Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 pm

had the same experience. I saw the credits and I was pretty surprised

WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby auspice » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:58 pm

Hugh wrote:
WHITEBOYWASTED wrote:
jeffrey wright was a weird decision as isaac. I was intrigued by the character for a few minutes but a few minutes is basically all the game gives you about him
Toggle Spoiler

I didn’t even realize that’s who it was until the credits. So weird to go to the trouble of getting him and barely using him. Maybe more was cut? It is interesting how many people connected to Westworld were involved in this game.

tbh that's probably how they pulled that favor in. no one is dumb enough to turn down easy Sony money

auspice

Postby kirito » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm

how is this seal still alive

kirito

Postby Hugh » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:47 am

Almost Famous did a good job as Owen.

Hugh

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:54 am

Man
I was a little down on this game after the first couple hours because of the slow start, but this is fucking incredible. Simply love to forego the stealth kill for a well placed ammo wasting bullet to the head from behind. RIP brain matter. Def been having a blast with photo mode.

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby warmjets » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:23 am

Finished this last night. The final scene with Joel made me tear up. I don't think that's ever happened to me playing a video game.

I am not involved in the gaming community, but it seems a lot of these low ratings because of the "story" are just homophobia/transphobia? idk i could be off, but i dont care to read any more of the garbage user reviews on metacritic.
Toggle Spoiler

warmjets

Postby walt whitman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 am

ya. critics who knock the game for story seem pretty off to me. the main complaint seems to be the critic pointing out a tension between the player mass murdering people and the moral implications of this gameplay, pushing against the ethical agenda of the plot. (ludonarrative dissonance if you will, lol) to me, this tension is generative/interesting rather than a failing

im not ~~hardcore~~ but TLOU2's story is leagues better than most stuff ive played
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am

this otherwise glowing review of TLOU2 from Slant magazine typifies the complaint i mentioned

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review-the-last-of-us-part-ii-is-a-gory-and-complex-feat-of-empathetic-storytelling/

walt whitman

Postby dr. badvibes » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm

another cool voice actor tidbit is that all of the Critical Role cast in there

i think there significant criticisms to be made about the plot and structure, but literally every anti take i've seen has devolved into "SJWs are ruining gaming!!" at some point, no matter how coherent its other criticisms were, and it makes me want to perpetuate the narrative that this is the best game of all time, and note perfect

dr. badvibes

Postby warmjets » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:28 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:i think there significant criticisms to be made about the plot and structure, but literally every anti take i've seen has devolved into "SJWs are ruining gaming!!" at some point, no matter how coherent its other criticisms were, and it makes me want to perpetuate the narrative that this is the best game of all time, and note perfect

yup

warmjets

Postby fosse » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:10 pm

Some critical takes that aren't frothing from the mouth due to representation:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxqn ... t-2-review

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2020/6/ ... l-violence

fosse

Postby kirito » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:12 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:another cool voice actor tidbit is that all of the Critical Role cast in there

i think there significant criticisms to be made about the plot and structure, but literally every anti take i've seen has devolved into "SJWs are ruining gaming!!" at some point, no matter how coherent its other criticisms were, and it makes me want to perpetuate the narrative that this is the best game of all time, and note perfect

who's mercer?

kirito

Postby auspice » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:32 pm

warmjets wrote:Finished this last night. The final scene with Joel made me tear up. I don't think that's ever happened to me playing a video game.

I am not involved in the gaming community, but it seems a lot of these low ratings because of the "story" are just homophobia/transphobia? idk i could be off, but i dont care to read any more of the garbage user reviews on metacritic.
Toggle Spoiler

they were already pissed about having to play as Ellie so Joel being killed by a WOMANToggle Spoiler really made their heads spin.

Ellie being gay was also highly upsetting, on top of the fact that the two most prominent women in this game aren't "hot" by traditional standards (seriously - I've seen constant complaints from adult men about how ND made Ellie "less attractive" on purpose which gives me a serious :roll: face due to her age in the first game - straight men just love telling on themselves).

auspice

Postby Robo-Chachi » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:47 pm

<big horrific event happens>
“We have to get out of here...NOW!!!”
<leisurely begin rummaging around the room for rags and screws>

Robo-Chachi

Postby warmjets » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:14 pm

lol yup

warmjets

Postby Hugh » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:15 pm

warmjets wrote:Finished this last night. The final scene with Joel made me tear up. I don't think that's ever happened to me playing a video game.Toggle Spoiler

Favorite cut scene in the whole game. Nearly broke me.

Hugh

Postby kirito » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:28 pm

there have been a lot of situations where i've wasted bullets in an encounter where you're supposed to just run and felt like an idiot

kirito

Postby Hugh » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:29 pm

kirito wrote:there have been a lot of situations where i've wasted bullets in an encounter where you're supposed to just run and felt like an idiot

relatable.

