separate characters until I saw half the abby flashbacks. I didn't realize manny was even in the initial WLF group until someone in this thread said something a few pages ago (I'm just now catching up)

-I'm sure it wouldn't be any different if I didn't stop, but in the last abby ellie fight, I got so sick of tapping square to plunge the knife into abby's chest I just stopped as soon as we got a little in there and abby's eyes bulged. she pushed it out and ellie lost the knife and I felt a lot better starting the fist fight. that ellie let her go after that felt like some consequence of that decision for half a second. I know that isn't the case, but I really liked it

-really loved how much we avoided the SERIOUS ZOMBIE CLICHES in this one (until you get to the vipers with the chained infected). I'm not saying it felt out of character for the biker gang faction to be that way, but it felt more walking dead than TLOU

-I'm gonna remember this less the longer I get away from it, but this felt like so much longer than 30-some hours, and maybe not necessarily in a great way. it was exhausting doing set piece after set piece, and not necessarily emotionally. I was glad to see the look-at-a-space-capsule-or-teddy-bear sections for the breather and because I enjoyed it more than the look around, kill four by stealth, kill three by combat, loot, repeat 3x loop after awhile.

-fuckin missed enough coins and cards not to complete either

-in the abstract some of the ways they characterized abby feel like a funny grabbag of generic NPC interests a DM would make up on the fly. "oh yeah, you hate abby huh? well did you know she's a REAL person, too? that she COLLECTS COINS? that she LIKES CLASSIC LITERATURE? oh, bet you didn't think she LOVES DOGS?"
Toggle Spoiler

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby Hugh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:48 pm

WHITEBOYWASTED wrote:
jeffrey wright was a weird decision as isaac. I was intrigued by the character for a few minutes but a few minutes is basically all the game gives you about him
Toggle Spoiler

I didn’t even realize that’s who it was until the credits. So weird to go to the trouble of getting him and barely using him. Maybe more was cut? It is interesting how many people connected to Westworld were involved in this game.

Hugh

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....