Thread for talking about the economy/unemployment

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby delgriffith » Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 am

without the people talking about their stocks even though they've got a thread in members for talking about their stocks already.

delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 am

My basic thoughts are: everything sucks. Here's a series of articles The Prospect ran last week about the future of employment and "the economy" in the wake of COVID: https://prospect.org/coronavirus/the-post-corona-world/

delgriffith

Postby regular ol' slokra » Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 am

in these times of economy??
;)

regular ol' slokra
Site Admin

Postby Howl's moving gugger » Tue May 26, 2020 11:09 am

regular ol' slokra wrote:in these times of economy??

You've taken the fall from employment to unemployment, now get your self jazzed to leap from unemployment to funemployment!

Howl's moving gugger
Site Admin

Postby quinine » Tue May 26, 2020 11:11 am

thanks I don't know what the fuck is wrong with that other thread but it sucks

quinine
ok

Postby mcwop23 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:12 am

i do worry about the economy appearing to be recovering with an awful unemployment rate in the fall as the Care package payments are ceased
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby mcwop23 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:12 am

and people really have no money
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby The Priest » Tue May 26, 2020 11:16 am

mcwop23 wrote:i do worry about the economy appearing to be recovering with an awful unemployment rate in the fall as the Care package payments are ceased

yep

this is what I was worried about from day 1. short of a total collapse most of the country is going to get monumentally fucked
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby figaro2 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am

unemployed person here with no real prospects...not that i did prior to all this but its really bleak right now!
figaro2

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 11:35 am

Thanks for making this thread

I have kinda come to the conclusion during the last 2 months on here that the board isnt really a place where I want to talk about Real Shit and, for the first time like ever, I've begun to dislike the general, aggregate character of this place.

I'll post in this thread though. I'm like insanely up on every piece from the prospect and every other leftist or left leaning publication I can find, but I'm currently in a waking housing related nightmare that I have to manage, after which I will unload some links in here.

Everyone on unemployment or just poor should all gather in here so we can have somewhere to talk without getting boardsplained all the fucking time or, if precoronavirus, so plarformless that you dont even bother talking about what poverty really feels like.

That covid thread is like a future comptrollers of America slack channel.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 11:37 am

"Yes, noted, but we have to think about what is sustainable long term for the community and what really matters to the disadvantaged"

-A hundred different boarders

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 11:38 am

See, they joined the DSA in 2017.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 am

After joining the DSA, I finally started to listen. I dont think they emphasize that enough in grad school, yknow?
Last edited by lockheed on Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby alaska » Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 am

i got on unemployment and i'm makng more money than i have at any point in my life
it owns as long as i do not think about the future
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 11:47 am

Yeah I didnt have a job at all and I'm on unemployment right now and yah it owns alaska. I have a brand new Timex watch that will be here on Thursday, extremely pumped. Been watchless for months now.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 11:51 am

I look at my left wrist every now and then and think to myself where is my watch? I really miss when there was a watch there.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby alaska » Tue May 26, 2020 11:53 am

that rocks
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby alaska » Tue May 26, 2020 11:54 am

i had to block "alibris.com" bc i was compulsively buying so many used books
basically the entire oeeoeoeoeuvres of gene wolfe and samurel delany are in the mail. i think im getting like 8 packages today lol

alaska

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 11:59 am

I also really wanted to get a lamp and a chair for my room, which lead to me having like a 100 browser tabs open, a bunch of etsy/craigslist inquiries, and it was just too much and then I was like no no dont spend any of the money it's a trick. But then I calmed down, a day passed, I calmed down and got thai food delivered which of course I had to pay for, and that transaction softened me up to get the watch yesterday.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby garbiel » Tue May 26, 2020 11:59 am

watch band too big for my wrist
Low Tier God wrote:it's impossible to be a leftist as an american. maoist third worldism is the only way.

garbiel

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 11:59 am

What I meant to say alaska is I almost went on tilt and wish I did because I am pretty pumped about getting a package

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby port » Tue May 26, 2020 12:04 pm

My industry is dead and I probably won’t be working until at least next year. It’s depressing!

port

Postby garbiel » Tue May 26, 2020 12:07 pm

port wrote:My industry is dead and I probably won’t be working until at least next year. It’s depressing!

hey port you work in theatre right
gf is in exact same situation
: (
Low Tier God wrote:it's impossible to be a leftist as an american. maoist third worldism is the only way.

garbiel

Postby The Priest » Tue May 26, 2020 12:08 pm

my industry is event adjacent and everyone's penciling in 2021 at this point
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 12:15 pm

I keep checking the pulse on whether they're really going to discontinue the additional $600 after 7/31 and it's still pretty frighteningly up in the air, especially since we are most likely going to see fucking WAVES of pro business (intentional or not) copy from every editorial corner over the next couple months that will try to undermine the need for continued PUA benefits and shape public opinion on the matter, like usual.

But I feel like they're going to have to extend it anyway, if only because they're terrified about not actually knowing what would happen if they did, beyond everyone else on solid ground knowing it would be a real human catastrophe and fairly immediate. I could see it getting cut to $300 tho.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby port » Tue May 26, 2020 12:18 pm

garbiel wrote:
port wrote:My industry is dead and I probably won’t be working until at least next year. It’s depressing!

hey port you work in theatre right
gf is in exact same situation
: (

Yep!
Give your gf my condolences. If she’s an actor, I hope she’s Equity - the Union is being super careful about restarting anything but non-professional theatres in like Utah are probably going to open with no safeguards. Good fucking luck.

port

Postby lockheed » Tue May 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Port move back to new York dont stay out west. It's the right choice.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby alaska » Tue May 26, 2020 12:20 pm

lockheed wrote:I keep checking the pulse on whether they're really going to discontinue the additional $600 after 7/31 and it's still pretty frighteningly up in the air, especially since we are most likely going to see fucking WAVES of pro business (intentional or not) copy from every editorial corner over the next couple months that will try to undermine the need for continued PUA benefits and shape public opinion on the matter, like usual.

But I feel like they're going to have to extend it anyway, if only because they're terrified about not actually knowing what would happen if they did, beyond everyone else on solid ground knowing it would be a real human catastrophe and fairly immediate. I could see it getting cut to $300 tho.

yeah i rly hope they extend it bc i made so little money that my state benefits aren't very good
i hope it continues so i dont have to take out as much stodent loansn come fall

alaska

Postby alaska » Tue May 26, 2020 12:20 pm

Stodent Loansn?!!!!!!!!!!!

alaska

Postby winj » Tue May 26, 2020 12:25 pm

im on long term disability and get less than 800 a month from the federal government (canada). waiting for a huge surgery that has been delayed for now and that will require a very long recovery. my wife has basically supported my existence the past few years. shes got a decent job and is still full time wfh, but has lost a lot of extra private clients due to covid... and was diagnosed with ms the past month so is having to take more time off to deal with all the symptoms and testing lately. neither of us are eligible for the federal or provincial covid relief & we are driving ourselves more and more into debt (we were before this but now ughhh). living in bloody vancouver ($$$). this really sucks and i’ve never been more depressed! the covid relief kind of feels like a slap in the face to those of us on long term disability.

winj

Next

Return to Aguachile Alley