Hugh

Postby Robo-Chachi » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm

kirito wrote:there have been a lot of situations where i've wasted bullets in an encounter where you're supposed to just run and felt like an idiot

Same.

I’ve been burned many times trying to run through an area and ending up in a dead end where my ass is promptly kicked.

Robo-Chachi

Postby jca » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:50 pm

i think the kill rooms are really fun in this. there was one where the baddies had smoke grenades and masks. that was neat

jca

Postby archaic » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:19 pm

I was just digging in the hpn archives to find a discussion I had with svc and merciel right after tlou1 came out. We were discussing why the writers chose to keep Ellie unconscious instead of just having her volunteer for the surgery. I suspected at the time that the writers figured people would just see Joel straightforwardly as a villain in that scenario and so they chose to just have Marlene say "it's what she would have wanted" while Joel kinda looks down for a second. But I thought that even if Ellie signed a consent form before Joel went on his rampage, "so powerful an influence is playing as the character who makes these awful decisions, I bet you'd still find defenders of Joel."

Wow does this game ever take the "power of playing as a character" seriously. It's the first time I've ever even considered the ridiculous move of putting down my controller to exercise some agency (this was at the very end as Ellie and I actually did put it down and failed once or twiceToggle Spoiler) What a game. Less perfect than the first one but more effective in what it actually wants to do. Five bloody stars.
Last edited by archaic on Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
all of which are American dreams

archaic

Postby archaic » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:24 pm

One thing I'm not clear on in tlou2 though:

What are the dead bodies outside in the opening scene with Joel and Tommy supposed to mean? Seemed like fresh blood. And in the final scene Joel acts weird about where he got his coffee. Are they implying that J&T are basically pirates, robbing people for guitars and coffee? That doesn't really fit the story to me but not sure what else to think.Toggle Spoiler
all of which are American dreams

archaic

Postby dr. badvibes » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:35 pm

kirito wrote:
dr. badvibes wrote:another cool voice actor tidbit is that all of the Critical Role cast in there

who's mercer?

at the very end of the game, when Ellie is on the verge of finding Abby and breaks out the other slaves locked in the cell, a female slave is like, "let's kill her!" and a male slave is like "wait, let her go; Abby is crucified down yonder on the crucifixion beach" .... i think that's his character

travis is one of the "brute" class enemies that Abby fights, i think the one at the end of the flaming village sequence

assuming everyone else just did various lines/grunts/screams for the generic enemies
Toggle Spoiler

dr. badvibes

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Finished this last night.

My partner is doesn’t play computer games, but is a theatre maker and script writer with little tolerance for violence, sat and watched me play this game for the cutscenes. From her perspective, decades of games and gaming culture that had isolated women/young girls met an almighty resistance with this game and she spent a lot of it weeping.

My partner speaks often on the ‘strong female’ action hero protagonist, that has taken the position of the male action stereotype, but in a body that a man wants to fuck (Lara Croft/Black Widow etc). But TLOU2 subverts that with Ellie & Abby.

It’s not perfect and I’ll hear those criticisms, but this game is a critical moment in this multi-billion dollar industry and its existence will do a lot of heavy lifting for the sector to come. Both in character representation and multimedia storytelling. I’ll go pretty hard when debating this game from wholistic negative reviews.

I finished this not reflecting on it as bleak, but hopeful.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby walt whitman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 pm

good post

walt whitman

Postby kirito » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:08 am

that hospital boss was fuckin awesome. great resident evil vibes

kirito

Postby auspice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:13 pm

When Dina and I were fleeing the news station and ran past the fenced off area with WLF shooting through I killed them all and was furious that there wasn't a way to get to the other side, as the bullets they dropped on the floor were still glowing as if they could be picked up

auspice

Postby auspice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:22 pm

Reliable Tradesman wrote:Finished this last night.

My partner is doesn’t play computer games, but is a theatre maker and script writer with little tolerance for violence, sat and watched me play this game for the cutscenes. From her perspective, decades of games and gaming culture that had isolated women/young girls met an almighty resistance with this game and she spent a lot of it weeping.

My partner speaks often on the ‘strong female’ action hero protagonist, that has taken the position of the male action stereotype, but in a body that a man wants to fuck (Lara Croft/Black Widow etc). But TLOU2 subverts that with Ellie & Abby.

It’s not perfect and I’ll hear those criticisms, but this game is a critical moment in this multi-billion dollar industry and its existence will do a lot of heavy lifting for the sector to come. Both in character representation and multimedia storytelling. I’ll go pretty hard when debating this game from wholistic negative reviews.

I finished this not reflecting on it as bleak, but hopeful.

considering this game has probably triggered far more gamergaters than any game in history yeah, it definitely accomplished something
Last edited by auspice on Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auspice

Postby Robo-Chachi » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:19 am

Robo-Chachi

Postby Hugh » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:32 am

Fucking losers. She killed it.

Hugh

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....